Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dress shirt - collar tips turn in (even with rigid brass stays)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Dress shirt - collar tips turn in (even with rigid brass stays)

Hi all
    I have a few shirts where, regardless of the collar style (traditional to cutaway), and even though I use good quality stays, there's always a small but irritatingly noticeable turn-in of the collar tips. This occurs also regardless of whether I wear a tie or leave the shirt open.
    Can anyone suggest a remedy for this (other than starch)?
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By...W04YWZaQjNvS1U

regards
    Last edited by limekiln; August 13th, 2016 at 12:29 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    72 Post(s)
    Are you running the shirts through the dryer or hang drying/ironing? What brand of shirts are you wearing? Are they 100% cotton?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Quoted
    345 Post(s)
    Have had this with some of my CT shirts. Never tried starch. I eventually attributed this to the shirt being a bit too tight on the collar.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    Ironing usually fixes this for me . . . It's hard to think of a time when it doesn't, actually.

Wurkin Stiffs might solve your problem because it'll make the tip flush up against the shirt. I wouldn't wear them with ties, though I don't see any reason why you couldn't.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    201 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crims View Post
    Ironing usually fixes this for me . . . It's hard to think of a time when it doesn't, actually.
    This. I think a photo of the issue might help. It could also be that the edge stitching is too far from the edge so that the collar stay doesn't go far enough to the point. This can be reduced if you order a shirt with edge stitching on the collar, which is an option with many custom shirt makers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CMAc7 View Post
    Are you running the shirts through the dryer or hang drying/ironing? What brand of shirts are you wearing? Are they 100% cotton?

Hang drying only, 100% cotton CT shirts. Happens on both their standard and their crease-free shirts. Collar size is perfect - even ˝" more would make them look sloppy (with a tie) - which is why I buy from CT. Otherwise I love the shirts, they're excellent IMO. I guess more focus on ironing the collar might help.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    This happens to all of my Moderntailor MTM shirts and hate it. Haven't found a way to fix it - I think it just has to do with the way they construct the material in the tips of the points.

Ironing them keeps them straight for maybe an hour and then they start curling in again.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    72 Post(s)
    Almost every one of my shirts are Spier & MacKay and I never have this problem. The only time I did was years ago with a few Jos A Bank shirts. I always chalked it up to poor quality and/or the non-iron coating. Maybe certain manufacturing techniques cause curling? I have never had a CT shirts, but they have a reputation for being quality, so it beats me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    I have this exact same issue with several of my CT shirts. I actually laughed when I saw this post since I'm in the same boat...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Quoted
    345 Post(s)
    Ironing avoids this for a few hours. I have noticed this with one semi spread and one classic collar CT shirts. I have about 3-4 more and have no issues. I haven't seen this with any other brand.