Buttons on Blazer Pockets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buttons on Blazer Pockets?

I saw a few older blazers now with buttons on patch pocket flaps like this: http://oh54qjteet5b0uym.zippykid.net...-Blazer-01.jpg . Is this typical or frowned upon now? Also, on a scale of bars only to casual Friday to everyday wear to fancy dinner parties, where would it rank on the casual scale?

It is very, very casual. I'll have to look it up, but IIRC the buttoned pleated pockets on a tweed jacket were originally so your shotgun shells didn't fall out while riding. It is a true sporting jacket originally designed for hunting. Bookster is a fairly well known tweed jacket manufacturer in the traditional styles, and that SC is close to what they call a "shooting jacket."
    http://www.tweed-jacket.com/JACKET%2...%20Jacket.html
    http://tweed-jacket.com/GALLERY%20PA...ions/index.htm

Comment

Kinda cool.

Comment

I would think this would place the jacket as far to the casual end of the spectrum as a sportcoat can go. To whatever extent my subjective aesthetic judgment matters, I hate these sorts of hunting-ish details. I don't know why, exactly, but it's probably just that they strike me as too busy.

Comment

i wouldn't use that jacket in any of your scenarios. it's probably best left for a day in the english countryside.

Comment

Fred nailed it. And they're not out of style, per se. But they always have been and always will be casual. They're an outdoorsy, horseback-riding, gun-shooting sort of jacket.

Damn... Now I want to go to the range.

Comment

The reason you don't see more of them is because few people wear casual jackets anymore. They go straight from jeans to suits. I think it's a perfect jacket to wear to the bar. I would rock it.

Comment

I LOVE hunting features like that. As someone who has little excuse to wear a professional suit usually, they add fun to wearing sport coats. Bellowed pockets with buttons, leather shooting patches on the shoulder, hacking pockets, throat latches, its all great. I just really get a kick out of wearing items that show off their primordial menswear heritage.

Pretty much the rule of thumb for anything menswear is that the more features, or 'complications', and the more texture it has, the more casual it is.

Some extremes:
                - No vents, jetted pocket, solid, 1 button tuxedo VS 4 pocket, 3 button, tweed riding jacket with Bellow pockets in an overcheck.
                - A plain face watch with only an hour hand and minute hand VS a GMT flight watch with a slide rule, chronograph, day, date, and other features.
                - Black wholecut shoes in calfskin vs wingtip, brogue boots in a scotch grain pattern, with speed hooks.

Discussing hunting features also starts to get us into City VS Country wear, which you can find a lot of info on from Put This On. The idea is that men in England would have outfits for the city (Blacks, Charcoals, Navy, etc...) and for the country (Browns, Olives, etc...). As your jacket has hunting features, I would place it firmly into the 'country' section. Country inherently always being at the casual end of the spectrum. So, of your range, I'd place is solely at the 'Bar on a Friday Night' however, I'll add, I'm not a fan of country wear at night.

Lots of rules that don't really mean as much as how YOU want to wear it. But I find that stuff fun,

Comment

I really like the look of these hunting jackets with bellow pockets and action backs, but I can't think of an environment I wouldn't feel self-conscious and a bit like a phony wearing one (besides on a ranch/shooting range as Allan suggested). As someone who works a desk job, donning occasional workwear-inspired clothing is as far as I'll go.

It's like guys who dress like steampunks to go write code all day.

Comment

Originally posted by cotoks View Post
                    It's like guys who dress like steampunks to go write code all day.
                    The difference being that you could actually wear that jacket to a range if you wanted to, but the dude with his monocle and velvet top hat won't clock out and ride his steam-powered airship home. :-)
                    Last edited by alan; March 21st, 2014, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Thats bad ass jacket.

Comment

I'd wear it.

Comment

My clothing directly inspires activities I seek out: I took sailing lessons because I enjoy wearing a boat shoes. I became scuba certified because I own a Submariner (and James Bond). I've gone shooting in my Barbour. Etc... Its fun to explore menswear and the activities they originated with. My ex even took me on one of those drive-thru safaris, since I like my safari jacket so much (although some day I want to do the real thing). I think it makes you appreciate their utility more, or maybe I am just nuts.

Next on my list is to go horseback riding, since I own a couple pairs of riding boots.

Comment

I can see that. My military-inspired stuff sometmes makes me wish I were still in the military.

Comment

Originally posted by Duvel View Post
                              I can see that. My military-inspired stuff sometmes makes me wish I were still in the military.
                              Same reason I feel silly wearing anything that looks military inspired, since I never served.

Comment

Working...
                              X