$500 to turn me into Ryan Gosling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$500 to turn me into Ryan Gosling

My company offered me a $500 stipend to put towards a new wardrobe (I guess they are trying to tell me something?) I work in the IT Consulting business and am in front of clients non-stop. I want to give the gurus of Dappered.com the challenge of helping me steal the style of Ryan Gosling...because who doesn't want to look like him from Crazy Stupid Love?

Rules: Dont go over $500

Did they tell you what they expect you to buy? What's the dress code? My brother is a consultant, and he says his attire depends entirely on the clients' offices. Regardless, I suppose we're at least looking at suit, blazers, ties, etc.

Do you have ANYTHING in the way of clothing to start you off with that could be added to? If you have shoes, please post a picture.
    Last edited by alan; March 18, 2014, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Business casual?

Comment

Also, I realize that the company is giving you $500, but why does that have to be your max? It might sound like a lot of money, but it's really not once you start getting into suits and dress shoes. Even cheap suits are $200, and they're not awesome.

I would recommend matching at LEAST 50% of what the company has offered you. Go to $750. Everything you buy will still be 2/3 off. I'm assuming you're starting from somewhere near the ground floor so there is a lot of area to cover.

Comment

Also, how old are you? What's your size (or at least height and weight)?

And is Ryan Gossling even the most appropriate look for an IT consultant? (food for thought)

Comment

IT gigolo?

Comment

Originally posted by frost View Post
              IT gigolo?
              Ehhhh... I wouldn't go that far, but I've seen the movie, and Ryan Gossling definitely gives off that "off-duty" vibe.

Comment

Originally posted by alan View Post
                Ehhhh... I wouldn't go that far, but I've seen the movie, and Ryan Gossling definitely gives off that "off-duty" vibe.
                That depends on the scene I suppose.

Comment

Shirt + tie is the minimum. Suits and jackets are fairly common but not 100% required.
                  I have a few basic shirts and ties but I'm looking to expand my wardrobe. So I guess the best answer is to pretend I have nothing and go from there.
                  I could go over the $500 but that is where the challenge and the fun is!

Comment

Ryan who?

Comment

24 (25 in july)
                      5' 7"
                      165 lbs (mostly in the shoulders and chest... makes finding a suit that fits off the rack terrible)

Comment

If you already have shirts and ties, I can think of three things to really help:

1.) grey suit
                        2.) navy blazer
                        3.) dark brown dress shoes

In a perfect world, you would get all three. If that isn't possible, the next best thing is:

1.) navy suit
                        2.) dark brown dress shoes

... and you just dual-purpose the suit jacket. However, I REALLY recommend going for the trifecta.

Comment

Originally posted by Faintthought View Post
                          24 (25 in july)
                          5' 7"
                          165 lbs (mostly in the shoulders and chest... makes finding a suit that fits off the rack terrible)
                          Do you happen to know your jacket size? I'm guessing 38S or even 36S, but that's just a guess.

Comment

Originally posted by alan View Post
                            Do you happen to know your jacket size? I'm guessing 38S or even 36S, but that's just a guess.
                            Definitely closer to a 39-40S

and thanks for the help btw!

Comment

Regarding the shoes, if you want some thing slightly flashier yet still completely acceptable in a business setting, consider burgundy dress shoes. They'll carry that hint of red, but still be respectfully dark.

And with such lofty goals and such a short budget, I would go directly to for the clothing and the AE 2 for $250 sale for the shoes.

Comment

Working...
                              X