No announcement yet.

tux shoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've never understood the whole slippers with a tux thing. I would never wear them, but I won't judge

Even loafers look too much like slippers to me though, so I guess it must be a personal problem.

Comment

It's an old old traditional thing. It's kind of affected, sure, but so is a tux really. If you were wearing a killer set of tails like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12490-Ultra-Rare-KITON-3-Piece-Suit-TailCoat-Dress-Coat-Suit-EU-52-NEW-40-42-/290646871930?pt=US_CSA_MC_Suits&hash=item43abe74f7 a#ht_3373wt_1413

You'd pretty much have to have something like those dancing slippers.

Comment

Opera pumps have a long and storied history. Prior to the Regency era, essentially all men's shoes resembled what we call opera pumps, usually with a silver buckle or bow. As fashion became more austere and less extravagant in the Regency period, men began to wear dress boots for most occasions, but continued to wear the older style of pumps with stockings and breeches for dancing. They remained in use in formal wear well into the 20th century until lace-up shoes finally eclipsed both dress boots and pumps for formal wear.

Ben

Comment

now the kids wear crocs and sneakers with their suits

Comment

Thanks for the history but I still don't understand why anyone would actually wear them

To me they look absolutely ridiculous.

Comment

Ok, I've decided I'd look like an ass wearing opera pumps without tails, so I'm going with my black florsheim wingtips, which have a nice shine on them. But if I was going to buy some opera pumps and was a half size bigger, I'd certainly snatch these up:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BROOKS-BROTH...-/170760584692

Comment

These were featured on Dappered a while back: http://www.endless.com/Magnanni-Fede.../dp/B0042WK75U - http://dappered.com/2011/05/the-1500-wardrobe-shoes/

Based on the advice of trusted salesman, I bought them to wear with a tux at my wedding. The advice was simply that patent leather usually ends up looking cheap, stiff, and even out-of-place, and that I'd be better served by a great pair of black oxfords (not blüchers) that have been polished to a shine.

Those Magnanni's are my favorite shoes, hands down. The shape is just fantastic—not too long, but not too stubby. The quality is great, too—nice, soft leather, shines up really well, well constructed, super comfortable. And, of course, they can be worn with other outfits as well, not just tuxes.

Great shoes, highly recommended!

Comment

So I am headed to an engagement party next month. My friend kept saying that it might be fancier than the actual wedding and now i know why. It's black tie optional at the Ritz.

My patent leather Nunn Bush tux shoes (cheap, but also bought for cheap) are pretty uncomfortable, I've found. I want to upgrade the outfit and with dueling Allen Edmonds and Amazon sales going, it seems like a fine time to do it.

I don't wear black shoes that often and my other Kenneth Cole oxfords have seen better days. So I'm thinking of getting something nice to serve dual purposes. Given the fact I want this to stand in as a tux shoe, I figure medallions should be out?

Something like the Fifth Avenue seem like a go-to option. Or the lower priced Florsheim Millport. Does that sound about right? Most formal versatility with non-medallion black plain fronts or cap toes? Anything smart I'm overlooking?

Comment

AE Park Ave's are another option. Look for closed lacing (balmoral) and simple un-adorned toes (cap-toe is fine)

Comment

Not so much for your case, Mike, but if anyone is looking for black patent leather shoes, Bates has them for $35.

Patent leather just isn't made to last. If you buy AE's patent leathers and wear them twice a year, they'll last a lifetime. I work Bates with my khaki uniform for weeks of wearing them in sand before having to replace them, which, at $35, is far more manageable than $300.

Patent leather has a thick lacquer that just plain wears out. Unless you can re-lacquer shoes, they just go kaput.

Comment

Working...
                      X