tux shoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tux shoes

Well, this cruise I'm going on at the end of the month has a formal night, which means I get to wear my J Crew Tux (I know, I know) for the first time since my wedding. I'll be wearing it with a regular black tie — no cummerbund and bow tie (I know, I know) — but I figured that I should look a little hip next to the legions of old people who will be on the ship with me. My problem: No patent leather shoes!

What should I do? Cheap retail options? Ebay options?

Discuss, please.

If you have a pair of simple black dress oxfords, I would go with those rather than going out of my way to get patent leather shoes. Especially since it's just a cruise and not really a major formal affair (like a wedding or the Marine Corps Birthday Ball or something). The problem with cheap retail is that your feet will hate you, and... well, cheap retail shoes look like cheap retail shoes. If you can find something on eBay or in the thrift store, more power to you, but I wouldn't necessarily expect that to be easy.

Besides, on a cruise you will be living out of a suitcase the whole time and shoes take up a lot of room. Might as well save the space for a pair of shoes you can wear more than once.

Ben

Comment

+1 on the simple black dress oxfords if you've got them. Do you own anything that might already fit the bill? I think that if you don't want to blend in too much, then DON'T wear the patent leather shoes. Something simple, dressy and CLEAN should work fine. They don't need to be fancy, but I think they should look like they're reserved for special occassions - just like the tux.

If you have no black shoes that will remotely fit the bill and you have to buy somethinh anyway, I would buy something that's nice enough and versatile enough to continue wearing once you get home, even if it means paying more than you otherwise would have, since you'll be able to use them more.

These were previously posted in another thread:

http://www.florsheim.com/shop/style/17067.html

I'm not a fan of patent leather, but if you're set on it, at least the cap toes provide some interest without being too busy. Again, they're not cheap, but HOPEFULLY you can find more use for them once you get home.

Comment

Or if you want something different and (debatebly) cool yet still according to dress code, have you considered black velvet slippers? I bet nobody else will have them. Go on and act like you own the place. ;-)

Comment

Two words:

Opera. Pumps.

Ben

Comment

^ BAM. I suggest some with skulls on them

Comment

What's the budget? (Assuming you don't already own anything that might pass.)

Comment

Hard to tell since the velvet soaks up so much light, but these are cheap(ish), would probably pass just fine, and they're TOM'S so a second pair will go to kids in need. If anyone questions it, just say, "I'm doing it for the kids. What have you done for them today?"

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/toms-cla...ultback=170#/1

Comment

Or with skulls as requested...

BAM!

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/p/TOMS-B...210041skuBLACK

Comment

On a more practical note (ie. if you don't go with the awesome velvet skulls), avoid all bluchers.

Comment

Oh, if only I had $450 to spend.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Perfect-Gorgeous-EDWARD-GREEN-Slip-Opera-Pumps-Tuxedo-Shoes-US-9-5D-/220927274685?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item33704aaebd

Those Florsheims might work, but I might also have something that will do. Thanks for all the input.

Comment

Those look too much like house slippers. Here's a good roundup of some options:

http://aheadlongdive.com/2012/01/05/...er-assemblage/

Comment

... except all those shoes are hundreds of dollars, and very few are actually black. :-S

Comment

Details, details... It's not easy looking good

Comment

One of the pairs is black and not too much over $100. But it ships from England and takes awhile I think.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Working...
                              X