Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check out http://www.internationalwatchman.com/home.html

Comment

FWIW, I've had good experiences with both Holben's and DeBeer. I'm partial to the ostrich strap just because it's a bit different than what most people wear. I put the lighter havana color on my gold Orient and I think it looks baller.

I've never had a Speidel strap before so I can't comment on their quality.

Ben

Comment

I saw that picture in a different thread and it gave me the idea for the ostrich. I didn't realize that was also yours, BenR. I do like the lighter tan I wonder how that would look with my Seiko.

I've heard people suggest International Watchman before but I'm not sure what style strap to pick.

Comment

For an everyday wear watch, especially with a steel case, I think I would stick with the darker brown. I got the lighter color because I wanted something that would complement the gold better than the dark burgundy, almost black croc strap the watch came with.

Ben

Comment

@laxattackdog, I've been looking at their shell cordovan straps... My other favorite is the oily leather, but I don't think there's a wrong answer. I like pretty much all of the straps I see on there.

Comment

It looks like you have to give out a CC number by phone or email with International Watchman? I generally don't like to do that but you and others have had good experiences?

Comment

I haven't ordered yet, but lots of people said they had good experiences on watchuseek.com

Comment

Just an FYI about the International Watchman. Be sure you know what you want and that, effectively, there are no returns.

They charge a restocking fee of 25%. Which sounds kind of on the reasonable side of high, but not crazy. Until you realize that it's not on the price you paid but on his arbitrary MSRP value. And then it seems crazy high.

Consider that many of their $6.00 bands have an "MSRP" of $20, given that you'll have to pay return shipping, it's just not worth it to return a $6.00 strap to get back $1.00 and pay a restocking fee of $5.00.

Comment

Well I figure after bumping this thread a bunch of times over the past month or so I owe it to you guys to show you the final product. I ended up getting the oily leather straps from International Watchman in both tobacco and black. I really like the tobacco. It is much lighter than it appears on the IW website and it is exactly the color I was looking for. I'm not good at taking pictures and it's crappy cell phone quality, but here it is.

http://i.imgur.com/29UzB.jpg

Also my experience with International Watchman was great. They sent my order out on Thursday and it arrived on Saturday. The straps seem to be very nice for the price. I ordered a leather hole punch on eBay because I have small wrists, but these IW straps actually fit me perfectly on the smallest or second smallest sizing so I didn't even need to use it. Oh well hopefully my leather punch comes in handy at some point. Thanks to everyone who gave me suggestions on straps and watches.

Comment

That looks great! I'll probably order my band next week. Did you do the swap yourself?

Comment

Hhmm interesting. I got the oily leather strap from him in Tobacco as well, and mine is definitely a dark brown; distinctly darker than your picture. There definitely is some variation among styles as well. I have three of his Tobacco straps in different styles and none of them are the same. One looks more chocolate, one looks more like the tobacco shown on the website and the one above is more of a straight dark brown. I consider it to be acceptable, given his price point.

Also, as lax pointed out, these are straps made ideally for people with wrists under 7 inches. If you need longer than that, you should consider longer straps (which I do believe he has).

Comment

@JC: Yeah I did it myself. I ordered a (hopefully) semi decent spring bar on eBay but it hadn't arrived yet so I used an old crappy spring bar from China that I literally paid 10 cents for a while back. It took me a little while and I scratched the back side of the bracelet a little which I didn't care about, but it did the job.

@Chareth: That is interesting about the color variation. Mine is actually slightly lighter than it appears in the picture I took.

Comment

@ laxattackdog - Looks good. When you say springbar, are you referring to a springbar removal tool? The springbars themselves are what hold the strap to the watch.

I have a springbar tool that came with some junky watch repair kit I got one time, but I find it's easier to just use a flathead jeweler's screwdriver. As an added bonus, you can generally find them for a few dollars at your local hardware store rather than having to order them online. This may sound weird, but the most effective watch tools I've used are that screwdriver and an old ice pick.

Ben

Comment

@BenR: yep I meant to say spring bar tool. I still have trouble with spring bars and they frustrate the heck out of me so maybe I'll give the screwdriver a shot if the new one I ordered isn't easier to use.

Comment

Working...
                              X