Review: Allen Edmonds Williams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just this weekend, I purchased a pair of Allen Edmonds Williams, so I figured I'd share some thoughts and photos here.

I found them on Amazon discounted to $240. Then, I used Amazon's 20% off shoes promo code, a gift card from Christmas, and some rewards points from my Amazon credit card to bring them down to $55 taxed & shipped.

They're part of the Independence Collection, which AE claims to be their highest quality shoes (Joe reviewed another model, the Rutledge). These are built on the 222 last, which is also used for the AE Player's Shoe, which is one of my favorites. The leather does seem to be softer and a bit thicker than other AEs I have. The detailing isn't perfect, but it does seem to be a bit of a step up from the mainline AEs. Here are some pics:

They came out of the box looking a little dull.

Here they are after a condition & shine (one coat of AE Cleaner/Conditioner, several coats of AE Dark Brown Premium Polish, a couple coats on the toe and heel of neutral AE carnuba wax)

The wheeling on the welt is a nice touch.

I wore to work yesterday, and I was on my feet quite a bit. There was a bit of slipping in the heel, though that abated after a couple hours (due to the sole softening up, I believe). My feet didn't hurt at all once the day was done, and I credit that to the added padding in the insole.

All in all, these are great shoes, especially for the price. They fill a spot in my wardrobe that has been open for a long time: dressy dark brown brogues.

Here are a couple more pictures:

Comparison pic. The color is significantly darker than the Kenilworths in "brown burnished". Other shoe is the AE Player's Shoe, which is made on the same last.

Comment

Wow, almost black in the picture. Are they that dark in person?

Comment

Originally posted by marathon View Post
        Wow, almost black in the picture. Are they that dark in person?
        They are indeed that dark. I'd equate their shade of brown to something like dark chocolate.

Comment

bjmc thanks for the review. wow they're dark!

Where are you finding this 20% off coupon for the amazon shoe promo? Thanks!
          Using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by texas08 View Post
            bjmc thanks for the review. wow they're dark!

Where are you finding this 20% off coupon for the amazon shoe promo? Thanks!

Comment

^ awesome thanks!

now I'm seriously considering them...need to pull the trigger on something soon...

my other option is some more casual?/cheaper Johnston Murphy's ...Clayton or Decatur saddles seen here: (no thread hijack)...seeking an opinion since you have those AEs in person now.

Using Tapatalk

Comment

^ awesome thanks!

now I'm seriously considering them...need to pull the trigger on something soon...

my other option is some more casual?/cheaper Johnston Murphy's ...Clayton or Decatur saddles seen here: (no thread hijack)...seeking an opinion since you have those AEs in person now.
                Those won't even compare. That's like comparing Chili's to a 4-star restaurant. Personally, I wouldn't buy either of those JMs based not only on quality, but also looks. If you're strapped for cash, then JM's an option, but otherwise don't bother.

Comment

Thanks for your opinion, I'm looking at something in the $200 range...which it seems like that amazon deal is almost too good to pass up...considering those shoes go for $500.
                  Last edited by texas08; March 10, 2014, 01:22 PM.
                  Using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for your opinion, I'm looking at something in the $200 range...which it seems like that amazon deal is almost too good to pass up...considering those shoes go for $500.
                    If you're up for spending $200 and need/want some semi-formal dark brown brogues, you likely won't find a better deal than this.

Comment

Originally posted by bjmcgeever View Post
                      Wondering, has anyone tried to sign up more than once? I've already used my 20%.

Comment

Originally posted by ninpb View Post
                        Wondering, has anyone tried to sign up more than once? I've already used my 20%.
                        If you use a different email address, I don't know why it wouldn't work again.

Comment

I mean with the same amazon prime account.

Just tried it (while logged in my prime account) and it subscribed me again, but didn't offer a chance to use different email. Got email saying thanks for subscribing but with no code.

So I guess you will have to set up a new amazon account with a different email.

Comment

I still have my 20% off code that will expire on 3/12. If I don't use it today, PM me and I will give it to whoever asks first.

Comment

A little off topic but are you happy with the Kenilworths in "brown burnished"?

Also the Williams is a new generation of long wing from AE? Looks pretty nice

Comment

Working...
                              X