Strands vs Dalton?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strands vs Dalton?

Hi everyone, new to the forum and looking for some advice on a purchase!

Background: I recently tried to purchase a pair of shoes from AE on clearance for ~$160, but they couldn't fulfill my order as they were out of my size, at first very upsetting, but then they offered to match the price on any pair of shoes up to a 365 value. With that said, I was pretty happy and now am going to pick up either the Strands or Daltons (just paying for the price difference to get the Daltons if they allow it).

My Needs: The primary purpose of these shoes would be to wear with khakis in the spring and summer, but would still try to incorporate them into my year round rotation. I currently own a pair of the Kinilworth derby shoes in black http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline...000001_-1_8005 and the McAllister Wingtips in Merlot http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline...0000000001_-1_. I usually wear dress shoes 4-5 days a week (Friday I dress down more for most of my clients), and work in business casual environment in the NW (meaning you wear a jacket and you are far more dressed up then everyone, which I usually do). I could have these shoes be a bit flashier if I wanted and it would not be too "progressive" for the workplace.

Challenge: I really love boots, so lean towards the Daltons naturally, but recognize the strands are probably a more logical choice based on my needs. So really the questions comes down to the following:

1) I know boots are normally better for fall/winter, but could the Dalton work for summer and spring also, or should I go with the Strand? I don't live a particularly warm climate, and would be wearing them mostly indoors, so its not a question of my comfort (getting to hot wearing boots), just appearance in a work environment.

2) Would the walnut vs. bourbon be a better choice for color?

Note that whichever shoe I buy, I probably wont get the other ever, or at least for a very long time. Whichever I buy is going to hopefully fill the gap in my dress shoe collection so I wont buy another pair for the next 5 years. Thanks in advance for advice, I have always enjoyed reading the opinions of the Dappered community in the past. And thank you for reading my overly long post

Cheers!

Did your Elgins get cancelled? That's what happened to me. If you want a spring/summer shoe, it's not going to be a Dalton. Boots are for cold weather. Even though offices are climate controlled and are going to be the same temperature in January and in July, it's still odd to wear flannel in August or seersucker in February. We don't bust out our Easter colors in October.

If you intend to wear them with khakis, I'd go with a blucher in walnut/tan/bourbon/brown. You can get calf, or do suede for a spring/summer shoe. However, being that Kenilworths are $295 retail, and Daltons are $400, why not use this as a chance to get walnut or bourbon Daltons? You won't be able to wear them come summer, but it's out of your price range any other way. Then pick up the Kenilworths in brown at Amazon using the 20% off discount for $236. Or go with inexpensive casual options; I got two suede chukkas and a pair of bucks from Target for $50 total on clearance.

Comment

Daltons are almost exclusively for Fall, unless you live somewhere that gets cool, but never has snow. You'll destroy them in a couple weeks during winter in the Northeast. Mine got about 4-5 wears last year on the weekends.

Walnut shoes are not versatile at all, and decidedly warm weather (like blue suede). If you have a 3 pair collection, go with a darker shade of brown.

/thread

Comment

Alternatively if you live somewhere that gets cold with snow, but never cool, it will always be dry in winter and you can wear them safely enough.

Comment

Originally posted by marathon View Post
          Alternatively if you live somewhere that gets cold with snow, but never cool, it will always be dry in winter and you can wear them safely enough.
          Rather than complicating things for no reason, keep your damn Daltons away from salt. It will eat them.

Comment

Keep them away from salt, sand, snow, rain, moisture, puddles, and life.

Comment

Strands are much more versatile. Especially for spring/summer.

Comment

Originally posted by marathon View Post
                Keep them away from salt, sand, snow, rain, moisture, puddles, and life.
                Yes but don't forget to shine them and use shoetrees.

Comment

Originally posted by ChosenGSR View Post
                  Yes but don't forget to shine them and use shoetrees.

Comment

If I could choose only one I'd get the Dalton and wear them every chance I had.

Comment

I live in Florida. I love boots. I wear boots 12 months out of the year.

Buy what you'll wear. Buy the Daltons.

Comment

Strands. Leather sole boots never worked for me in the heart of winter with snow, rain, slush. Dress boots don't have an area in my wardrobe.

Comment

strands... more versatile imo.

Comment

I say Strands if you're going for versatility. The Bourbon Strand will be my next buy, and I'm not sure why I don't have it already. It looks like arguably the most versatile shoe. (Fits both suit and casual.)

But if you'll wear the Daltons, get them. You don't have anything like them yet in your collection, whereas the McAlister in Merlot goes with almost anything the Bourbon Strand would go with.

Comment

I personally love my Daltons and wear them a lot but I live in San Francisco which has a climate that works much of the year for dress boots.

If spring summer means hot weather where you are they might not be the best choice

Comment

Working...
                              X