No announcement yet.

Boat shoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've only ever owned the standard Topsiders and never saw a need or desire for any others. They were about $60.

Comment

@Jason, thanks man. I actually have that exact shoe on a wish list. In my eyes, it is a flawless boat shoe. The $250 price tag would hurt though. I would love to find something just like it for quite a bit less. Or maybe a birthday splurge...

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

@Alan, I look at shoes a lot, but haven't been buying that much... I have 4 pairs of work shoes, 1 cole haan air colton, 1 Florsheim gaffney wingtip boots, 1 Florsheim penny loafer (thrifted), 1 Florsheim tassel loafer (thrifted).... I recently got a pair of Eastland Seneca moc-toe boots for casual stuff. Altogether I've probably spent around the price of one pair of nice AE's at full retail on shoes...

@Greg I did a quick look around and didn't see a lot of navy w/ brick soled boat shoes. I'm planning a splurge on some really nice shoes myself, but I keep changing my mind as to the target... I'm really wanting some shell cordovan, but in what shape and color? Got a while to obsess about it.

Comment

@Greg, another one to keep an eye on is Yuketen: http://www.yuketen.com/index.php/

They do some cool colored shoes in Horween leather, both calf and shell cordovan

Comment

Anyone an 11?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oak-Street-B...#ht_500wt_1204

Comment

Also, very impressed w/ Oak Street--some very sharp looking shoes, but they'll put a hurt on your wallet...

Comment

I know. I've been trying to justify those blue ones that JC linked for a few months now. It is cool that they are made in the USA and able to be resoled.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

I have oak street loafers (the natural chromexcel)...AMAZINGLY BEAUTIFUL leather; size is same as my AE mctavishes, for your future use.

osb loafers: 11.5, though an 11 was iffy...I got both, and decided the 11 was just a smidge too tight--that said, if your shoe is an oil tanned leather (pretty much what horween chromexcel is), it will stretch quite a bit...

AE mctavishes: 11.5; find info on last and sizing on AE's site, if you want.

cheap comparisons: clarks desert: I can fit, slightly tight but definitely wearable, into an 11. I originally had an 11.5 in my beeswax deserts, but went with an 11 in the suede desert mali boots.

there really should be a website where you just list what size you are in all these different shoes, so someone can go on and see: "Oh, this guy has my shoe in this size, and he's a size larger in this other brand, so I can order that...neat!"

Comment

Here's a place that custom makes them for you with lots of options: http://www.russellmoccasin.com

Comment

Any ideas on the bast place to buy shoes for the price?

Comment

I think the Bass you picked out are great, especially for the price.

Comment

@WH: If you like the Bass and you have a local Bass outlet, I would start there. You probably won't do much better than what you already found, though.

FWIW, there are three reputable websites that carry that same shoe at the same discounted price. It makes me wonder if Bass brought down the dealer price. With 3 sites to choose from, though, I don't imagine stock is a problem. So if you can afford to wait and don't mind playing a little bit of chicken, you might be able to see if they go any lower.

..,. but if it doesn't work, it's not my fault. :-)

Comment

I'm a Sperry A/O guy myself, but you really can't go wrong with any of your options. Oak Street is on my want list, just can't warrant the cost just yet.

Comment

if you like sperry's you can find the very cheap on ebay. new pairs 40 bucks. i get used pairs in great shape for 20. i'll never buy retail sperry's again.

Comment

@BenR

L.L. Bean has a 15% Off with coupon code "JSK5165", which may be used on Sale Items as well as regularly-priced items. Shipping is free. You may shop in-store via printable coupon.

Comment

Working...
                                X