Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

$100 Goodyear Welted Chromexcel boots via Kickstarter (not mine)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$100 Goodyear Welted Chromexcel boots via Kickstarter (not mine)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...?ref=discovery

I'm wondering what people think of this. They sound like they talk a good game, and for 100 bucks, they certainly look sharp for what they say they offer. Personally, I'd be all over a pair of the brown 16th streets, except they don't offer wides, and odds are, that's what I'd need.

But the other thing is that, well, is it too good to be true? 100 bucks for that? Also, they say round cap toe, but it's plain toe, and "Goodyear wet"(sic) could be either just a plain typo, or could be indicative of other quality issues.

Again, I have nothing to do with this kickstarter, just wanted opinions, and if it's a good looking product, figured I'd help out by spreading the news.

Also, their website is practically nonexistent.

Comment

Their video and shoe pictures are lifted from Thorogood. Seems like another Field & Crew.

Comment

I'd stay away until someone takes the plunge. Too risky looks shady.

Comment

Originally posted by Crims View Post
          Their video and shoe pictures are lifted from Thorogood. Seems like another Field & Crew.
          Well, I'm glad I doublechecked then. I can just buy the boots whenever I want from the actual maker.

Comment

Yup, they've stolen images from a European vendor of Thorogood boots.

http://www.thorogood.de/Shop/1892-Co...brown::54.html

The video, if you watch it closely, also shows the Thorogood logo at various points.

I'd steer far, far clear from this. It should be standard practice for anyone using Kickstarter to do a search-by-image search of the images first, to make sure they are original.

I just reported this intellectual property theft to the company that produces Thorogood boots. Apparently Kickstarter does not accept reports of intellectual property violations from anyone but the copyright holder... which is utterly stupid, given the problem Kickstarter is obviously having with schmucks like "Field & Crew" and this company that simply steal images from other businesses and present them as their own.
            Last edited by LesserBlackDog; March 2, 2014, 02:50 AM.
            Ben

Comment

http://www.thorogood.de/Shop/1892-Co...67d408b6e0716a

0:55 of the video.

damn. they aren't even putting an effort to try to pass off this as their own.

Comment

Maybe somebody should alert Thorogood?

I love "American inspired." Yeah, how about American ripped-off, namely Thorogood but they also look a lot like Red Wing.

Comment

Their comments section say that they're working with the Thorogood folks to make the boots, but given that the photos are 100% the same thing as the Thorogood, I'm not seeing what these guys bring to the table.

That said, http://www.theshoesnobblog.com/2014/...labelling.html suggests that this kind of thing is not unheard of.

Comment

I'm not sure how or why Thorogood could or would do a third-party branding dealie with someone to sell the boots for below what Thorogood already sells them for. Like you said, I'm not sure what these guys are bringing to the table in terms of adding value to Thorogood's product. More mouths at the table means the shoes should cost more than they normally do, not less (see, e.g., Chippewa for J.Crew collaboration).

If they were doing a collaboration with Thorogood, you think they'd list that upfront somewhere in their actual campaign information rather than bringing it up defensively in a comment after they've been called out on their bullshit. And a "collaboration" doesn't explain why they've used images and video of existing Thorogood products.
                    Last edited by LesserBlackDog; March 2, 2014, 12:30 PM.
                    Ben

Comment

If you were a nobody brand, you'd be thrilled to have a partnership with a recognizable name such as thorogood. They would have plastered the thorogood name everywhere in their promos and videos. Contrast that to the "oh yea btw" explanation of their "partnership" after the material was revealed to be bogarted from thorogood.

Comment

Yeah, looks like someone on kickstarter is grilling them about this stuff, and they've given a name they say is their contact (Richard Martens), so maybe tomorrow someone can try to track that down.

I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt (some small volume watchmakers have done something similar, made watches for someone's kickstarter with movements bought elsewhere, after all) but they're obviously trying to pass off the 1892 style boots as their own product. They claim that they'll put up images of the samples when they get it back, but that doesn't fit right to me, for a variety of reasons.

Comment

But... who needs another boot company that just makes knock-offs of Red Wing and Thorogood? I don't get the point.

Comment

Originally posted by Duvel View Post
                            But... who needs another boot company that just makes knock-offs of Red Wing and Thorogood? I don't get the point.
                            Look at all of the threads on Reddit FMF (a place I try to avoid, tbh) on "Where can I find a frugal version of the Beckman/1000 Mile/etc?" to get an idea. There is money to be made if you can make this at a lower price-point, even if it's not up to snuff with the heritage brands.

Comment

It seems pretty clear that they contract out to Thorogood (or some other similar manufacturer) for their boots. It's clear from their kickstarter page that they don't actually make the boots (they talk about their manufacturer). And at their retail price, it's clear there's enough of a pie to make some profit while still paying Thorogood for the product. What's not clear is their angle - presumably they have a plan that involves making the boots seem more appealing than Thorogood's. There are some minor differences, from what I could tell (the images of Thorogood's 1892 boots I found didn't have a heel cover (dunno what that piece is called), and had normal holes, not speed hooks, at the top. these are minor differences, akin to the differences between Chippewa Apaches and LLBean Katahdins, and therefore (I think) consistent with "another company makes them, they sell them" models that work.

It's not at all clear to me where they'll go with these / who's going to buy them at retail - maybe they have an in with some boutiques that mark up enough and care about these little stylistic differences - I dunno. At $285, they've totally lost me. At $100, I'm giving it a shot. Presumably they're taking a loss on me to "get the brand out there". Or they're being greedy and "taking my money and not giving me a pair of boots in exchange". But since their model seems to resemble others I've seen, I'm willing to take the chance.

Or I'm a greedy / cheap moron who just gave money to someone who preys on greedy morons.

As I like to say - 3 ways to find out.

Comment

Working...
                              X