Mini-Review: J.Crew Ludlow Sport Coat in Herringbone Italian Wool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini-Review: J.Crew Ludlow Sport Coat in Herringbone Italian Wool

I have had trouble in the past with getting the right fit with Ludlows, but I thought I would try again with the recent 40% off sale. I need some help deciding whether to keep this or not.

This is a size 36R. I am 5'7 1/2'' and 126 lbs. I went with the Regular because I don't like short jackets, and the Ludlow is cut slightly shorter than traditional. It feels snug in the chest and waist. The sleeves are too long and will need to be shortened. Usually my main issue with Ludlows is getting the shoulders right. Does this look odd-shaped?

The color is labeled charcoal, but it looks almost mid-gray in person. The material feels nice, 100% wool. It is fully lined. It seems medium-heavy weight to me. Probably good for fall weather.

The price was 192.59 on sale (including tax), then I used my $50 Rewards card, so I paid the balance of $142.59. Overall, I am happy with the color and material given the price, and I like the fit everywhere except I am just not sure about the shoulders.

Is this worth keeping? Would I get my rewards card back if I return it? (the expiration on the card was late March)

Other than a little nick off the sleeve length I'd say the fit looks pretty good. Still a pretty decent price for an all wool Ludlow.

Comment

Originally posted by LCDR View Post
      I have had trouble in the past with getting the right fit with Ludlows, but I thought I would try again with the recent 40% off sale. I need some help deciding whether to keep this or not.

This is a size 36R. I am 5'7 1/2'' and 126 lbs. I went with the Regular because I don't like short jackets, and the Ludlow is cut slightly shorter than traditional. It feels snug in the chest and waist. The sleeves are too long and will need to be shortened. Usually my main issue with Ludlows is getting the shoulders right. Does this look odd-shaped?

The color is labeled charcoal, but it looks almost mid-gray in person. The material feels nice, 100% wool. It is fully lined. It seems medium-heavy weight to me. Probably good for fall weather.

The price was 192.59 on sale (including tax), then I used my $50 Rewards card, so I paid the balance of $142.59. Overall, I am happy with the color and material given the price, and I like the fit everywhere except I am just not sure about the shoulders.

Is this worth keeping? Would I get my rewards card back if I return it? (the expiration on the card was late March)
      I find the shoulder divots to be too pronounced to consider it a good fit, but if it doesn't bother you I wouldn't make an issue of it.

Comment

It might be a bit too large for my tastes, but I think a size down would likely be too small. It doesn't look bespoke (of course), but for the price it looks like a great addition to your wardrobe. Full disclosure: if it's not bespoke or MTM, I'm not very picky. And if I get something for 40% off and then $50 off, I'm REALLY not picky.

Comment

It's funny you say it feels snug in the chest and waist because it looks loose in those places... from the front. After seeing it from behind I understand better.

I notice you didn't post any pictures with your arms raised. Personally, I would return the jacket, but only because I can't stand the level of shoulder padding that seems to be going on with this coat. I'm much more willing to tolerate chopped tails or sleeves that show my whole shirt cuff rather than deal with looking like a linebacker when I go to shake hands or grab something from a shelf.

On the other hand, if returning it won't get back the $50 rewards card and your tailor thinks they can work with it... well, grey herringbone makes an awesome 3 season blazer.

Comment

The shoulders aren't good. Return it. A size smaller might work, though.

Comment

I don't understand the shoulder complaints. Can somebody explain?

Comment

Originally posted by uklawdawg View Post
                See how at his shoulder it goes straight down and then follows the contour of his arm? The whole sleeve should be following the contour. It looks like it is too large, the shoulder seem extends past his natural shoulder line and the padding makes it more pronounced. I would also return it or try to side down to a 34. I think a 34 will fit you better in the body as well - 126lbs is SKINNY.

Comment

Originally posted by VespaMatt View Post
                  I think a 34 will fit you better in the body as well - 126lbs is SKINNY.
                  ^yes. I'm 5'9", 150, wear a 36S ludlow.

Comment

I'm 5'6", 125#, 36" chest; I wear a 34S. Solves the same problem I had in 36S sizes. It's worth trying as a comparison!

Comment

Originally posted by VespaMatt View Post
                      See how at his shoulder it goes straight down and then follows the contour of his arm? The whole sleeve should be following the contour. It looks like it is too large, the shoulder seem extends past his natural shoulder line and the padding makes it more pronounced. I would also return it or try to side down to a 34. I think a 34 will fit you better in the body as well - 126lbs is SKINNY.
                      Yep. Unfortunately, I think a lot of my jackets may do this because I have to go a little bigger through the chest and arms. Now, I have to go try them all on!

Comment

Originally posted by uklawdawg View Post
                        VespaMatt's explanation was spot on. It's also possible that poor fit in the shoulders may be the result of sloping shoulders or poor posture. Here's a picture I got from effortlessgent's blog that points out the shoulder divot.

Comment

OP here. Thanks everyone for the comments. I think I will return it, regardless of whether I lose the $50 rewards credit. I was not sure about the shoulders to begin with, but your second opinions confirmed that it doesn't look right. I really don't think sizing down will help any, and it would be way too tight in the waist if I went down to a 34R. It's already snug in the waist now, and the lapels bow outwards when I raise my arms. I need to give up on the Ludlows because they just don't fit right on me (and it does seem to have more shoulder padding than was evident on the website pictures)

I have been researching on the internet about what actually causes the shoulder divots like this, and I am convinced it is NOT because the shoulders are too big/ too wide. I will start another thread regarding the shoulder divots.

Comment

Originally posted by LCDR View Post
                            OP here. Thanks everyone for the comments. I think I will return it, regardless of whether I lose the $50 rewards credit. I was not sure about the shoulders to begin with, but your second opinions confirmed that it doesn't look right. I really don't think sizing down will help any, and it would be way too tight in the waist if I went down to a 34R. It's already snug in the waist now, and the lapels bow outwards when I raise my arms. I need to give up on the Ludlows because they just don't fit right on me (and it does seem to have more shoulder padding than was evident on the website pictures)

I have been researching on the internet about what actually causes the shoulder divots like this, and I am convinced it is NOT because the shoulders are too big/ too wide. I will start another thread regarding the shoulder divots.
                            It's not actually a divot. Notice the shoulder line is straight so that's not a bad fit. Yes, the sleeve goes straight down a bit before the arm curves, but is this horrible? I wonder if internet perfection has OP looking for a magical suit.

Comment

Maybe I am being too picky. My shoulders are not as bad as the pic from LChow, but my right shoulder is showing a definite irregularity: a mild divot or a pseudo-divot?

Comment

Working...
                              X