Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Personal experience with Obenauf's LP, Huberd's Shoe Grease, or Sno Seal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I was actually surprised at just how brown they turned out. Surprised in a good way.

I had a chance to wear them yesterday. What I never mentioned earlier is that the whole reason I embarked on this train wreck was that I didn't like how sharply creases in the vamp showed up on the shoe. Basically, the polish I had applied would lighten significantly every time the leather folded, and it left me with something like a tiger stripe look across the ball of the foot. I was hoping that by making the underlying finish more uniform, that wouldn't happen.

It looks like in that respect, wax was not the way to go. The leather still appears to lighten significantly wherever the shoes crease. Of course, all I have to do is hit them with a brush quickly and the color mostly evens out. I'm not sure if that will change as the wax works its way into the creases over time.

The other thing I noticed is that they got dirty very easily. I walked into town with my daughters to by lunch, and by the time we got home the shoes had picked up a thin but noticeable coating of dust. I wiped them down with a damp rag and everything was back to normal, but it will be annoying if that happens every time I wear them.

What I hope is going on is that I'm still working out the excess wax, and the shoes will stay cleaner and more evenly colored after I've worn them a few times. But I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Comment

I think the shoes getting dirty should stop once you take the excess wax off the surface of the boot. Best way to do it is to wipe the shoe down with a damp cloth. Using hot water might make it a little easy to take the excess wax off. It should not affect the color the shoes much as most of the product should be absorbed into the leather already.

Comment

Originally posted by facelessghost View Post
        What I never mentioned earlier is that the whole reason I embarked on this train wreck was that I didn't like how sharply creases in the vamp showed up on the shoe. Basically, the polish I had applied would lighten significantly every time the leather folded, and it left me with something like a tiger stripe look across the ball of the foot. I was hoping that by making the underlying finish more uniform, that wouldn't happen.
        I think thats a problem of applying too much wax. Put This On recommended recently using calf cream and not having to worry about that, but you will never get a high shine. Maybe Fred will chime in, but I seem to recall on another shoe care thread he recommended using cream all over and then only applying wax on the toe and heel counter.

Comment

So if there's a little too much wax on the shoes, should I just continue wiping the shoes down after wearing and wait for the wax buildup to reduce, or is there something else I should do to clean them?

Comment

For some reason I thought the PTO article was recent, but its actually from 2012:

http://putthison.com/post/1726856283...ght-a-new-pair

Comment

Originally posted by facelessghost View Post
              So if there's a little too much wax on the shoes, should I just continue wiping the shoes down after wearing and wait for the wax buildup to reduce, or is there something else I should do to clean them?
              My boots were slightly sticky after treating them and I had the same dust issues but they eventually went away. Have you thought about heating up the boots gently with a hair dryer to see if you can get the wax to soak in deeper into the leather?

Comment

I've been using Huberds on my shoes for a few years, primarily on my beeswax clarks. Yes, it darkens the leather, but not much. It does have a smoky smell, but that obviously goes away and it's not something I dislike to begin with. It does not have any impact on coloring stitching. It does not leave a waxy residue although it may appear this way until it dries. Applications seemingly last a long time although I'm in Los Angeles so my shoes will get dusty before they get ruined from rain. Typically I apply another coat when my shoes get scuffed up from daily use.

Your after pictures seem extremely dramatic. I'd be curious to see what they look like after 2 or 3 days once the product has completely dried.

Comment

abc123: I did use a hair dryer for the initial application, and I tried to use it again immediately after to see if I could remove some wax after heating it up. I think my mistake was applying two coats. That seemed to be the consensus on various tutorials I read, but I think most people are applying this to work boots and other shoes with much thicker leather than the Brattles. Fortunately, the excess wax does seem to be working itself out--either its coming off when I brush the shoes, or its soaking deeper into the leather. Either way, the shoes don't feel as sticky.

mdwsta4: The color certainly was dramatic. I'm curious about whether it will last. I'll let the shoes sit a bit longer and then wear them on Friday. I'll post some follow-up pics when I get home to document what they look like after a few days of drying and a full day of wear. (Also, if I had heard from you a couple of days earlier I probably would have tried the Huberd's instead. Oh well.)

Comment

Working...
                  X