Is the slim lapel trend over?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the slim lapel trend over?

I am a big fan of J Crew, for the style and quality. I don't have their Ludlow suits, although I do own the herringbone topcoat. They are starting to discount their jackets quite a bit, with the Spring coming. I am tempted to pick up some on sale, but they have the slimmer lapels. Are the days of the under-3 inch-lapels over?

Screw trends. If you like it wear it. The classic medium is hard to beat as far as fitting frame and tie widths. I like the narrow lapels i find them very slimming for my particular body type. Match with a narrow tie 2.5-3" matches nicely. I do not like razor thin 60's lapels and 2" ties. Just too narrow for me. Wear what you want be the cool kid that rebels against trends.

Comment

Personally as long as it's proportionate to your size then it'll always look good, regardless of what is "hot" at the time.

Comment

I guess the real question is this: if I say that the trend is over, will you take my word as fact?

Comment

Bruschetta, any words that come out of your mouth enjoy a rebuttable presumption of factual truthiness.
          Ben

Comment

How do you like the herringbone topcoat? I don't need an over coat but if I did that would be the one.

Comment

The 'trend' is definitely on it's way out, but most will say the sixties look will always have a sense of timeliness. We have much fonder memories of the 60s, style wise, than we do the 70s or 80s, which is our most recent experience with wider lapels. I think when things age, and you look at the two ends of spectrum, I would still rather have too skinny than too wide.

And I echo everyone else's sentiments: The idea of this site is style not fashion, go with what is proportionate to your body and you can't go wrong. I've settled on 3in ties working for me, and shoot for lapels close to that. I'm 5' 8'' and wear a 36 though, someone who is taller and broader will shoot for something else.

Comment

Originally posted by Brent k View Post
                How do you like the herringbone topcoat? I don't need an over coat but if I did that would be the one.

I really like the topcoat. Have it with Thinsulate. Very warm, has a slim/ snug fit though, so I recommend sizing up if you want to wear a suit/blazer underneath.

Comment

Three inch I wouldn't call that thin either.

I love that topcoat. What size blazer you wear and whAt size coat?

Comment

Originally posted by Brent k View Post
                    Three inch I wouldn't call that thin either.

I love that topcoat. What size blazer you wear and whAt size coat?
                    My suit jacket and blazers are 38R. I originally tried out the 38R and 39R in the herringbone coat but with a suit on it was just a bit too snug. I could have gone with the 39 but decided the 40 was a better fit.

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                      Bruschetta, any words that come out of your mouth enjoy a rebuttable presumption of factual truthiness.

Comment

Originally posted by ChosenGSR View Post
                        Personally as long as it's proportionate to your size then it'll always look good, regardless of what is "hot" at the time.
                        THIS. I assume that some brands may venture away from the thin lapels, while some will keep it. Essentially having fat people going toward one brand and skinny people going toward another... at least the ones that know how to match clothing proportionate to your size.

Comment

Peak Lapels are where it's at!
                          Notches are for poor people that can't afford the extra fabric

I'd say if you're a slim guy then slim notch lapels are a good choice, although a peak could give you more of a broad shoulder appearance as well.

I personally like the suit supply lapels now, although the slim peak on my black lapel did look good, it was the suit I got the most compliments on.

Comment

Originally posted by shad0w4life View Post
                            Peak Lapels are where it's at!
                            Notches are for poor people that can't afford the extra fabric
                            Agreed, proof:
                            http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._1865-crop.png

Comment

It is unfortunate that J. Crew seems to have totally discontinued their Aldridge fit, since it seemed more classically proportioned.

Comment

Working...
                              X