Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How important is it to match a leather watch strap to the belt/shoes color?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How important is it to match a leather watch strap to the belt/shoes color?

I tried swapping out my black/brown straps on my watch as i swapped shoes, but it was too much work, bad for the watch and i much preferred the black strap to brown on my watch (the face dial is also black). And...I don't think it looks strange at all tbh. Belt/shoes should match because it's all on your lower half and in a straight parallel line...whereas the watch is just kinda off on your wrist to the side. And since it looks too "matchy" to wear exactly matching bands...why does it even matter if the strap is brown/black? A lot of people even mistake my brown band for black. So...how important is it (to you)?

depends on how anal retentive the individual is.

Comment

Not important at all and a reason to own more than one watch.

Comment

It doesn't matter too much. I change mine semi-frequently, but I use NATO straps most of the time, so it is very easy to swap. I do have 1 black "normal" 2-piece band and I only put it on if I am wearing the watch in a dressier environment.

Comment

Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
          Not important at all and a reason to own more than one watch.
          I own more than 1 watch, but I prefer the color black...guess maybe I just haven't found another good watch i like in my price range that'd go better with a brown strap (something with a white dial)? Also...since I do now prefer automatics, it means that if I get another watch I would pretty much have to alternate watches and black/brown every day to keep them running (or spring for auto winders?). Much simpler just to stick to black.

Comment

If you're asking about it you obviously care. Match them and be happy.

Comment

Piggy-backing onto this, what do you all think about the metal itself (silver-toned watch with silver-toned belt, and even sunglasses maybe?)? It seems a bit too much for me, but if people switch their watch straps to match their shoes, it kind of makes sense to have different watches and sunglasses to match too.

Comment

Originally posted by dnugget View Post
                Piggy-backing onto this, what do you all think about the metal itself (silver-toned watch with silver-toned belt, and even sunglasses maybe?)? It seems a bit too much for me, but if people switch their watch straps to match their shoes, it kind of makes sense to have different watches and sunglasses to match too.
                I think matching the metal of sunglasses and a watch goes to far. I agree with matching your belt and watch metals, but sunglasses shouldn't matter, at least not in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by frost View Post
                  depends on how anal retentive the individual is.
                  Ha ha. Perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by Scofield View Post
                    I own more than 1 watch, but I prefer the color black...guess maybe I just haven't found another good watch i like in my price range that'd go better with a brown strap (something with a white dial)? Also...since I do now prefer automatics, it means that if I get another watch I would pretty much have to alternate watches and black/brown every day to keep them running (or spring for auto winders?). Much simpler just to stick to black.
                    First world problems. Quick set dates were made for this reason. Well AP ignored this in their RO "Jumbo" which is over $20K without a quick set date but they do allow you to go from 10pm to 2am a bunch to reset the date. Again first world problems.

Comment

If you have several watches you can buy different color straps for each otherwise I wouldn't care about changing straps. The watch is a special accessory which is not bound to the basic rules I guess.

Comment

I match them almost all the time. It doesn't have to be exact but I just try to get brown with brown and black with black. However, I definitely wouldn't want to be changing my strap all the time, so I just have four watches that cover all my bases (stainless steel, black leather dress watch, brown leather dress watch, tan leather casual watch). If you don't want to spend the time and/or money I would just get a stainless steel diver watch, which will work with 95% of anything you wear.

Comment

I try to match my shoes & belt for sure, so i'd want the strap on a watch to also match. But, I don't really wear a watch so I this is just my opinion, but I agree with mister_deez - a stainless steel watch should cover you and goes with almost anything.

Comment

I very rarely wear black shoes and don't ordinarily wear a watch with a black leather strap (though I do own a couple straps that I could use if I were so inclined). I wear most of my watches on bracelet, nylon, or rubber, mostly because those are easier to clean and I have no fear of getting the watch wet or dirty while cooking, cleaning, doing yardwork and housework, hiking, skiing, swimming, fishing, playing with the dogs, etc. When I do wear a leather strap, it is usually dark or mid brown. I don't really put a lot of thought or effort into matching precise shades of brown, nor do I bother matching shoes to straps (or belts) if I'm wearing suede or canvas shoes, silk or canvas belts, etc.

On the rare occasions I wear black shoes, though, I usually wear a watch on a bracelet or a non-obnoxious nylon strap like a plain black or Bond-striped NATO. If I wore black shoes more often, I might put a watch on a black leather strap and wear that on black shoe days.

In terms of metals - the watches in my current rotation have plain steel cases, but when I've owned yellow gold, rose gold, and black PVD watches, I've really only "matched metals" to the extent that my gold watches have been dressier and go with dressier outfits, and my black PVD watches have been sportier and go with more casual outfits. IMO different metal types look fine with each other as long as each individual metal piece is relatively subdued and you aren't wearing tons of jewelry/accessories. The only metals that tend to look inherently mismatched/tacky are golds and black/gunmetal.

TLDR: I avoid mixing black and brown leathers, but otherwise, I don't put a great deal of thought into matching leathers and metals beyond trying to keep overall dressiness or casualness appropriate to the outfit.

If you regularly wear both brown and black shoes, I think it's probably a good style choice to have a watch on steel, rubber, or nylon, or to own a couple watches with brown or black leather straps. Winding and setting a mechanical watch doesn't take more than a half a minute, and quartz are pretty much grab-and-go. Unless your mechanical watch has a PITA-to-set complication like a moonphase or perpetual calendar, I don't think there's a real strong argument that switching between 2 watches is particularly inconvenient.
                            Ben

Comment

I have a metal driver's watch, but I hate the way it wears and feels. I have odd sized wrists I guess so it never really fits perfectly. Don't care for the look either tbh.

Comment

Working...
                              X