One and only Black dress shoe: Allen Edmonds Hale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One and only Black dress shoe: Allen Edmonds Hale

Just wanted your guys opinion about the Allen Edmonds Hale and whether to keep or return it. I still did not have a black dress shoe and decided to give the Allen Edmonds Hale a try during its 199 sale. What is your guys opinion of this shoe?

I know the standard is the park avenue but I wanted a balamoral that could be a lot more versatile outside business meetings. Is the Hale brogued enough for more casual wear with chinos or trousers while still being appropriate enough for more formal uses like interviews? This would be the only black shoe I plan to own for my life. It was either this or the Fifth avenue that looked appealing to me.

looks good to me

Comment

I think they look great. I actually wanted to order those also but they sold out before I got around to ordering. I wonder if they'll get more stock.

Comment

As good as black shoes CAN look.

Comment

Yes. I like those a lot. I think they would work with a suit and more casually (like a sweater and dress shirt with chinos or dress pants). Not with jeans. Just out of curiosity Acoustic, what do you plan on wearing them with (what color suit, or type of outfit)? I'm just curious because, like OnlyShawn, I don't really do black.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Acoustic, the brogue on those looks a bit off. Other than that, I really like them. What do you think about them? Do they feel comfortable?

Comment

^ yeah, I thought that too, it's the part that goes up by the laces that does it, but upon further thought I decided I don't mind. It's not very traditional, but I think they look alright

Comment

It's an interesting pair of shoes, but I myself think I would find it difficult to wear them casually, which has less to do with the brogueing and more to do with the fact that the shoes are black.

Comment

Thanks for the feed back. I'm hoping to wear it with my one and only suit, along with some occasional chinos. I'm not a very big fan of black shoes either, but I figured i should have a pair for the occasions where a black balamoral would be needed. Bad idea?

Comment

Not bad, though I'm not a huge fan of the perforations on the upper part. That's just me though, I otherwise like the shoes. Black shoes are a bit stark for casual wear, though they would work with grey/brown/navy chinos, and I guess dark denim. I much prefer the longwings you posted earlier for casual wear. I honestly rarely find myself needing or wanting black shoes for a casual outfit. The black MacNeil seconds I bought a little while ago serve that purpose fine (but what a beefy shoe...I should have sized down!)

Comment

Acoustic, is the suit black?

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Its charcoal greg_s. yes, I don't anticipate myself needing black shoes that often so I wanted to get a pair that would serve its purpose for the rest of my life...just not sure if its worth plopping down 200 bucks for.

Comment

Those shoes are bad ass. I have black florshiems like those that have similar toe brogue on the toe but none of the other brogue. I wear them all the time casually with jeans.

Surprised to see all the dislike of black shoes. I love them.

Comment

I like black shoes plenty. I just think they can be harder to work into your casual style because they look a bit off with chinos, cords, and other casual pants - they really work best with dark "dress" jeans and refined wool trousers.

Ben

Comment

I have a number of black shoes, of which one pair in particular I bought purposely for casual wear. The reason why I never wear them is because I find that my brown shoes always go better with my casual clothes and so the black shoes go unworn.

Acoustic, personally speaking, I think it'd be better to buy a pair of dark brown brogues or semi-brogues if you're looking to buy one pair for both formal and dress. But this is just my opinion, others might disagree.

Comment

Working...
                              X