Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep Allen Edmonds Macneil or return?

Bought the 175 dollar Macneils from the Wanted January post:

They look and feel pretty nice, but I'm wondering whether or not I should keep them since I already have a pair of brown wingtips. Are they different and unique enough to warrant keeping? Whats your guys opinion?

I would keep them, but I don't have a pair of brown longwings.

What size to you wear?

Comment

It depends. Do you wear wingtips casually really often? Do you have a need for 2 pair? They are, of course, quite nice looking. The big question is do you also own a pair of more formal brown shoes (cap toes or short wing wingtips)? If not I'd work on that so that you have ones to wear with a blazer/suit. Otherwise, it's really up to you.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

What size did you get? The smallest they had was an 8.5 by the time I checked.

Hindsight, maybe I get add an insole to make it fit.

Comment

I would keep them. They look different enough that you can tell they are not the same shoe like my wife would say of all my wings...There is no brogueing on the toe of your older pair,(which IMO makes the shoe much more casual), the contrast between the sole and the upper are nice and the darker leather will look good in any situation.

"The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
          I>0<I

Comment

I myself wouldn't, because I'm trying not to fall into the trap of buying different colors of essentially the same item. I find that it's easy to justify it, especially if the item is perceived as a "good deal", but in practice I tend to not get enough use out of each variation to make it worth the money. A big problem for me is figuring out what to spend on visually interesting items - I know I won't wear them a lot, but they'll add a lot of pop/individuality when I do.

I think the new pair you bought fall into that category. They don't look as versatile as your old pair because of the upper/sole edge color contrast, but I also like them because of that contrast. If the $175 is no big deal to you, or you think you'll wear each pair at least a few times a month, then I guess you could make the case to keep both. If there's a gaping hole in your shoe collection you want/need to fill, it might be worth spending the money there instead.

Comment

I like your old pair - what brand are those that have a non-medallion toe with burnishing?

Comment

Thanks, I'm leaning towards keeping the macneils...and my old pair if from Frye. They can be had for around 100 dollars during sales.

Comment

I picked up a pair in 8.5 and a little big. Any suggestions on a pair of insoles? I'm leaning towards returning since I've never used an insole in my dress shoes.

Comment

I actually like your old pair more. I would return them.

Comment

Working...
                    X