Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you wear a pupleish Pendleton coat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you wear a pupleish Pendleton coat?

So I was looking in the my coat closet at home and discovered a Pendleton knee length wool coat. I tried it on and for once in my life it fit me. that's the good news. Now for the potentially bad news. It turns out this is my grandmother's coat. In clearer light, the wool appears to be a shade between purple and blue. It's not clearly purple, but when I put it up against my navy blazer, it's definitely closer to purple. Also, the buttons are a lighter shade of purple, but I figure those are easily changeable

My question is this: if you had a coat that fit you wonderfully, but happened to be some kind of weird purply-blue color, would it be so obvious that this is a women's coat that you wouldn't wear it?

Could you post pics of you wearing it? It's hard to tell without seeing it really. Depends a lot on the cut and shade, as well as your sartorial panache.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

If it were me, I would be looking into how much it would cost to have dyed either navy or full black.

Comment

Also keep in mind that women have a different shape so make sure it not obvious to anyone on the street that its cut for a women. That would be step one.

Comment

Women's coats button on the opposite side as well

Comment

... but so do European coats, correct? I have a cheapo men's wind breaker I picked up in Ireland because, surprise, it's really windy in Ireland, and it zips on the opposite side.

Comment

I was once given a what I was told was a European suede jacket that closed opposite, but it did look kind of feminine so who knows.

Comment

It would be nice to see a picture of the coat in natural lighting to judge whether the color is too feminine or not. Personally, I wouldn't be discouraged from wearing a coat just because it's purple, but it depends on the shade, as well as the shape and styling of the coat.

Ben

Comment

Less concerned with it being purple. More concerned about feminine cut. Since it's outwear it may not really matter. But yeah need pics.

Comment

Per request, here are some. I don't know what the best way to post pictures is. These are just basic pics I took with photo booth.

file:///Users/carlsonrj/Desktop/Photo%20on%202012-01-04%20at%2014.29.jpg

file://localhost/Users/carlsonrj/Desktop/Photo%20on%202012-01-04%20at%2014.44.jpg

Comment

You're gonna have to put them somewhere where you can reference them with a URL.

Comment

Found a solution...an old blog of mine:

http://learninglonergan.blogspot.com...blog-post.html

Comment

To me it is too feminine a cut...accentuated by the purplish color.

Comment

Maybe I'm getting mixed up, but it looks like the buttons are on the "male" side. The first two pictures seem totally fine. The last two look a little feminine because the jacket bells out like a Victorian dress. I don't know how to fix that other than to chop the dress down to mid-thigh and/or thin out the bottom.

Comment

The bell shape is very feminine. The last button seems a little high, too (though that might just be me). Add in the color and there's no mistaking that it's a women's coat.

I imagine you can probably fix the bell shape at the tailor. You may also want to give consideration to the button placement, but it's hard to say without actually trying it on. The same goes for (optionally) changing the color.

All in all, though, it seems like a lot of work to make it right.

EDIT: Looking again, it seems you may not buttoning the last button. In that case, ignore everything I said in that regard.

Comment

Working...
                              X