Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I or shouldn't I buy it thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Should I or shouldn't I buy it thread

    Kinda surprised we don't have a thread like this already. Basically a thread where to post potential purchases. On the fence, thinking about it. Toss your idea to the forum for others opinions and gain insight from others.

    My personally one Billy Reid bond peacoat. I love the coat the medium should fit amazing judging by measurements. I can't really get the sack to pay $700 for a peacoat when I have a vintage Sterlingwear of Boston USGI navy coat already. I'm not a huge fan of the collar and how massive it is and it is large in the waist and my girlfriend says it's way too large in the midsection, shoulders fit perfect.

    #2
    Originally posted by Brent k View Post
    I can't really get the sack to pay $700 for a peacoat when I have a vintage Sterlingwear of Boston USGI navy coat already. I'm not a huge fan of the collar and how massive it is and it is large in the waist and my girlfriend says it's way too large in the midsection.
    Although the last issue is fixable by a tailor, it seems you answered your own question with the other points you made and just need a little reinforcement. Do you really want to drop that kind of cash for a collar you're not in love with? Just my two cents.


    My dilemma: Already purchased the JCF Thompson navy chino jacket a week ago during the 30 percent off sale. Now the pants are available. Should I buy the pants and make it a suit OR use it as I intended (a cotton blazer) and buy the same jacket but in khaki that is now available instead (for a more versatile blazer rotation)?

    So one full cotton navy chino suit vs two blazers? or should I bite the bullet and make them both full suits?

    Comment


      #3
      Do you wear suits often? Will you need a summer chino suit wedding, anniversary part, family reunion etc?

      I don't wear suits often but I like blazers. Chino cotton blazers wear out fast for me so two in a rotation would 100% extend the life of the blazers. Plus you like the jacket already and you know it fits.

      Comment


        #4
        I like the idea of this thread....

        Most recently I purchased the suede double monks that Joe just reviewed. http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/1901-lyn...j6_12.DBnEEaCg

        I purchased the rust but they are not as sleek as I would like. That is the main reason for wanting to return them but I am unwilling to do so because of the price and the fact that I missed out on the Zara and SuitSupply suede double monks. I don't want to spend more than 150 on a pair of shoes that will get minimal wear in my rotation.

        @Lankus...I would say if the fit is spot on and the funds are there bite the bullet. I personally can't fit the JCF thompson because my shoulders are too broad (story of my life) but lots of guys on the forum appear to favor the jcf. If it's affordable and you will get good use of it...go for it!

        @Brent K...I'm not familiar with the style or fit but $700 for a peacoat I just can't fathom..my apologies...

        Comment


          #5
          cant say id buy the peacoat. as for the blazer/suit question, i agree that it depends on whether youd get more use out of a suit or blazers...

          Comment


            #6
            I love this thread. Great idea.

            @Brent: 700 for a peacoat is rough. It is a beautiful coat that should last you forever, but it sounds like you may have something that is quite durable with your USGI peacoat. If it is anything like mine it isn't about to poop out anytime soon.

            @Lankus: Do you have a summer suit? I would say complete the suit. Two reasons: personally, I would wear a navy much more than khaki. The navy pants and blazer can work easily on their own. T

            @jmp: If you don't like the shoes take them back. Its not even spring yet. I would guess there will be other versions of that shoe popping up in the next few months.

            Now on to my question!

            I am also looking at the JCF summer suits. I am looking at the cotton cord option. I don't have a summer suit (actually only have 1 suit that I like to wear, navy). I do wear blazers fairly often, so I like that it could double as a blazer. I was on the fence about a summer suit (Oxford or chino) on final sale at jcrew for roughly the same price but I wanted to try it on before I committed. None of the Jcrews near me had any of them. So I am leaning towards the risk free purchase of the cotton cord (free shipping and a JCF not that far from me).

            Comment


              #7
              I've got one: BR Navy Mac Jacket. http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...&pid=932521002

              So I missed out on Uniqlo's (not-actually-a) Chesterfield in navy, and I've been kicking myself ever since. I don't wear suits often, so the slightly more casual look of a Mac is just fine by me. I also don't have any navy outerwear at all, but this seems maybe a bit much for cotton/poly. However, at 40% off, it's a bit more palatable. What do you gents think?

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by phillipndavis View Post
                I've got one: BR Navy Mac Jacket. http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...&pid=932521002

                So I missed out on Uniqlo's (not-actually-a) Chesterfield in navy, and I've been kicking myself ever since. I don't wear suits often, so the slightly more casual look of a Mac is just fine by me. I also don't have any navy outerwear at all, but this seems maybe a bit much for cotton/poly. However, at 40% off, it's a bit more palatable. What do you gents think?
                Man, I love that coat too. I'll be buying it with the 40% off if it makes you feel any better.

                Comment


                  #9
                  After months of back and forth in my head, I finally broke down and bought the AE Strands in Bourbon. Part of my waffling was that I knew I would need (as I have for a long time) a new dress belt to go with it. I am not keen on the idea of dropping $115 for the Manistee belt and the more palatable Dearborn belt I cannot find in my waist size. That being said, I am kind of hard to please in the sense that "close enough" in color will bother me. So basically, should I or shouldn't I buy the Manistee belt? And if anyone has any personal experiences with other, cheaper, belts matching that color, I would be more than happy to entertain those as well.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Brent - make sure you try it on first. I really wanted that pea coat too but when I tried it on I was in between sizes so that made me get over it pretty quick. Same thing happened to me when I stopped by the Burberry store and tried on their classic trench. Once I tried it on and realized the fit wasn't so great for me, I had no more desire for it.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      The Billy Reid Peacoat is also on my list of items that I am interested in. Although, I already have a semi-decent peacoat. It'll probably one of the last of items in my wardrobe that gets upgraded, but it sure does look great.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Brent k View Post
                        Kinda surprised we don't have a thread like this already. Basically a thread where to post potential purchases. On the fence, thinking about it. Toss your idea to the forum for others opinions and gain insight from others.

                        My personally one Billy Reid bond peacoat. I love the coat the medium should fit amazing judging by measurements. I can't really get the sack to pay $700 for a peacoat when I have a vintage Sterlingwear of Boston USGI navy coat already. I'm not a huge fan of the collar and how massive it is and it is large in the waist and my girlfriend says it's way too large in the midsection, shoulders fit perfect.
                        I happened to pick one up during a 20% off sale in October. I'm a 42R, 6'2, 190-195, athletic build, and my large fits perfectly OTR. I have zero regrets about the purchase, but to be fair, I also didn't already have a peacoat. The craftsmanship and detailing justify the price, in my opinion, and the customer service was great.

                        A note of warning, the old Bond peacoats (navy) were 100% wool and the current ones are a mixture (80/20, wool/nylon). After 3 months, I have no complaints about the fabric. It's been in snow, light rain and still looks fantastic.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          @Brent: I wouldn't buy the peacoat, it's redundant and it sounds like you don't like everything about it. Also, do you wear the peacoat you have often? If not, then that's another strike. I don't know your income, but if i'm dropping $300+ on something that isn't a suit, then it's gotta be high quality, I have to absolutely love it, and I have to wear the hell out of it.

                          @Lankus: This depends on what you'd get more use out of. I'm kind of frugal so i'd actually just stick with the navy sportcoat if you already have a navy suit. I don't see the khaki sportcoat getting much wear since it's a very light color, I think a darker more tobacco khaki might get more wear. Again though, if it works with your wardrobe and complexion, get it.

                          @jmp: I would return them. You don't like them and you said that they would get minimal wear in your rotation anyways.

                          @phillip: Not sure about that one, I think I would rather hold off for something more like the chesterfield

                          @yoder: If you have time I would monitor ebay to see if you can catch a deal on one of those belts

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Well, this is a good thread, I guess. I mentioned over in deals that this grey Ludlow sportcoat is $125-$147 on sale. I don't know about the elbow patches. Don't you need an over-under and a beard and a dog?

                            You know, like this guy?
                            http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mc...a6c7o1_500.jpg

                            I'd rather wait for a grey tweed or herringbone with no elbow patches, since I think the elbow patches are inherently more casual.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Lankus View Post
                              My dilemma: Already purchased the JCF Thompson navy chino jacket a week ago during the 30 percent off sale. Now the pants are available. Should I buy the pants and make it a suit OR use it as I intended (a cotton blazer) and buy the same jacket but in khaki that is now available instead (for a more versatile blazer rotation)?
                              I have owned the coat for a while and then bought the pants. It works great as a Spring/Summer suit. I say make it a suit.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X