How formal are cardigans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How formal are cardigans?

Title says it all...would you wear a cardigan over a button down shirt to a "dress nice" event (that's not full-blown formalwear)? I guess another way of putting it is, how does that look compare to wearing a v-neck sweater over a button down on the formality scale? If it matters, the particular cardigan I'm contemplating is a shawl collar.

I think shawl cardigans are more casual than regular cardigans... I'd wear a regular cardigan or v-neck with a shirt and tie to a dress event, but not a shawl cardigan.

Comment

I think it is just clean casual wear, but like any type of clothing, it can vary to some being modernized casual and youthful, while others are designer trim and proper traditional ones.

I think cardigans are on the more casual side of the sweater range. I'd wear to a party maybe, but not to a formal event.

Comment

This short video should answer your question.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMFDphMXTlQ

Comment

I'm going to go with no. If it's a "dress nice" event that is not formal, you should still be wearing a jacket.

I'd say a shirt, tie, with v-neck over it would be the next step down from that.

Cardigans are less dressy than v-necks, and shawl collars are casual.

Comment

I'd say that a v-neck sweater vest falls somewhere between a jacket and full v-neck sweater because it can look like perhaps you've just taken your jacket off and left it somwhere. ;-)

Agreed with above, though. I don't think there's a place for a cardigan when you're trying to "dress nice".

Comment

I can't help but think of Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood.

Comment

I've always thought of all sweaters as casual wear.

Also I don't see why you couldn't wear a blazer over a cardigan.

Comment

Tux > Suit > Blazer > V-neck > Cardigan

I'd avoid a shawl collar personally, but if that's your thing it's probably about the same as a standard cardigan, or even less formal.

Comment

I have to disagree with everyone that says a v-neck is more formal then a cardigan. With a cardigan you see more of a tie, I routinely wear cardigans instead of blazers around the office, and look a lot more prefessional then the guys in the office wearing v-necks (shawl collared cardigans are on par with v-necks though)

A solid color cardigan with a solid white or light blue shirt could pass at most events I've been to that aren't "Black tie"

twitter: @adg_ca
                    instagram: @adg_ca

Comment

I have to disagree with everyone that says a v-neck is more formal then a cardigan. With a cardigan you see more of a tie, I routinely wear cardigans instead of blazers around the office, and look a lot more prefessional then the guys in the office wearing v-necks (shawl collared cardigans are on par with v-necks though)

A solid color cardigan with a solid white or light blue shirt could pass at most events I've been to that aren't "Black tie"

twitter: @adg_ca
                      instagram: @adg_ca

Comment

I wore a (more roomy) blazer over a toggle cardigan to dinner once and was informed by my lady friend that what I was doing was 'incorrect', haha. I had to inform her that I knew I was doing something unusual but that I liked the look in this particular case. She agreed that it looked ok. Probably was just a one time thing for me but you never know.

Comment

Speak of the devil!

http://brentfavre.com/store/products/view/3479/160

Comment

Working...
                          X