boot cut jeans

what body type goes well with it?

women's?

Comment

/thread.

unless you wear western style boots every day

Comment

A woman who misses bell bottoms?

But seriously, I think in certain culture, such as western or southern areas where work/cowboy boots are both on and off-duty footwear, the style has lingered.

I say avoid them. They tend to look dated, awkward, and unflattering to me.

Comment

Hahaha

So...what jeans do you wear with boots so that the cuff doesn't bunch up and sit at the top?

Comment

what types of boots are you wearing. I can wear 501's with everything and 514's with everything except western boots. (this includes moto boots, chukkas, wingtip boots)

Comment

It's a common look here in Dallas so most people here don't give it a second thought. (I don't personally own any boots or jeans.) Cowboy boots do flare, though, so you probably need SOME space around the ankle.

Bottom line: Boot cut jeans exist for a reason, but if you're not wearing the boots, might as well ditch the boot cut jeans.

Comment

Wearing these:

I'll start out with my 501's slipped over the top then look down a little later, and they're half in, half out. Not sure how to play this one.

Comment

@nicholas:

Possible causes:

small leg openings around the ankles (makes for a tight fit to begin with)

stiff jeans (preventing draping over the boot)

no break in the jean legs (causing jeans to rise over the top of the boot)

Does it untuck at the front or the back?

This is pretty much the sort of thing that boot cut jeans were made for, though they'd likely look odd with anything other than cowboy boots. Maybe you can rubber band the upper portion of the shoe around your ankle. ;-)

Comment

Untuck in the front. The tab in the back probably helps hold the back together. I'll get a pic at some point when I'm not wearing flannel-lined jeans and Sorels. =D

Yes, all of those are probable reasons. If they were a little longer, they would hold themselves in place better, but their length is pretty perfect right now. I don't want to wear boot cut jeans for a number of reasons, but I can just see the place for them in that regard.

If the top of the boot were a little taller or a little more narrow, I don't think I'd have this problem either.

Comment

Do you have a way to discretely cinch up the goring on the inside of each ankle? I don't mean inside the boot, but rather on the inner side of the boot. Maybe a safety pin in each one?

Comment

It depends on the amount of flare at the bottom. Pants that taper down to the knee, but go straight down to the ankle can still be classified as "boot cut". What I like about bootcut is the taper down to the knees. It flatters an athletic figure and the lack of taper from the knee down prevents the wearer from looking like a top. Or a carrot. Or Humpty Dumpty.

So, to answer your question, dudes with larger upper thighs and glutes and small calves would benefit from a bootcut. Just take it easy on the flare.

Comment

nicholas, I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet. If your jeans are stacking (and you don't like that look), your inseams are too long for the leg openings. Get them hemmed.

Just an FYI, on a related note, if you ever get any of your pants tapered at a tailor, if they know what they're doing, they'll tell you that you should also get them taken up as well because the smaller the leg opening, the higher you need to hem them to maintain the same break.

Comment

Chareth, I think you might be misunderstanding Nicholas's problem. I think he's referring to the way his jeans catch and bunch at the tops of his boots, rather than sliding down over them. I.e., his pants are fine, but when he sits down then stands up again, the pant leg doesn't sit back down where it should be but gets caught and bunched at the top of the boot.

Ben

Comment

Thanks, Ben. I didn't wasn't sure what you meant by stacking, Chareth, but Ben's describing what's happening well.

They're new boots - I'll try them with other pants and see if it's just the leg opening on the 501's or what.

Comment

Working...
                              X