Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alan
    replied

@BenR: You and I share the same issue in terms of body type. that being said, I have a single vent, a double vent, and no ventless.

Leave a comment:

• LesserBlackDog
    replied

I think part of my distaste for ventless jackets is because I have a substantial posterior, so I need the extra freedom and flexibility that double vents provide. Even a single-vented jacket can look pulled or strained in the back if the fit isn't 100% spot on.

I definitely go for a double vent whenever possible.

Also, I'm not sure about vents being made to fit the masses off-the-rack. From my understanding, jacket vents were originally designed to make the jacket more comfortable to wear while riding a horse. I'm fairly certain that vented jackets date much earlier than industrial-scale production of clothing - but you're certainly right that vented jackets allow for a better OTR fit than ventless.

Leave a comment:

• alan
    replied

It's all a matter of personal preference and what looks good on your body shape. I think we'll all just have to agree to disagree since there's no right or wrong answer. :-)

Leave a comment:

• MaxMan
    replied

I think the ventless thing is more an American trend as you typically dont see Europeans wearing ventless Jackets Bespoke or not. While I do agree with Joe G that the ventless would look nicer on a bespoke suit, i still think the double vent is nicer. But thats just personal preference.

Leave a comment:

• ChrisW
    replied

I find that ventless jackets make guys look like they are wearing a tube. Maybe I have only seen poorly fitting examples, though. Does anyone have any links to pics of kick-ass looking ventless jackets?

Leave a comment:

• Joe G.
    replied

BenR, that may be true, but ironically a ventless jacket should be considered more upscale.

From what I've read, vents were originally designed to fit more individuals off-the-rack. A ventless jacket, in theory, would fit best in a bespoke situation.

Leave a comment:

• salo
    replied

You can have vents sewn shut by a tailor.

My Belvest cashmere jacket is ventless and awesome.

Leave a comment:

• LesserBlackDog
    replied

I judge people who wear ventless jackets. Just sayin'.

(All the ventless jackets I've seen are cheap polyester or dated and out-of-style.)

Leave a comment:

• jason_carreira
    replied

Ventless is very old school and vintage looking. You won't find a modern garment that's ventless.

Leave a comment:

• jose_jackson
    replied

I think I would like ventless too. Vents seem to ruin the silhouette more than they help functioning. People will tell you that's for evening wear, but that just seems like an arbitrary rule to me.

Leave a comment:

• salo
    replied

You could always go ventless. Makes for a clean silhouette.

Leave a comment:

• nicholascrawford
    replied

I'm watching Mad Men now, and I think the single vent just looks like an extension of the butt crack. =P

Leave a comment:

• alan
    replied

If you've got chicken legs then you might want to give the single vent another look, too. :-) I don't think there's a right or wrong in that regard, but there's no reason to make up your mind before you try them both on. Happy hunting!

Leave a comment:

• nicholascrawford
    replied

I've got chicken legs! I wish I had quads like a horse, so instead, I'll just knock the pleat. ;-)

Leave a comment:

• alan
    replied

Ditto on trying the jackets on. While I prefer the look of a single vent on other people, the double vent fits me better because of my body shape (large back side). The jacket just lays better for me with the double vent.

As for the pants, I have flat front pants on my grey suit, but my navy suit pants have a single pleat (and no cuff). I know the flat front is in style, but I've got very big legs in proportion to my torso/waistline, and the pleated pants are very comfortable. As JC said, sitting in flat front pants is the hard part, and even the single pleat makes a big difference. Heck, I'm wearing them right now and they're great!

So bottom line... Don't knock the pleat. ;-)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X