No announcement yet.

One, Two or Three Button Suit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ventless is very old school and vintage looking. You won't find a modern garment that's ventless.

Comment

I judge people who wear ventless jackets. Just sayin'.

(All the ventless jackets I've seen are cheap polyester or dated and out-of-style.)

Ben

Comment

You can have vents sewn shut by a tailor.

My Belvest cashmere jacket is ventless and awesome.

Comment

BenR, that may be true, but ironically a ventless jacket should be considered more upscale.

From what I've read, vents were originally designed to fit more individuals off-the-rack. A ventless jacket, in theory, would fit best in a bespoke situation.

Comment

I find that ventless jackets make guys look like they are wearing a tube. Maybe I have only seen poorly fitting examples, though. Does anyone have any links to pics of kick-ass looking ventless jackets?

Comment

I think the ventless thing is more an American trend as you typically dont see Europeans wearing ventless Jackets Bespoke or not. While I do agree with Joe G that the ventless would look nicer on a bespoke suit, i still think the double vent is nicer. But thats just personal preference.

"The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
              I>0<I

Comment

It's all a matter of personal preference and what looks good on your body shape. I think we'll all just have to agree to disagree since there's no right or wrong answer. :-)

Comment

I think part of my distaste for ventless jackets is because I have a substantial posterior, so I need the extra freedom and flexibility that double vents provide. Even a single-vented jacket can look pulled or strained in the back if the fit isn't 100% spot on.

I definitely go for a double vent whenever possible.

Also, I'm not sure about vents being made to fit the masses off-the-rack. From my understanding, jacket vents were originally designed to make the jacket more comfortable to wear while riding a horse. I'm fairly certain that vented jackets date much earlier than industrial-scale production of clothing - but you're certainly right that vented jackets allow for a better OTR fit than ventless.

Ben

Comment

@BenR: You and I share the same issue in terms of body type. that being said, I have a single vent, a double vent, and no ventless.

Comment

Working...
                    X