Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vic View Post
    I think the Beacon was the original name
    Yes, I was going to say this, too. Good article in the link.

Comment

I am 6 ft, 175lbs I ended up with an XL because it was the last in stock at a local store. Hits me just right in the shoulders, but big everywhere else. Would Barbour swap it for a large?

Comment

Hello,
        in advance, I´m from Germany, so, sorry for any grammar failings.
        I also want to share my experiences here about this nice jacket, which I bought approx. half a year ago. First I was sad about the fact, that the jacket was off stock everywhere, after Skyfall was broadcasted. But after some months of time it could be ordered again. I bought it from a GB onlineshop. After unboxing it, the jacket looked great and I liked it very much. I was wearing it almost every day, BUT was wondering, why I always began to transpire after 1-2 hours. I also own a almost similar Barbour jacket "Shoreman" and wearing this jacket, I don´t sweat. After this experience I was unhappy about the jacket. Walking through the city or going to work and get wet arms and back, is not comfortable. I began to think about the structure of this jacket and came to the decision that the inner layer has to be the reason for this abnormal sweating. I got in contact with a local certified Barbour dealer and the told me to send it to a certified Barbour tailor, they will help me. My idea was to exchange the inner layer, which may causes the sweating. I sent a email to this company and described my problem. The reply was a big surprise. The agent told me that Barbour used a membrane between the outer layer and the inner layer, to keep the jacket more rainproof then before. This membrane works like a thermoplastic foil and is unfortunately airtight :-( Now I was knowing the reason for my wet arms and back. I asked if this membrane can be removed and they told me it´s possible. Also they reported that they heard from other customers about this behavior. I sent my jacket to this company (Repair and repoorfing, Meyer & Meyer Logistikzentrum) and after 7 weeks (vacation time and a lot of other orders) they sent it back to me. I payed €144 but every euro is worth it :-) Since two weeks I wear this jacket almost every day and no sweating is noticeable! I´m very happy with this jacket now!
        Let me know if anyone of you faces the same sweat-behavior with this jacket :-)

Br,
        Marcus
        Last edited by Kussi; October 25, 2014, 05:47 AM.

Comment

Interesting. I had never heard of this membrane before. Thanks for reporting.

Comment

So, you never recognized any transpiration after a while or wondering why the jacket is warm above the ordinary compared to jackets with similar style?

Comment

Originally posted by Kussi View Post
              Hello,
              in advance, I´m from Germany, so, sorry for any grammar failings.
              I also want to share my experiences here about this nice jacket, which I bought approx. half a year ago. First I was sad about the fact, that the jacket was off stock everywhere, after Skyfall was broadcasted. But after some months of time it could be ordered again. I bought it from a GB onlineshop. After unboxing it, the jacket looked great and I liked it very much. I was wearing it almost every day, BUT was wondering, why I always began to transpire after 1-2 hours. I also own a almost similar Barbour jacket "Shoreman" and wearing this jacket, I don´t sweat. After this experience I was unhappy about the jacket. Walking through the city or going to work and get wet arms and back, is not comfortable. I began to think about the structure of this jacket and came to the decision that the inner layer has to be the reason for this abnormal sweating. I got in contact with a local certified Barbour dealer and the told me to send it to a certified Barbour tailor, they will help me. My idea was to exchange the inner layer, which may causes the sweating. I sent a email to this company and described my problem. The reply was a big surprise. The agent told me that Barbour used a membrane between the outer layer and the inner layer, to keep the jacket more rainproof then before. This membrane works like a thermoplastic foil and is unfortunately airtight :-( Now I was knowing the reason for my wet arms and back. I asked if this membrane can be removed and they told me it´s possible. Also they reported that they heard from other customers about this behavior. I sent my jacket to this company (Repair and repoorfing, Meyer & Meyer Logistikzentrum) and after 7 weeks (vacation time and a lot of other orders) they sent it back to me. I payed €144 but every euro is worth it :-) Since two weeks I wear this jacket almost every day and no sweating is noticeable! I´m very happy with this jacket now!
              Let me know if anyone of you faces the same sweat-behavior with this jacket :-)

Br,
              Marcus
              Marcus you are not alone. You are totally right. I thought this was just me. Today I have rang Barbour and emailed them. They suggested some new eyes in the coat but they didnt appear to agree with the lining issue. I have emailed Mayer today and if it means sending it to Germany to fix it I will. I've worn it today and its unnaturally wet inside and overheating. Thanks mate. I've registered tonight just to say you are right.
              Had the jacket a year. All the best.

Comment

I´m happy for helping you!
                Last edited by Kussi; October 31, 2014, 04:45 AM.

Comment

someone over in reddit has his beacon jacket tailor by his local tailor:

http://imgur.com/a/vVI0u

This is his status
                  "
                  My Story I'm 5'7" 130lbs with a 34" chest. I'm a small guy. As such, wearing barbour is a challenge for me. A little over a year ago I got my first (a Bedale) in a size 32, because Barbour sizes their jackets nonsensically. The 32 fits perfectly with plenty of room for layering underneath. Unfortunately, this means that any Barbour that isn't sized by chest measurements (ie S, M, L, XL) is usually off limits for me. Or at least that's what I thought.
                  I was able to finally put a Commander on about a month ago and was instantly in love. It was big and I was floating around in it a bit, but I had made my peace with having to have it tailored a long time ago anyway. It fit perfectly on the shoulders, was about an inch too long in the sleeves, wasn't slim enough across the chest, and had too much room in the bicep area. A lot wasn't right, but the jacket is really amazing to see in person and crucially, it fit well in the areas that are difficult to have fixed."

original thread from reddit:
                  http://www.reddit.com/r/malefashiona...our_commander/

Comment

Not going to buy it, but the Beacon Jacket on sale at END is mighty tempting. I'm still more of a fan of the ToKiTo version, really wish that it was re-released.

Comment

Love my commander

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                      X