• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    alan
    Dappered Veteran

• alan
    replied

While my post was more a commentary on people's reactions to my new clothing choices rather than my reasoning for doing so, I'm not sure there's one right reason to dress a certain way. Do I do it for me? Sure. But would I like a positive reaction? Of course! Especially if it's the opinions of people that matter to me such as my in-laws, managers at my company, and people in my MBA program because their opinions of me could help to open doors in other aspects of my life.

Leave a comment:

• Tat

• Tat
    replied

@Alan, personally I dress the way I do because to me "Its the only right way"

Dont dress differently in hopes of getting people to notice, do it for you...

Leave a comment:

• alan
    Dappered Veteran

• alan
    replied

I've been dressing better for about 2 weeks now, and pretty much everyone at work has noticed. So has my father-in-law (which can't be a bad thing).

Most responses have been positive or indifferent. Only a couple have been negative. It almost seemed to me that they were somehow uncomfortable with it, though. So that's not me - that's on them.

I wore a tie to work every day this week - even on casual Friday. (By contrast, in my department, not even the managers wear ties.) I'm getting very comfortable with it all, and I guess that's the key. You just have to do it until it starts to feel right.

My MBA classes start back up next week, and we'll see if any of my teammates notice. :-)

Leave a comment:

• Bookman

• Bookman
    replied

well done!

Leave a comment:

• jputman08

• jputman08
    replied

Very well written! Improving yourself is not a crime as some would make it out to be. Go outside your comfort zone and you discover just how limitless you can be.

Related reading from The Effortless Gent:

http://www.effortlessgent.com/do-it-anyway-improving-yourself-and-dealing-with-those-who-dont-understand/

I'm excited to see what 2012 brings!

Leave a comment:

• nicholascrawford
    Varsity Member

• nicholascrawford
    replied

Kittiwake, I'm glad I'm not alone!! Beautifully written!

Leave a comment:

• jason_carreira

• jason_carreira
    replied

You've just gotta keep going and be patient. Lots of times I get nothing when I go, then you'll find something great at other times.

Leave a comment:

• KC
    replied

I'm surprised you guys can do so well on thrifting. I would love to find a decent blazer, some shoes, or even a great tie. I gave it a try a few months back and cycled through a smaller, neighborhood thrift store and a bigger, standard Goodwill and never really found anything great. I scored a couple of J. Crew button downs from the neighborhood spot one time, but that's it.

The bigger Goodwill store just had a bunch of the same Brooks Brothers shirt, in, guess what color - light blue.

Leave a comment:

• alan
    Dappered Veteran

• alan
    replied

KC, I got a slightly different reaction at work. They wondered if I had a job interview on my lunch break. :-P

Leave a comment:

• Tat

• Tat
    replied

[email protected]

@kittiwake30, well said. I admire your writing, its intriguing, keeps me yearning for more, Now, I expect a weekly column on the threads to feed my lust.

Leave a comment:

• KC
    replied

Nailed it, TC. Especially:

"The boss, wearing a short sleeved dress shirt that makes him look like a supermarket grocery bagger, asks if you’re going to church. This transformation will take some resolve."

Ahh, been through that. Only the people I work with all of a sudden ask, "oh crap, is there a meeting today?" whenever they see me with a tie, and then go to check their calendars to make sure.

Leave a comment:

• alan
    Dappered Veteran

• alan
    replied

LOL funny that you mention thrifting. I stopped by Goodwill on the way home last night. I found a herringbone blazer that fits and looks awesome (it's actually what I went in there looking for). It was originally $8, but on sale for 50% off so I walked aout with a blazer costing me just $4.32 after tax. Chaching!

When I got it home and showed it to my wife, she liked it, but wouldn't let me set it down on anything. It went straight into a bag to go to the dry cleaners.

Leave a comment:

• jason_carreira

• jason_carreira
    replied

Haha! Yeah, suddenly people in my office started ironing their shirts and wearing ties.

After you've made yourself broke you may go my route and start thrifting... and then even picking up things that don't fit you but are high quality and flipping them on ebay, just to feed your habit. I'm not a junkie though. I can stop whenever I want.

Leave a comment:

• alan
    Dappered Veteran

• alan
    replied

Well his sums it all up for me. Well I only discovered this site not even two weeks ago as part of a wardrobe overhaul, but I'm already hooked.

Heck, I only had a 3-day work week because of the holiday, and I wore ties twice. That's as much as the whole past 6 months!

I'm not that small-town guy above, but I work in IT. There are certain expectations for the way they dress. Even with a half-empty office this week, I've gotten a lot of compliments (and questions). I'm liking it. :-)

Leave a comment:

• BYC

• BYC
    replied

Awesome, well written

Leave a comment:

Working...
X