Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A good warm topcoat

hey Gents,

The bane of my existence (he said with no hyperbole) is that I cannot find an affordable coat that I can wear with a suit. Now let me qualify that: I am looking for a WARM coat. One that I can wear over/with a suit. Something trim (with room for the suit jacket natch). Something stylish- but functional. Functional: warm, mayhaps a bit weather resistant. Wool? Under $500ish? Would love a longer P-Coat style- I like the way they button up- I have the express one in black from last year. Great coat- not the warmest- but it's all I got right now to wear over a suit (that and a very thin BR trench that fits like a garbage bag- man I need to get that tailored). So I picked up a suitsupply suit in Nov (great experience with them in DC btw- the suit is awesome) and took a look at their topcoats. Beautiful. Thin. More "fashionable" than functional. And at $550- not willing to spend that to still be chilly on my often long walks to/frm wrk. So I welcome your thoughts… and hope you all had a wonderful holiday/christmas/day off.

I'd like to see what other people say. It seems like all the cheaper options are blends with polyester.

Comment

I fear how "stylish" a top coat can actually look once its on top of a suit. Not that it can't look good, but just that you're not going to get a very slim silhouette because there's just too much in the way, especially if you want it to be warm. My piece of very non-specific advice is to loosen up literally and figuratively on the look and the search will get easier. Also I think overcoats to go over suits are meant to get you from one warm place to another relatively quickly so perhaps don't need to be as warm as other puffier versions.

What about the Suitsupply Navy Overcoat? Pure wool at a little under $500. Not seen in person, so don't know about weight though.

Otherwise think of a polo jacket, as discussed on PTO recently. THey don't have very current styling, but I really like those he's got posted. http://putthison.com/post/7049826898...-it-doesnt-get

Comment

maybe not much help, but look on ebay (or you know, that OTHER style website) for a used one. I ended up buying what I thought was a decent coat off a guy on SF for $80.

It felt really nice, and I hadn't heard of the name. Turns out it was a company that briefly sold their stuff at Barneys, and still had the barneys tag in it, originally a $1400 topcoat.

So yeah, look around -- could be worth it. Sorry no suggestions for new

Comment

Have you looked at american apparel's "peacoats"? They never go on sale but they're below $200 and have a pretty solid construction. Unfortunately, no inside pockets but I like them for my own usage and they'll be great to rotate in with my army navy surplus peacoat.

http://store.americanapparel.net/pro...uctId=rsawn400

Comment

Macys has a Tommy Hilfiger topcoat Gray/black herringbone $150 on sale.

Comment

I would recommend the j. Crew ludlow charcoal herringbone with Thinsulate. Prices right now at around $300 when you use the 40% coupon.

Comment

+1 for the J.Crew Ludlow herringbone - its very nice in person, and still has a nice silhouette even over a suit. Its a pretty reasonable price for the quality.

Are you in DC, or did you just buy your Suitsupply suit in DC? Because it really does not get that cold here - I find I just wear a sweater under my suit with a scarf, or tweed jacket with a scarf, as often as I wear an overcoat - and I walk about two miles to/from work...

Comment

J Crew Factory has 40% off clearance right now, so the Thompson topcoat in black is $74, final sale:

http://factory.jcrew.com/mens-clothi..._jtt_v_pdp=yes

Comment

Originally posted by watch37 View Post
                    I would recommend the j. Crew ludlow charcoal herringbone with Thinsulate. Prices right now at around $300 when you use the 40% coupon.
                    This is the second time I've seen someone here recommend the Thinsulate Ludlow Topcoat for 40% off. Only the non-thinsulate one is on sale online (the thinsulate one is not on sale - so the 40% coupon does not apply). Is this an instore thing or something?

Comment

Originally posted by dapperedcpa View Post
                      This is the second time I've seen someone here recommend the Thinsulate Ludlow Topcoat for 40% off. Only the non-thinsulate one is on sale online (the thinsulate one is not on sale - so the 40% coupon does not apply). Is this an instore thing or something?
                      You are right...the 40% no longer works on that coat. It worked a few days ago, but not anymore.

Comment

Either way, the code will work again when it does go on sale (and they will surely offer another 40% off sale items). It could be different this year, but I recall these topcoats appearing in the sale section into the spring last year and the year before. If you really love it and are willing to pay more for it, then by all means do so. But I've found that J.Crew items will usually appear again in my size if I wait - many times I've jumped on a "deal" because I was afraid I'd miss out on a price or my size, only to be trumped by a better deal a few days/weeks later.

Comment

Both are on sale again with code BYEWINTER at JCrew.com. Puts them in the $200-$250 range.

Comment

Working...
                          X