New blazers - LBM 1911 & Club Monaco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New blazers - LBM 1911 & Club Monaco

Some decent LBM blazers finally showed up in my size (36) on Yoox for reasonable prices (~$230) so I snatched three, with intention of keeping one. I've also been on the hunt for a windowpane jacket, so I also got this one from Club Monaco. The real dilemma is which one to keep. As I mentioned, it's rare to see anything from LBM in my size sub $300 on Yoox. It's also damn near impossible to find a windowpane blazer for less than $500.

First one is a gray linen-cotton. I really like the feel of the material. I'm not sure how much wear I'll get out of it, since I already have a light gray corded cotton jacket.

Second is a brown washed moleskin jacket. I like the color and feel of the material, but the washed look doesn't do it for me.

cont...
    Last edited by bjmcgeever; December 19, 2013, 11:35 AM.

Third is a houndstooth flannel. The pattern is unique and the material has a great texture to it. That said, it's only 2/3 wool (other third is a mix of polyester and polyamide). Not sure I really want to drop $200+ on a partially synthetic jacket.

This is the Club Monaco one. It definitely has a different look than the LBMs, with its structured shoulders and flap pockets. The cotton is a twill with a bit of a brushed texture. It's nice, but nothing amazing.

Comment

Looks like you could go with either one of them, but if I had to choose:I like the houndstooth flannel one the best, followed with the Club Monaco one.

Comment

I like the brown moleskin followed by the houndstooth.

Comment

Moleskin followed by windowpane. Full disclosure: I think the windowpane is too light for me but if you don't mind a light jacket w/ darker pants it's fine.

Comment

I like the houndstooth the best. I'm not sure what else is in your closet but I tend to eliminate options that are most similar to what I already own.

Comment

The LBM ones have a better fit for you, IMO. That Club Monaco isn't doing much for me (or you). It is rather chopped-looking with poor drape. Material wise, I like the cotton/linen and houndstooth best. I agree with you that a high poly content seems inappropriate in a $200+ jacket, though.

If you do end up keeping either of the top two blazers, I think you'll want to get them pressed so the lapels roll to the middle button.

P.S. I feel like the moleskin is the best-fitting, but I really don't like the color fade, especially around all the exposed pick-stitching, which have a rather puckered look. I feel like the color fade makes the jacket too casual to wear except in limited circumstances.
              Last edited by LesserBlackDog; December 19, 2013, 03:04 PM.
              Ben

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                The LBM ones have a better fit for you, IMO. That Club Monaco isn't doing much for me (or you). It is rather chopped-looking with poor drape. Material wise, I like the cotton/linen and houndstooth best. I agree with you that a high poly content seems inappropriate in a $200+ jacket, though.

If you do end up keeping either of the top two blazers, I think you'll want to get them pressed so the lapels roll to the middle button.

P.S. I feel like the moleskin is the best-fitting, but I really don't like the color fade, especially around all the exposed pick-stitching, which have a rather puckered look. I feel like the color fade makes the jacket too casual to wear except in limited circumstances.
                You're right. The drape isn't the best. I wonder if the fabric will soften up as some of my other cotton jackets have. It's interesting that you think the CM jacket is chopped. I believe it's actually longer and has a lower button stance than the LBM jackets.

I'll certainly get them pressed.

We also have the same issue with the brown jacket.

Comment

I agree that the LBM jackets seem to fit best. That being said: is the houndstooth one a different cut? it looks to fit you differently than the other two, although it could just be the picture. I like the brown moleskin one the best, but agree that it is really only usable in very casual circumstances.

I snagged an LBM 1911 jacket recently off of yoox too, and am biding my time for another. I really like the way they accent an athletic physique with little tailoring in the waist required. Enjoy whichever one you intend to keep!

Comment

Some amazing options here for sure. I really like the washed brown moleskin, but maybe because it would address a gap in my own collection! Otherwise, I'd vote for the houndstooth - very nice looking jacket. The windowpane one is nice enough, but I prefer the other two. As for the grey, looks like you already talked yourself out of it - its a great looking jacket, and nice fabric texture, but if you have something similar, I'd pass.

Comment

Originally posted by bjmcgeever View Post
                      It's interesting that you think the CM jacket is chopped. I believe it's actually longer and has a lower button stance than the LBM jackets.
                      Interesting, maybe it's just the angle of the photo or the different pants you're wearing that make it look shorter to me.
                      Ben

Comment

Working...
                      X