Type of clothes needed for Chicago?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Type of clothes needed for Chicago?

A recent opportunity has made it very likely that I will have to move to Chicago at the end of next year. I am moving from Atlanta which has a pretty mild climate so I don't really have any cold weather stuff besides a medium jacket and I don't really take any extra care to protect my nicer shoes either. What kind of stuff can I pick up that will help me get through that Chicago winter?

Thanks

mister_deez, As a former Chicago native I feel that I'm uniquely qualified to warn you about Chicago's weather. It is, in a word, terrible. The summers are exceptionally humid and hot, and the winters are cold and miserable with frequent snow. You'll need a heavy winter coat, gloves, a scarf, and a hat at the very least. I would also get some galoshes (Swims is a common brand, but any should do) for your nicer shoes.

Apart from the weather, Chicago is a great city to live in. Unlike New Yorkers, Chicago natives are friendly and outgoing. There are plenty of cultural events going on at all times, and there are a wealth of inexpensive and free events in the downtown Millennium Park area.

Comment

Isn't Chicago currently the murder capital of the USA? Maybe something with Kevlar built in.

Only have been on a few Chicago trips never in the dead of winter. Wind and snow. Dress warm very warm.

Comment

Wear a Vancouver Canucks jersey and open carry an assault rifle, it's your right!(I have no idea if there's any other law preventing this in Illinois, I just see all the nutjobs on youtube doing this to piss off cops)

Comment

I've had the opportunity to travel to Chicago for business several times over the last 12 months, and I absolutely loved it. When comparing to Manhattan, I would have to agree with Bruschetta in saying that on average the people are more friendly there. It's a much cleaner city overall, but they have more pan-handlers (in my experience). I couldn't walk 10 feet on Michigan Avenue without being asked for money by a different person. As a former Gotham resident, it felt like a home away from home. Great shopping, great restaurants, and great night life. Enjoy!

Comment

Cold and snowy? Really? I'm in Western NY. For every inch Chicago gets, we get about a foot here. I think I was there for New Years 2012, caught a snowstorm around that time, and they didn't get any accumulation over an inch the rest of the year. Or was it 2011? Either way, I visit frequently (my wife lived there for a couple years before we were married) and rarely see snow or rain.

Chicago is great, though, one of my favorite cities in the US, and some even better suburbs. Get a warm jacket, hat and gloves, and some boots with rubber tread on the bottom for when it does snow.

Comment

Boots with rubber tread are important for winter. As are scarves.

Comment

1) Down coat/jacket. Some will argue that a peacoat is sufficient but they are either layering more than I find comfortable or just tolerating the cold, which is not necessary.
                2) Long underwear/flannel-lined pants
                3) scarf, gloves, hat
                4) Good boots, with rubber soles
                5) good wool scocks
                6) plenty of sweaters and cardigans. Again, go with wool. It can get quite hot indoors.

If winter doesn't last all spring, then the spring is amazing as is the early part of summer. But yes, the summers are hot and humid as anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by shad0w4life View Post
                  Wear a Vancouver Canucks jersey and open carry an assault rifle, it's your right!(I have no idea if there's any other law preventing this in Illinois, I just see all the nutjobs on youtube doing this to piss off cops)
                  Chicago has some of the most restrictive gun bans in the entire country. I would advise not to do that unless you enjoy felony charges.

Comment

Working...
                  X