Feelings on bow ties for casual wear.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Duvel View Post
    They're definitely attention-getters. But I hate them myself.

Just playin! Im obviously a big fan of bow ties but am first to admit they arent for everybody and every setting. I rock them once a week or two in the office which is a business casual setting. Don't typically wear them to clients unless I have an established relationship at that client and I feel like it would fit in without being something someone would see as out of place.

As has already been stated. DO NOT go untucked and DO NOT buy pretied.
    My cocktail videos >

Comment

Originally posted by Fred G. Unn View Post
      Really? I usually associate bow ties with a Trad/Ivy kind of look which almost always has a button down collar. Except for formal bow ties, which of course would never go with a button down, I'm sort of used to seeing them with button down collars. I just scrolled through the Drake's tumblr and in the first 5 pages they show 2 bow ties, both with button downs, although the second one is a sprezzed out unbuttoned look. I suppose they work either way but I was surprised that y'all said don't wear them with a button down. I don't wear them though so maybe I'm off base here.

Not sure if you looked at the pic I posted but that looks horrid, my eyes are drawn away from the bow to the buttons, if it's a button down I'd make sure to hide the buttons. I also think of a bow tie as a bit more dressy so I'd only wear it with a suit etc.
      I'm very anti button down collar with suit look though and lean more towards a very professional look

IF someone was going to go trendy route than a button down collar in a pattern would be find I'd think, definitely not the picture I posted though.

So I will revamp my opinion.
      Patten shirt button down collars are acceptable

Comment

Originally posted by shad0w4life View Post
        I also think of a bow tie as a bit more dressy so I'd only wear it with a suit etc.
        I'm gonna disagree with you here. I think of bow ties as a Trad/Ivy thing worn with OCBD, tweed blazer, etc., or in summer with a cotton or seersucker suit, both of which are more casual than a worsted wool suit. I don't wear bow ties without a dinner jacket on so these are just my impressions, not how I do it.

Originally posted by shad0w4life View Post
        I'm very anti button down collar with suit look though and lean more towards a very professional look
        Agree with you on this one. I know from Vox's site that historically it was more common, but I hate button downs with a suit too. In fact, I really don't wear button downs much at all personally. Out of close to 50 shirts I have 3 button downs I think.

Comment

I have established no untucked shirts with ties and pre-tied bow ties were horrible pre post.

Seeing my buddies made me second think getting one. I need to post some pictures sometime it's horrible.

I almost felt the bow tie was like the ironic whimsical mustache which I can't stand. I don't like "look at me" attention makes me sick.

Comment

I think bowties can look pretty cool in a casual, trad prep outfit. Like with odd tweed vests or crew neck sweaters. I know TSBmen is pretty universally hated around these parts, but I actually think this is a pretty good look (except for the sock-less thing which I can't get behind).

Originally posted by Brent k View Post
            I don't like "look at me" attention makes me sick.
            This is ultimately why I can't wear a bowtie though... it's a bit too "look at me!" for my tastes. That being said, I wear loud ass patterned sport coats all the time so I'm pretty much a hypocrite

Comment

Originally posted by Fred G. Unn View Post
              I'm gonna disagree with you here. I think of bow ties as a Trad/Ivy thing worn with OCBD, tweed blazer, etc., or in summer with a cotton or seersucker suit, both of which are more casual than a worsted wool suit. I don't wear bow ties without a dinner jacket on so these are just my impressions, not how I do it..
              I agree with Fred on this. I think a bowtie with a buttondown looks fine, but should be worn in a more prep/casual fashion - i.e with a blazer, or maybe a sweater. Aside from that, I only wear a black one with a tux. I don't think I'd try to pull one off with a suit (and would never attempt with an untucked shirt - why would you ever wear any tie with an untucked shirt? If its untucked, the top button, or two, should be undone!).

Comment

I think this looks better put together.

Comment

Working...
                X