Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yoyorobbo
    replied
    marjen, the slippery leather soles will cease (or at least lessen) their slipping once you scuff them up on some cement, etc. I believe there's also some old military trick to slice them with a razor blade or knife, in a cross hatching manner, but I've never tried that. Once you wear them outside a few times you will roughen-up the smooth bottoms (WODER!), and won't be gliding all around too much any more.

EDIT: That said, since you mentioned bad weather worries, you will do very well to find a pair of shoes (or better yet, *boots*) with a lug sole of some other chunkier (vibram, etc) sole. Much nicer on ice, and for trouncing through the snow.
    Last edited by yoyorobbo; December 20, 2013, 11:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• frankinaug
    replied
    Originally posted by marjen View Post
    So I started shopping today. Found some pants at Kohls, that were comfortable. They were slims, fit well, so I got 3 pair, were only like $30 on sale. Probably not best quality but will get me going for now. Got charcoal, navy, grey and a different navy(different style pant). So that gives me 5-6 pairs of pants for now.

I picked up an ll bean pee coat on sale. So that covers my coat needs. Now I need shirts, ties and shoes. Tried on some Mercanti Fiorentini Windtip Oxfords at DSW. THey looked great, but were not really all that comfortable and the bottoms are like the slipperiest things I have ever seen, is this normal? Like I could have skated around the store on the carpet they were THAT slippery. I worry about the bad weather.

SO shirts are going to be hardest, because of sizing etc. I want to order over internet, but if I order 4 and they dont fit will be a pain to exchange.
    The slippery sole thing on the shoes IS normal. They are slippery because of the leather soles. The advantage to this is that in theory they can resoled and a leather sole is considered dressier than a rubber soled shoe. QUALITY socks make a big difference in how shoes feel too.

For ties go with http://www.thetiebar.com/ ($15 for a decent tie is a good deal)

A couple of helpful threads from the archives;

Skimp or Spend http://dappered.com/2013/10/skimp-or...or-mens-style/

Best looking affordable black shoes http://dappered.com/2013/10/the-best...k-dress-shoes/

$1500 wardrobe thread http://dappered.com/2013/11/the-1500...rnatives-2013/

Leave a comment:

• marjen
    replied
    So I started shopping today. Found some pants at Kohls, that were comfortable. They were slims, fit well, so I got 3 pair, were only like $30 on sale. Probably not best quality but will get me going for now. Got charcoal, navy, grey and a different navy(different style pant). So that gives me 5-6 pairs of pants for now.

I picked up an ll bean pee coat on sale. So that covers my coat needs. Now I need shirts, ties and shoes. Tried on some Mercanti Fiorentini Windtip Oxfords at DSW. THey looked great, but were not really all that comfortable and the bottoms are like the slipperiest things I have ever seen, is this normal? Like I could have skated around the store on the carpet they were THAT slippery. I worry about the bad weather.

SO shirts are going to be hardest, because of sizing etc. I want to order over internet, but if I order 4 and they dont fit will be a pain to exchange.

Leave a comment:

• drocpsu
    replied
    As an FYI - Charles Tyrwhitt is having a warehouse moving sale right now, with shirts starting at $39. Might be a good time to pick up a few, if you are in need of some. They are pretty decent quality and that price isn't too bad.

Leave a comment:

• jackbauer24
    replied
    No i did not make the guide, found it over in reddit. Found other one here:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/antwaunsarge...-in-one-infogr
    Originally posted by P J View Post
    You should be able to do pretty well at Macy's, they have some pretty good quality suiting at a reasonable price. I don't know much about suiting at Kohl's, but it doesn't get much play on here. If you have a J Crew Factory near you, however, I would definitely give that a look. Banana Republic, as bruschetta mentioned, is also a good one, and they're everywhere. For other dept stores, you can do pretty well at Dillard's during a sale (or if you have a Dillard's clearance center near you, you can get Hart Shaffner & Marx suits (pretty good quality USA-made) for a little over $200). JC Penney also has a couple serviceable options in the under $200 range (Claiborne wool). You might not be getting the best construction, but you can certainly get decent material 100% wool in that price range, so I wouldn't settle for anything polyester or even wool blend.

There are a lot of good options for shirts. TM Lewin and Charles Tyrwhitt, as mentioned are both great. Uniqlo and H&M, also mentioned, are even cheaper. I've gotten some that I like at JCPenney and they are extremely cheap. I also can't say enough about Goodwill for dress shirts. Probably half my shirts are from Goodwill. There are always dozens of Banana Republic, Gap, and J Crew shirts when I go, and occasionally some Brooks Brother, Zegna, or better.

jackbauer: those imgur links are fantastic. They should be stickied. You didn't make that beginner's guide, did you? That should be given out to every man in high school health class.

Leave a comment:

• P J
    replied
    Originally posted by marathon View Post
    Probably 80% of shirt colors are obnoxious and 80% of those colors are sadly in my closet. (I'm working on it!)
    Hah! That's great. I've got way too many "other" colors in my closet, though I still wear them pretty regularly. So at least you are a repentant sinner.

Leave a comment:

• LesserBlackDog
    replied
    I figure I'll be happy if they are three quarters as good as my Brooks Brothers shirts that cost twice as much.

Leave a comment:

• zcm
    replied
    They had a web buster the Saturday between black Friday and cyber Monday. Some of their shirts were 15 bucks. Unfortunately the sale was on at 5 am and I decided to have a few drinks the night before and missed it. Still haven't tried them out yet but I am very interested considering the price.

Leave a comment:

• LesserBlackDog
    replied
    I ordered a couple pairs of LE's "slim fit" dress shirts. Should get them on Monday. I'll try to remember to report on whether they are any good. For $32 a pop (with a discount code) they seemed like a pretty good deal.

Leave a comment:

• shad0w4life
    replied
    If you're a decently built guy: at 5'10 195 if you don't have a belly, I'd recommend avoiding TM lewin's really slim fit shirts, I have them and my forearms look like they are in sausage casings. Charles Tyrwhitt I find has nicer fabrics as well.

Pants and shirts etc you COULD order from lands end on a sale, they will be the cheapest. They also offer a slim fit dress shirt now as well, I find their supima polos to be very nice material.

Leave a comment:

• marathon
    replied
    As mentioned, fit is most important. Take your time. I have a co-worker who wears all the "required" items for the dress code, but they're probably two or three sizes too large. Or four. Fit is a big deal. Jack's links above regarding fit are excellent -- print one out and take it with you when you shop. Use it as a checklist!

It's OK to buy inexpensive items at first. When you figure out what you like and what looks good, you can replace the items in a year or two with quality items. If you already know what you like, buy quality today. Florsheim shoes are great starter shoes at around $80 a pair, or hit up DSW. Again, refer to Jack's awesome link on fit for shoes to help you in your search. Brown will be more flexible than black, especially if you bought grey or navy pants.

Stay with muted or traditional colors. I assumed variety in my outfit was supposed to come from colorful shirts. Not neon mind you, but even so it was a bad idea. Keep your shirts in muted/traditional colors and they'll be a flexible base for ties and will be compatible with more outfits. Probably 80% of shirt colors are obnoxious and 80% of those colors are sadly in my closet. (I'm working on it!)

Do not by any means buy a polyester suit. I bought one six months ago and I'm replacing it right now with wool suits. They (polyester suits) are hot and uncomfortable, and cost just as much to tailor as a wool suit that's worth keeping.

It sounds like your environment, being IT but professional, wouldn't typically require a suit five days a week, depending on your role. I'd imagine you can stick with some flat front straight/slim pants, even Dockers D2 would be fine (to give a widely available example). Grey and navy are great colors to start. I don't even wear my black pants.

Tie width should be proportional to your width. I'm a skinny guy with a closet full of 3.5" or worse ties. Don't make my mistake!

Leave a comment:

• P J
    replied
    I am not even sure what size suit I am. So I guess I need to start by getting measured. I am 5'10" about 195, I have wide shoulders, which makes fit a little difficult. I am still in decent shape for an old guy, I run all the time and I need things a little bigger in chest, back, shoulders, thighs but that makes everything look baggy I feel.

So I would probably rather start with new for now with the first suit or two. Is it better to hit Macys or Kohls as opposed to JAB? Shirts I will probably order over the internet if I can get the best deals there.
    You should be able to do pretty well at Macy's, they have some pretty good quality suiting at a reasonable price. I don't know much about suiting at Kohl's, but it doesn't get much play on here. If you have a J Crew Factory near you, however, I would definitely give that a look. Banana Republic, as bruschetta mentioned, is also a good one, and they're everywhere. For other dept stores, you can do pretty well at Dillard's during a sale (or if you have a Dillard's clearance center near you, you can get Hart Shaffner & Marx suits (pretty good quality USA-made) for a little over $200). JC Penney also has a couple serviceable options in the under $200 range (Claiborne wool). You might not be getting the best construction, but you can certainly get decent material 100% wool in that price range, so I wouldn't settle for anything polyester or even wool blend.

There are a lot of good options for shirts. TM Lewin and Charles Tyrwhitt, as mentioned are both great. Uniqlo and H&M, also mentioned, are even cheaper. I've gotten some that I like at JCPenney and they are extremely cheap. I also can't say enough about Goodwill for dress shirts. Probably half my shirts are from Goodwill. There are always dozens of Banana Republic, Gap, and J Crew shirts when I go, and occasionally some Brooks Brother, Zegna, or better.

jackbauer: those imgur links are fantastic. They should be stickied. You didn't make that beginner's guide, did you? That should be given out to every man in high school health class.

Leave a comment:

• marjen
    replied
    I am not even sure what size suit I am. So I guess I need to start by getting measured. I am 5'10" about 195, I have wide shoulders, which makes fit a little difficult. I am still in decent shape for an old guy, I run all the time and I need things a little bigger in chest, back, shoulders, thighs but that makes everything look baggy I feel.

So I would probably rather start with new for now with the first suit or two. Is it better to hit Macys or Kohls as opposed to JAB? Shirts I will probably order over the internet if I can get the best deals there.

Leave a comment:

• AFCForever
    replied
    Hello All,

SO where do I even begin? I have hit the net looking for answers (thats how I ended up here). I have learned a few things, I think. I ordered 2 belts from naragansett belts. I have found The Tie Bar and Chipp Neckwear and will probably purchase from there.

What to do for shoes? Suits?? Dress Pants? Any HELP would be fantastic!
    The suits and shoes will be the main expense and to save some money I would get some used items from Ebay to get you going. If you are a common size it is pretty easy to start there. It will also give you a feel for what you like and what you don't so when you drop more serious money you will not be wasting it.

Having said that you can likely get away with some cheaper shoes initially, especially if you only wear them indoors to keep them alive longer.

As far as shirts go I can't say enough good things about my T.M. Lewin shirts. As they are the best price when you multi buy they are a great choice to get you going.

Leave a comment:

• Emperor
    replied
    You can find some good options on ebay and can also go for companies like Natty or CT for shirts, Itailor for shoes and many more discussed on this forum as well.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X