Sunglasses for a slimmer face?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sunglasses for a slimmer face?

I am finding it very difficult to find a good looking pair that are not giant on my face. Does anyone have any recommendations?

RayBan New Wayfarer in 52mm (small)

the mediums are 50mm, but it's lens size, and the frame width is different, so the 52mm are actually smaller than the 50mm

also the NEW wayfarer is not as tall as the old (classic) wayfarer, better fit for a small face. I have a pair of 50mm (mediums) and love em. Can be found for around $75 if you look around online

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion Ben.....Any thoughts on something more classic? I still don't understand why glasses they used to give away to us as kids back in the 90s are popular, they are ridiculous looking. But I'm sure they look great on you!

Comment

More classic than the Wayfarer!? The Wayfarer has been around since the '50s.

Ben

Comment

these?! http://www.agi-08.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/RayBanWayfarer1.jpg

Are plastic children's glasses at best. They used to throw them at us with candy during labor day parades when i was 5.

Comment

Check out American Optics aviators. I've been using them as my daily shades since the summer and love them! They're more square than 'typical' aviators which sets them apart from the crowd, the bayonet temples are extremely comfortable, and they're also offered in different sizes. I got the 52 frames in gold with gray lenses. I also tried the 55's, but preferred the smaller size on my face. Seeing as these sunglasses are used by the military, they're good enough for me. Oh, and the best part is they're less than $50!

Comment

I'm shaking my head right now. The glasses that got thrown at you when you were five might have been these: http://www.motivators.com/images/products/Promotional-Plastic-Kids-Sunglasses2.jpg

They were CERTAINLY not these: http://marshallmatlock.com/wp-content/gallery/the-mans-man-xii-jfk/john%20f%20kennedy,%20jfk,%20ray%20ban%20wayfarer, %20suit.jpg

Letting flimsy $2 knock-offs convince you that a classic sunglasses design is a children's toy is like letting $20 pleather oxfords convince you that Allen Edmonds are junky shoes.

Ben

Comment

AO seconded. Cheapest place I've seen them is at opticsplanet.com

Comment

agreed with BenR. That assumption is ridiculous. They definitely did not throw wayfarers at you. Hard to get more classic than tortoise wayfarers. Bob Dylan, JFK and The Blues Brothers would all agree with me among others, and while there are many wayfarer-type sunglasses out there from $0.99 versions to hundreds of dollars, the ones they threw at you are certainly not what you should base your opinion off of.

Also, the NEW wayfarers are not as boxy or tall as the originals, and look better IMO. However, if you still think they are plastic childrens glasses at best, perhaps your tastes are more expensive than mine. Persol makes some nice classic plastic childrens glasses http://www.persol.com/usa/collections/intro/sun

For aviator types AO mentioned above Original pilot or Randolph Engineering aviators are a good pricepoint, Maui Jim makes good glasses but not many good looking ones, and RayBan is a world leader in classic sunglasses. (Aviators, Caravans, Clubmasters, Wayfarers, New Wayfarers, whatever floats your boat)

Comment

obviously they did not give us real glasses, but the styling is the same is what i was getting at. And they do not look good. They look gimmicky and fake personally I find them ugly.

Comment

I think you are part of a relatively small minority there. Wayfarers are classics. Of course, you're entitled to think so, I'm just a little taken aback.

A small-lens aviator might treat you well, also from Ray Ban (and many other companies). I'd just walk into a sunglasses store and try a bunch on.

Comment

the styling is also the same of a VW bug and a 911 turbo, but it's the little bit of a difference that makes the difference

Comment

I came around to Wayfarers. Really can't imagine some famous faces on a sunny day without them.

Comment

I was never a fan of wayfarers until I tried on the smaller (52mm, I think?) version that fit my face much better. The "Normal" ones always seemed to look pretty goofy because I also have a pretty narrow face. I've also been eyeing the AO aviators, so good to hear some folks backing them on here.

Comment

Working...
                            X