Buying pre-owned suits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying pre-owned suits

I just responded to a craigslist-like ad for pre-owned suits and sport coats. These aren't cheapo suits either. Zenga, Canali, etc.

The problem is that the guy who owned them, while about the same height as me, has a 6 inch larger waist. I suspect that that means whole suits are pretty much out of the question.

My question is: If I can find blazers or sport coats that fit in the shoulders, the one place that is practically impossible to alter, is it going to be possible (through serious alterations) to get these to look good?

Thanks so much guys.

He has a 6" larger waist, but a similar chest size? How was he buying OTR suits?

Have you bought Italian jackets before? I've got several it jackets, if you need general sizing advice.

Comment

You can probably get the jackets taken in, but if the waist of the trousers are 6 inches bigger, that probably won't work. Taking in more than 2 inches or so won't work proportionately.

I'd say try some of his stuff on, if you can. The jackets might work if you only need to take in the middle. If you want to take in the sleeves, that can get expensive.

Comment

Working...
      X