Sub-$250 Windowpane Sportcoat Search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sub-$250 Windowpane Sportcoat Search

So I've got a SuitSupply Faro jacket coming in soon but I've been thinking that despite its soft structure and triple patch pockets, it may not be exactly what I want as yet another navy jacket (I've got a navy blazer, structured sportcoat, and casual cotton/linen one already) and I got to thinking that it would be nice to have something patterned and settled on windowpane.

I came across this, which I liked a lot: http://www.yoox.com/us/41358917EA/it...917EA&sizeId=3

At $250 w/ the current discount it's at the very very top of my range ($100 more than the Faro) I'd prefer something based in either navy or a gray of this shade (dark enough to wear with lighter gray trousers). I was originally looking for a white windowpane but I didn't come across anything I really liked for this price. The brown on this stood out to me and the base pattern seems subtle enough but I'd love to get second and third opinions. A 3-roll-2 would be great as I have nothing of this sort, and patch pockets are ideal. So clearly this checks all of my boxes, though I may prefer navy w/ white still, as it may be a bit more versatile. Anybody come across something like what I'm looking for in this price range?

Thanks!

I initially had something like this in mind:

but that's $600 from Beckett & Robb (picture from From Squalor to Baller) and I haven't found something similar. Thoughts on the relative versatility of this traditional/more typical windowpane jacket and the one from Cantarelli posted above?

Comment

I think you got the best price in consideration.

Comment

I love windowpane jackets! I'm not sure what you have nearby, but I've had really good luck finding sport coats at NM Last Call and Saks Off 5th. They both often have deals where you can get 40% off all SCs so a jacket that was originally $1200 or more will be priced at $499 and the 40% off brings it down to $299. I haven't checked them out in the last couple of months but they might be worth a look.

Not sure what your time frame is, but Howard Yount has a few. I sort of liked this one:

Out of your price range now, but he tends to mark the SCs down first to $350 and then $199 out of season so that's closer if he has your size and you can wait.
        http://www.howardyount.com/collections/jackets-suits

Comment

I really like the color and pattern of that first one on yoox. The description says 2-button, but it looks like a 3-button jacket on the picture.

It would look better if it were a 3/2 roll, but not all 3-buttons can roll to the 2nd button, and you can't force it into shape if it doesn't.

Comment

This one. Pardon my drooling.

Comment

Originally posted by LCDR View Post
              I really like the color and pattern of that first one on yoox. The description says 2-button, but it looks like a 3-button jacket on the picture.

It would look better if it were a 3/2 roll, but not all 3-buttons can roll to the 2nd button, and you can't force it into shape if it doesn't.
              Yeah, that's a problem with Yoox. They button all the 3-buttons even if they are 3 roll 2. Sometimes they are easy to spot because the lapel is laying so strange that way, but other times it's hard to know for sure.

Comment

Frank and Oak are doing a few such as https://www.frankandoak.com/product/16253#!shopid=shop and they dip under $100 if you keep an eye on flash sales (they were 35% off with the mobile app on Monday for instance)

Comment

These are both $250 over you're price range, but they're patch-pocket suits that you can split into separates without looking orphaned. S,o if you want to pay a bit more, you can have a bit of an "EFF YOU" suit and/or odd windowpane-ish pants to rock, too.

First is this awesome Suit Supply suit for $469... it's a daily struggle not for me to buy this thing, but it's not terribly practical for me:

http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suits...=22&cgid=Suits

Also, here's a dude on Styleforum wearing the suit (http://cdn.styleforum.net/b/b8/b8885...lzo1_1280.jpeg)

And like Fred suggested, Howard Yount has some dope stuff like this suit with Zegna fabric which is on sale for $499. Description says you can swap out the pants for a different size if they're available as well, which is nice:

http://www.howardyount.com/collectio...gray-and-brown

Frankly, the pictures on HY's website don't really do it justice though. This is how it looks "in the wild" on one of SF's best-dressed dudes Claghorn:

Now for something that's actually in your price range, if you don't mind a shorter jocket, LBM 1911's occasionally go for pretty cheap on yoox and they often have some great windowpane and check/plaid patterns as well:
                  http://www.yoox.com/us/men/shoponlin...5d%7d&season=X
                  Last edited by emynd; December 11, 2013, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by emynd View Post
                    Now for something that's actually in your price range, if you don't mind a shorter jocket, LBM 1911's occasionally go for pretty cheap on yoox
                    I ordered one from Yoox a year and a half ago or so. I'm not sure if it was just that model or not, but the chest was really tight. I definitely would have needed to size up. Unfortunately the sleeves would have been quite long so I just sent that one back. I'm not sure if that's a typical experience or not, and LBM 1911s stuff is really great. Over on the NMWA thread at SF, guys were discussing the sizing of this amazing LBM 1911 casetino coat. The verdict seemed to be go up 2 sizes if you plan to wear it over a jacket/heavier sweater or just 1 size if not. Their stuff is definitely cut very small.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred G. Unn View Post
                      I ordered one from Yoox a year and a half ago or so. I'm not sure if it was just that model or not, but the chest was really tight. I definitely would have needed to size up. Unfortunately the sleeves would have been quite long so I just sent that one back. I'm not sure if that's a typical experience or not, and LBM 1911s stuff is really great. Over on the NMWA thread at SF, guys were discussing the sizing of this amazing LBM 1911 casetino coat. The verdict seemed to be go up 2 sizes if you plan to wear it over a jacket/heavier sweater or just 1 size if not. Their stuff is definitely cut very small.
                      Good call. I've had to size up in the chest for LBM 1911 stuff as well. But again, beware, they're pretty short jackets, especially relative to the sleeve lengths which tend to be around 26" which, in my experience, is quite long for a R.

Comment

Fred: No rush, I totally forgot about HY's sales. I like both the jacket you suggested and the one bjmcgeever linked to. What color pants could I wear with both outside of a light gray? I guess that's always something I struggle with when contemplating a lighter jacket. Unfortunately the HY sales almost never have my jacket size left in stock (38R), unless it's bright yellow/blue linen.

LCDR: Also, I'm pretty sure the one I linked to from Cantarelli (and purchased before they sold out!) is a 3/2, Yoox really sucks with their buttoning. I compared to current and past Cantarelli collections and didn't see any 3 buttons.

emynd: I can legit see that suit coming up on the SS outlet site when it reopens. Would buy it in an instant if it shows up there.

So, I grabbed the last 38R from Yoox of the Cantarelli just to see how it looks/fits. Any opinions on that one in particular? I'd love to not want to spend $270 w/ tax on it, but if it's *the* piece I've been looking for, I'll sell off some stuff to make it work. I wish I knew if the linked Havana suit would be available/was already available on SuitSupply. It'd end up being the same price according to the outlet pricing model and I'd get some pants too!

Comment

Originally posted by LosRockets View Post
                          Fred: No rush, I totally forgot about HY's sales. I like both the jacket you suggested and the one bjmcgeever linked to. What color pants could I wear with both outside of a light gray? I guess that's always something I struggle with when contemplating a lighter jacket. Unfortunately the HY sales almost never have my jacket size left in stock (38R), unless it's bright yellow/blue linen.

LCDR: Also, I'm pretty sure the one I linked to from Cantarelli (and purchased before they sold out!) is a 3/2, Yoox really sucks with their buttoning. I compared to current and past Cantarelli collections and didn't see any 3 buttons.

emynd: I can legit see that suit coming up on the SS outlet site when it reopens. Would buy it in an instant if it shows up there.

So, I grabbed the last 38R from Yoox of the Cantarelli just to see how it looks/fits. Any opinions on that one in particular? I'd love to not want to spend $270 w/ tax on it, but if it's *the* piece I've been looking for, I'll sell off some stuff to make it work. I wish I knew if the linked Havana suit would be available/was already available on SuitSupply. It'd end up being the same price according to the outlet pricing model and I'd get some pants too!
                          Crap! I may have missed the boat if you already grabbed the 38R from Yoox but this 40 might be worth taking a chance on at ~ $312 after the 15% off.

http://www.yoox.com/us/41393528ST/it...3528ST&sizeId=

Comment

Sheesh, it's infuriating that yoox doesn't provide chest/shoulder/sleeve measurements. All of these 42s are awesome but I have no idea how they'll fit:

http://www.yoox.com/us/41377864PF/it...864PF&sizeId=5

http://www.yoox.com/us/41364766NT/it...766NT&sizeId=5

http://www.yoox.com/us/41356793AD/it...793AD&sizeId=5

Comment

ELBOOOOOOOW PATCHES on that first one. Haha no you didn't miss the boat. Please post suggestions. The Cantarelli is almost definitely going back, I have no clue how it will fit or look on me, and I'm hoping to find something more affordable on Ebay/Yoox in the month I have to return it (Yoox is allowing returns through Jan 10 for purchases made during the holiday season). Worth eating a small return fee to try it in person though.

That Michaelangelo one is really something nice, but the lack of measurements is definitely not fun to work with. A cursory search shows that the brand is an Isaia diffusion line? Don't know how good it really is though.

Comment

Working...
                              X