Chippewa Boots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chippewa Boots?

I think I might have finally done in my 12 year old English Docs (OK, not fatal, but it is time to get a new pair of boots). Anybody have any experience with these:

http://www.zappos.com/viewProduct.do?productId=7664807&colorId=6

They popped up as a rec on the iron ranger page, and at half the price, there is some appeal there (I was leaning towards, but not sold on the Iron Rangers)

I think Joe did an article or there was one on the Primer that raved about them. They are made in the USA and have a cult following with them.

I wouldve bought a pair but i splurged and went with the Iron rangers. I am loving them so far and got 30% through neiman marcus. I paid $230 total and would do so again!

Comment

Thanks. I am actually leaning chippewa because it looks like they would give better traction in the winter.

Comment

While I have had some raving reviews of Chippewas, those boots do not appear to be Goodyear welted, while the Iron Rangers are, meaning that their lifespan will be much longer because of the ability to resole them as-needed. If you're looking for a more affordable alternative to Red Wings, then the Chippewa would do the trick, just bear in mind that the lifespan likely won't be the same. That being said, part of me prefers the shape of the Chippewa--I've never seen the Iron Rangers in person, but their side profile seems kind of clownish.

Comment

The iron rangers actually look fantastic in person IMO. Probably my favorite shoe. Nice boot shape without being overly clunky or tapered. They are also borderline indestructible. Well not quite, but the leather is so pliable and nice that even nicks and scratches are pretty easy to buff out. Almost 3 years later mine look better than the day I got them.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

While I have had some raving reviews of Chippewas, those boots do not appear to be Goodyear welted, while the Iron Rangers are, meaning that their lifespan will be much longer because of the ability to resole them as-needed. If you're looking for a more affordable alternative to Red Wings, then the Chippewa would do the trick, just bear in mind that the lifespan likely won't be the same. That being said, part of me prefers the shape of the Chippewa--I've never seen the Iron Rangers in person, but their side profile seems kind of clownish.

Comment

Cool, thanks for the input. Based on the last resoling I had, I'm not sure that I would bother with shoes that aren't pretty expensive (I will have my AEs recrafted when their time comes). I think I spent about 80 bucks to resole my Docs.

Comment

Actually I'm pretty sure that these particular Chippewas ARE fully welted. At least, it's said so in several of the descriptions I've read. Let me know what you think of them if you end up getting them. I've been thinking about getting a pair myself, at some point - they definitely seem like the best deal on American-made boots.

Ben

Comment

Most Chippewas I've encountered are goodyear welted. They are a great brand with great quality stuff, especially for the price. I will someday own a pair of Engineer Boots from the same brand.

Comment

I tellin y'all. Clark's malis are what the cool kids are wearing.

Comment

Well, this uncool kid likes made-in-the-US, Vibram soles, and Goodyear welting. :-)

Though the real question is, what do you do with those little flag buttons on the shoes? Leave them on? Take them off? I'd be tempted to leave one on... at least for a while.

P.S. Here's a Style Forum post that convinced me I need to try these out. http://www.styleforum.net/t/277114/c...5-classic-boot

Ben

Comment

I've had my Chips for a few days now, and they are awesome boots. Extremely comfortable right out of the box, and they haven't given me a single blister or hotspot, as new boots usually do. I'm between shoe sizes (7.5 and 8) and I followed some advice I found elsewhere to size down, which was a good decision. The fit is perfect. The construction quality seems pretty well bombproof. Attention to detail is not as polished as it probably is in the more expensive brands, but the structural integrity is all there. The leather is thick and tough but also supple and relatively pliable. It scuffs fairly easily but the scuffs are easily removed with a bit of waxing and buffing. Besides, if you're afraid of a bit of scuffing, workboots are probably not the shoes for you.

The looks are nice, too. The shape is a classic turn-of-the-century workboot shape, not too wide or too narrow. The recessed lugs give the boots a slim profile that transitions easily between relaxed casual and office appropriate.

They are quick to get into and out of, and the lugs provide enough traction to walk through slick snow without a problem, though only crampons will ever give you traction on solid ice. I spent the past couple days on my feet in my dad's woodworking shop, then took the Chips for a bit of a snowy mountain hike and they performed well. I gave them a couple coats of Obenauf's beforehand so moisture was not a problem.

If you're looking to break into the US-made boot market but don't want to plunk down $300+ for a pair of Red Wings or Wolverines, Chippewa is definitely worth looking at.

Ben

Comment

Cool. Which model are those?

Comment

Very nice. Thanks for the review, BenR. These are less than half the price of their Wolverine/Red Wing counterparts, too!

Gah. Now I want a pair!

Comment

My boots are the Chippewa Classics 6" lace-ups in Apache brown. On Zappos they are the "GQ" ones.

Ben

Comment

Working...
                              X