Need Advice for Dress Shoes - Winter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Advice for Dress Shoes - Winter

I live in Boston and this is the first winter I've had to abide by a dresscode at work. I'm expected to wear a shirt / tie / slacks each day and I was wondering if someone could suggest what sort of leather dress shoes/boots I should be looking at for my commute. I take public transport so I need to make sure the shoes I get have enough traction as to avoid a slip while walking.

My budget's about 150$.

Thanks

Personally I wear my LL Bean boots if it's wet / icy out and change into my dress shoes at work.

Comment

Jason and I seem to be the big advocates for that here. I agree completely.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

I 3rd that. especially in towns where they salt the streets (and sidewalks). Why ruin good shoes going to work. You can even keep a few pairs of work shoes AT work and then change in to them there, and change out before you leave -- that way you don't have to carry shoes everyday.

Comment

That's a cool idea... My girlfriend might give me less trouble about taking up the whole shoe rack if they were at work

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I will probably go this route. Are boots like Chippewas & Red Wing the route to go or am I better off with something like the LL Bean boots?

Also, Are Tretorn Vinter boots any good? Boston gets a lot of slush/wintry mix and these look like a decent waterproof option that'll allow me to still wear dress socks..

http://store.tretorn.com/arsta-vinter/p/47234005/

Comment

As a New Englander for 26 years, I'd say go with Sorels. Occasionally you will be going through 1-2 feet unshoveled drifts/etc, and if you don't mind the fashion hit, they are way more functional. Bean boots, while stylish, are woefully uninsulated and have IMHO poor traction due to a shallow tread and limited surface area contacting the ground (they have kind of a heel if you will). If you do go bean boots, get more than just the thinsulate model - I had the goretex thinsulate ones, and I always had to wear wool socks (guess you could keep your dress socks at work with the dress shoes though).

If this really is just for winter commuting, go Sorels. Hard to gear up for the worst case scenarios when its been a mild winter, but that's what I'd do if you're in Beantown for more than 2-3 years.

Comment

Thanks for the tip. I'll look into Sorel. IMHO, Bean boots are one of the ugliest things out there.. right up there with square toed boots.

Comment

Haha pratyk. Careful, thems fightin words on this here forum.

I'm not a big fan either but they are a classic and have a devoted following.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Bean boots are so f*ing ugly. I have no idea why they are so well loved.

Please do not buy them.

Comment

They are a trad / preppy / ivy favorite. I love mine. I thought they were ugly for a long time, then I got older and nostalgia and love of tradition kicked in.

Comment

if you want to go a little old school, then you can also purchase a pair of overshoes...

ala: http://www.amazon.com/Totes-Geometric-Rubber-Overshoe-Loafer/dp/B002NWZLSY

takes up less space than bean boots (which I love) and are cheaper....but, not going to help you if there is a foot of snow...

Comment

Working...
                        X