Would not recommend buying factory second Allen Edmonds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would not recommend buying factory second Allen Edmonds

Hey guys this post is just my opinion on getting factory seconds from the allen edmonds store. Unless you live close to one of their shoe banks, it could end up costing you quite a lot.

Although the flaws are suppose to be cosmetic, this is the condition I received one of their seconds in:

http://i43.tinypic.com/n3xenp.jpg

The staff is nice enough but when you consider that you have to pay shipping both ways, and combined with a likely hood of going through multiple 2nd pairs, it can be quite costly. After my shipping needs, it would have been to the same to buy a regular pair of allen edmonds during a nordstrom or AE store sale. Just my 2 cents on the matter for anyone thinking about buying ends. A lot of people have been very fortunate enough to get a good pair on the first try tho.

Is that inner blemish the only thing wrong with them? Doesn't seem that bad. How much discount did you get?

Comment

Is there a W stamped on the bottom of the sole? Those look like thirds (rejects) instead of seconds.

Comment

nope brushetta, no w. You could technically sell these on ebay and try to pass them off as 1st...that would be evil tho lol. Glock - it's not a blemish! There is a big chunk of the inner lining leather missing! The area around is also dried out and prone to cracking. Seconds are usually around 150-170 dollars. add on 24 dollars for shipping too and back you are looking at 174-194 for alternating one pair. Since there are occasional sales for AEs maybe twice a year for 199.99-224.00, I think it would be better to wait for those.

Like I said before tho, many people have lucked out on their first try with the seconds, just be aware of potential added costs.

Comment

My two pairs of seconds have no noticeable flaws, but like you said it varies. Even still, I'd call AE customer service and ask if that's acceptable for seconds, because I thought seconds were cosmetic issues only, no leather damage. Granted it's inside the shoe, but still worth asking them about I think.

Comment

I agree with OP.

A few years ago I bought 4 pairs of AE's from a big seconds sale.

2 were flawless - I was happy.

The other 2 were completely unwearable. On one the leather was terribly distressed on the side of the shoe. On the other, the toe was ridiculously scuffed up.

I'm not very picky about shoes since I know I'll beat on them, but those were simply unacceptable.

Comment

the best way to purchase seconds is to talk with someone who can do a visual inspection of them before they are sent...often this will eliminate the most drastic issues.

Comment

@Bookman, any recommendations how to do that?

Comment

yup....easiest way is to go through AE's shoebank. First e-mail them at [email protected] and ask them for a list of both seconds and discontinued models in your size. Then, if you are interested in a particular second, call them at 262-284-7158 and ask them to describe what is wrong with the pair of seconds.

Honestly, I am a bigger fan of buying discontinued than seconds; but, this is an option. AE customer service, in general, is the best in the business....but, trial and error is a bit of tough method in these things...

Comment

I recently bought a pair of factory seconds Bayfields. The left boot was perfect. The right boot upper was more distressed than I would've liked but it's noticeable only to me. I'm happy with them and I'm keeping them, especially since they are being discontinued.

Comment

I just spoke to customer service on 262-284-7158 and had her check out the style. She confirmed this was a good piece and she is going to ship out today. So happy to have landed on this forum and save some money. I hope they come out as good as they look in the picture. BTW restockin fee is $25

Comment

Color me confused. I came here expecting to read a seconds horror story based on the thread name but what I got instead was a story of someone placing a 2nds order.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopycow View Post
                          I just spoke to customer service on 262-284-7158 and had her check out the style. She confirmed this was a good piece and she is going to ship out today. So happy to have landed on this forum and save some money. I hope they come out as good as they look in the picture. BTW restockin fee is $25
                          nothin like bumpin a thread from seven years ago to confuse the troops.

Comment

Don't mind me. Just taking a ride down memory lane.

Comment

Originally posted by Rawfull View Post
                              Color me confused. I came here expecting to read a seconds horror story based on the thread name but what I got instead was a story of someone placing a 2nds order.
                              You start with the bump post or the OP? Getting a pair with a huge gaping missing piece of leather sounds like a horror story to me!

Comment

Working...
                              X