Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking to buy a new dress watch with blue hands, any suggestions?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Looking to buy a new dress watch with blue hands, any suggestions?

    Don't really have a dress watch and I love the look of the blue hands. I was thinking of making it an automatic as well since I don't have one (how accurate are automatics fyi?). Was looking at these:

    Sea-Gull M186-S, $112
    http://www.good-stuffs.com/Sea-Gull-...tch-_p_21.html

    Can't decide between the roman numerals and arabic numbers either. Roamn numerals look cooler but I don't like the texture in the middle. Which one looks better?

    Parnis Portuguese Chronograph, $90
    http://www.parniswatch.com/showpro.asp?articleid=1394

    Never heard of this brand before, so I'm not sure if it's any good. But I do like that the numbers are blue too.

    Any advice?

    #2
    From the main page: http://orientwatchusa.com/collection...assic/er2400cn

    http://dappered.com/2013/11/win-it-t...rient-bambino/

    Comment


      #3
      What do you think of IanC's custom watch?
      http://forums.watchuseek.com/f30/red...ck-861474.html

      It has some texture though...

      Automatics are much less accurate than quartz watches - a GOOD automatic will gain / lose less than 10 seconds per day, if you're lucky. A decent $50 Seiko quartz (or any other normal quartz watch) should gain / lose about the same time in a month. Get an auto if it seems like a really appealing idea - not because it's more practical - it's not.

      Comment


        #4

        Comment


          #5
          Unfortunately the blue hands one is sold out atm. Idk if I like the cream dial either, id probably prefer white black or grey.

          Originally posted by BigBayesian View Post
          What do you think of IanC's custom watch?
          http://forums.watchuseek.com/f30/red...ck-861474.html

          It has some texture though...

          Automatics are much less accurate than quartz watches - a GOOD automatic will gain / lose less than 10 seconds per day, if you're lucky. A decent $50 Seiko quartz (or any other normal quartz watch) should gain / lose about the same time in a month. Get an auto if it seems like a really appealing idea - not because it's more practical - it's not.
          I like it a lot...but the weird pattern around the dial kinda kills it for me...

          Originally posted by TP1 View Post
          That's gorgeous, where can I find that? I'd prefer a black band btw but that can always be changed.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Scofield View Post
            That's gorgeous, where can I find that? I'd prefer a black band btw but that can always be changed.
            I wouldn't consider that a dress watch, personally; but that's your call. Cool looking timepiece for sure.

            Comment


              #7
              I have the M186S with the roman numerals, and absolutely love it. As for accuracy, it loses ~8 seconds a day.

              Make sure to look at the size though. I have small wrists, so a 38mm watch like the M186 fits well, whereas something like that Parnis (43mm) would just look comical.

              Originally posted by JGL View Post
              That one is beautiful also. Debated too long and by the time I made up my mind it was out of stock...

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Scofield View Post
                That's gorgeous, where can I find that? I'd prefer a black band btw but that can always be changed.
                Don't know how big a dial you're looking for but if you want a similar looking watch to that Steinhart, try contacting the guy at Getat. He should be able to assemble you one with blue hands instead of the usual options. IIRC, he's a little slow on the turn around.

                http://www.siswatch727.com/index.do

                Comment


                  #9
                  You read my mind - ive looked at these 2 myself.

                  I love the hands on the seagull but the case seems kinda thick and the dial seems a bit busy

                  The Parnis is just a name many Chinese makers use - at least that one is claiming a seagull movement which is supposedly pretty good - but know its clearly copying the IWC Portuguese

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Uriul View Post
                    I have the M186S with the roman numerals, and absolutely love it. As for accuracy, it loses ~8 seconds a day.

                    Make sure to look at the size though. I have small wrists, so a 38mm watch like the M186 fits well, whereas something like that Parnis (43mm) would just look comical.
                    Can you tell us any more about it? It seems "stumpy" if that makes sense, like thicker and the crown seems disproportionately large - but maybe thats because its a smaller watch. How is it in person?

                    Comment


                      #11
                      I haven't held an M186 in my hands, but I can tell you that because quartz watches can be made much thinner than mechanical (and especially automatic) watches, any sub $500 mechanical dress watch will look thick / clunky compared to a nice slim dress watch - nature of the tech. If it doesn't in photos, it's probably because the watch is huge, so looks well-proportioned. Also, the crown on that M186 you linked is called an "onion" crown, and is meant to be big and elegantly knurled (to be easy to turn without looking like a part from a machine shop).

                      Given the range of watches you're looking at, I'd recommend taking a step back, and asking yourself a few questions. I think it'll help narrow your choices down significantly. First, size is a big issue. Very few watches have equivalent models in different sizes, and on your wrist, for a given purpose, only a small range of sizes is appropriate. Which watch / watches do you have? Anything well-known / standardized? (that'll help us evaluate the sizes you like). Want something smaller or bigger for this watch? That brings us to #2 - purpose. You said a dress watch - if you can, elaborate a little more on the kinda stuff you'd wear it with - it'll help us match formality / funkiness. Third - why automatic / how important is automatic to you? Do you mean automatic as opposed to hand-wind, or more mechanical as opposed to electric? I ask because dress watches are traditionally slim, and mechanical watches tend to be thicker, especially automatics, as I said earlier, because of their giant swingy rotor (can't put other stuff there, or the rotor crashes into it, so a whole level of watch mechanics is eaten by the rotor swinging). I also ask because, from a technical perspective, mechanicals of all types suck. I have a bunch, and I think they're great, but if there's not something about the idea of an actual clockwork, not electric watch that appeals to you, quartz watches require less maintenance (generally speaking. BTW - ALL watches need maintenance of one kind or another - there's no maintenance free watch, so there's little actual advantage to a seiko kinetic / citizen eco drive. They're cool, though), are MUCH more accurate, and are available in a wider variety of styles for cheaper. Also, because their tech is so flexible / small, they offer a wider variety of thin cases, which a lot of people want in a dress watch.

                      Lastly, we've said blue hands, you've shown silver cases, lighter dials (do you prefer white or off white), and a strong preference for no dial texture (I can tell you that having had similar watches, the texture doesn't jump out as much as you might worry - can't speak for the heterogeneous texture on that seagull, but if texture's the only thing keeping you from that IanC watch, it's probably more subtle than you'd think. If you're curious, google "IanC custom watch review", and see what people say about it - I might be wrong). Any other preferences we should be aware of?

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Scofield View Post
                        Unfortunately the blue hands one is sold out atm. Idk if I like the cream dial either, id probably prefer white black or grey.
                        The ones on the Orient site aren't the only versions they make. I believe there are actually six variants.
                        Here's the all silver with blue hands model: http://www.watches88.com/pd-orient-c...c-er2400aw.cfm
                        And this is the black dial, silver accents model: http://www.watches88.com/pd-orient-c...c-er2400ab.cfm

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by BigBayesian View Post
                          I haven't held an M186 in my hands, but I can tell you that because quartz watches can be made much thinner than mechanical (and especially automatic) watches, any sub $500 mechanical dress watch will look thick / clunky compared to a nice slim dress watch - nature of the tech. If it doesn't in photos, it's probably because the watch is huge, so looks well-proportioned. Also, the crown on that M186 you linked is called an "onion" crown, and is meant to be big and elegantly knurled (to be easy to turn without looking like a part from a machine shop).

                          Given the range of watches you're looking at, I'd recommend taking a step back, and asking yourself a few questions. I think it'll help narrow your choices down significantly. First, size is a big issue. Very few watches have equivalent models in different sizes, and on your wrist, for a given purpose, only a small range of sizes is appropriate. Which watch / watches do you have? Anything well-known / standardized? (that'll help us evaluate the sizes you like). Want something smaller or bigger for this watch? That brings us to #2 - purpose. You said a dress watch - if you can, elaborate a little more on the kinda stuff you'd wear it with - it'll help us match formality / funkiness. Third - why automatic / how important is automatic to you? Do you mean automatic as opposed to hand-wind, or more mechanical as opposed to electric? I ask because dress watches are traditionally slim, and mechanical watches tend to be thicker, especially automatics, as I said earlier, because of their giant swingy rotor (can't put other stuff there, or the rotor crashes into it, so a whole level of watch mechanics is eaten by the rotor swinging). I also ask because, from a technical perspective, mechanicals of all types suck. I have a bunch, and I think they're great, but if there's not something about the idea of an actual clockwork, not electric watch that appeals to you, quartz watches require less maintenance (generally speaking. BTW - ALL watches need maintenance of one kind or another - there's no maintenance free watch, so there's little actual advantage to a seiko kinetic / citizen eco drive. They're cool, though), are MUCH more accurate, and are available in a wider variety of styles for cheaper. Also, because their tech is so flexible / small, they offer a wider variety of thin cases, which a lot of people want in a dress watch.

                          Lastly, we've said blue hands, you've shown silver cases, lighter dials (do you prefer white or off white), and a strong preference for no dial texture (I can tell you that having had similar watches, the texture doesn't jump out as much as you might worry - can't speak for the heterogeneous texture on that seagull, but if texture's the only thing keeping you from that IanC watch, it's probably more subtle than you'd think. If you're curious, google "IanC custom watch review", and see what people say about it - I might be wrong). Any other preferences we should be aware of?
                          hmm, the youtube review i saw of the m186r made it look super slim (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5agWFHSld1w) so i hadn't even considered that. I do indeed want a slimmer dress watch. I want an automatic just because it seems cool, no particular reason outside of that. I would mostly wear it to work. I would prefer a white/grey/black dial. The only watch I have atm is the fossil decker chronograph (http://www.amazon.com/Fossil-CH2573-...er+chronograph) which has been mentioned on the site a few times. I've had mine for years and it's great, but not exactly dressy (although it can be dressed up ok).

                          Originally posted by phillipndavis View Post
                          The ones on the Orient site aren't the only versions they make. I believe there are actually six variants.
                          Here's the all silver with blue hands model: http://www.watches88.com/pd-orient-c...c-er2400aw.cfm
                          And this is the black dial, silver accents model: http://www.watches88.com/pd-orient-c...c-er2400ab.cfm
                          That first one does indeed look amazing...but I would have to swap it out for a black band. Any suggestions?

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Rossling & Co. just finished a highly successful Kickstarter campaign. One of the stretch goals was blue hands for watches with white dials and IMO they look fantastic. They are quartz, but very thin, something that most take into account when selecting a dress watch. Clean and elegant design to say the least.

                            http://www.rossling.co.uk/collection...te-blued-hands

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by displaced_spartan View Post
                              Rossling & Co. just finished a highly successful Kickstarter campaign. One of the stretch goals was blue hands for watches with white dials and IMO they look fantastic. They are quartz, but very thin, something that most take into account when selecting a dress watch. Clean and elegant design to say the least.

                              http://www.rossling.co.uk/collection...te-blued-hands
                              And at $149 for a preorder, they come in just under the mythical $150 limit for quartz watches. Ordered one yesterday myself.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X