Cruise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cruise?

I'm going cruising in the Caribbean at the end of January on a Holland America ship, and I was wondering if any of you have any experience with cruise wear. One catch: I'm covering this for magazine (I could never afford such extravagance if I was the one paying for it), so I'll need to look semi-professional.

I was on a Celebrity Cruise last year. It's an older crowd with suits and ties for the formal dinners every few days. The other sit down dinners were shirt and tie or sport coat kinds of dress. Outside of that, folks were in shorts and t-shirts. Not Affliction shirts, though. =P Maybe on a Carnival cruise!

Comment

I went on a cruise a few years back. you just need both ends of the spectrum. I spent nearly all day in boardshorts and flip flops, and most nights in a suit. It is a cruise though, so you can get away with a lot. I'd go light suit with no tie, you can probably have a few buttons undone

Comment

The girlfriend and I have been on multiple cruises. We actually have been going on an annual cruise for the past four years (we really love it), so I've got a few tips. First off, remember that no matter how you dress, somebody is dressing much worse. The majority of cruisers are either honeymooners (who are too young to really dress well), foreign tourists (who can dress really well or really tacky, sometimes during the same day) and a lot of old people (who just don't give a crap!) You could wear a gold thong, some uggs and a tank top and you will still think to yourself, "at least I don't look like THAT guy!"

As for what to wear, I go for a classy casual look. Remember that you have limited closet space (very limited if you are going with a significant other) so don't overpack. I would recommend some light khaki pants and also now is the time to see if you can rock the white pants. Get both sports sandals and some slip-on shoes (I go for slip-on Chucks but I can see how the Dappered crowd would prefer something leathery and classy) Personally, I stay away from the cheap Hawaiian shirts (I think they look tacky and age you) so what I recommend is linen. You can get classy linen shirts from just about anywhere. I stick with bright colors but I stay away from loud patterns. Don't forget the necessary stuff, like a hat (try a straw fedora or porkpie), bathing suit, shorts (not too long, not too short, please), sunglasses (wayfayers or Target knockoffs always look great)

The main thing to take into account is Formal Night. Each cruise has at least one Formal Night where you need to dress up to eat in the Main dining room. You can dress up in sportscoat and tie but if you have a tuxedo, now is your time to use it. Some of the bigger ships will even allow you to rent tuxedos from the ship. I generally would suggest it just (because how many times can you wear a tuxedo?) but, even if you do, I would recommend bringing a sportscoat just for random occasions you want to dress up for. If you don't bring any formal clothes, don't worry. You can always eat at the buffet or, possibly, an alternate restaurant that the ship might have.

So you need to figure out three looks. Classy casual for your day to day on the ship, action casual for your expeditions and adventures on the islands and a solid formal look. Don't overpack and remember not to worry. The main reason the GF and I love cruises is nothing matters. If you don't have anything to do, the ship will find you an activity. If you forgot to bring something, you don't need it or can get it replaced and you will NEVER be the worst dressed person on the cruise. Don't worry, just enjoy. cheers and bon voyage!

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. I got a J crew tux for my wedding last year, and I've been wanting to break it out again. Sounds like the cruise might be the place.

I think the cruise is going to skew a bit older, so I'll keep that in mind. Also, I'll want to look nice enough so that people I want to interview will actually want to speak with me.

Comment

Working...
          X