My new Red Wing Beckmans--now what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new Red Wing Beckmans--now what?

I have been looking for a pair of fall/winter boots for a while. I had been wanting Red Wings, but didn't want to spend the money. This week I ordered a pair of Timberland Earthkeepers from Amazon to try out, but I happened to stop by Nordstrom Rack while I was out running some errands yesterday and found these beauties. They were only $190--still not cheap, but pretty good given how long I expect these to last.

I can tell these are going to take quite a bit of work to break in. I've read through several threads, and it's unclear to me what I need to do to these right off the bat. I'd like to put some sort of leather protector on, but do I need to condition them first/in addition? Or is the conditioning only for boots that have already been worn? I don't have any Obenauf's on hand, but I do have Brooks Proofide, which I have used to great success in treating leather bike saddles--is there any reason I couldn't use the proofide on these boots?

How heavy are you going to use these? If you are trudging through puddles and snow then you will want obenaufs. If you just want more minor protection look into Schnee's boot care. Most protectant products will condition as well so I wouldn't worry about that too much. I use to be a mink oil advocate but I avoid it now. Really just wear them. They'll take a couple weeks before they feel great, but then you will love them.

Also, keep in mind that leather protectors will darken them up a couple shades.
    "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Copying (again), this time from this thread a week ago, what a local Red Wing shop owner/manager told me (so maybe take that with a grain of sea-salt, but it's what I've been following thus far with my Beckman chukkas):

Originally posted by yoyorobbo View Post
      Here's another thread you may wish to read:
      http://threads.dappered.com/showthre...-Wing-Beckmans

If not, my contribution to that one was the following:
      "I applied some of their (RW's) *Naturseal* waterproofing & conditioner on my Beckman chukkas. This was following the advice of the owner/manager of a local RW shop near my work office. He wears several RWs (duh, right), especially the heritage line like these Beckmans, and said it was the best option for them, along with some shoe cream for polish.

I have not polished mine yet (I bought them during the Summer but have only recently started wearing the heck outta them), but I did waterproof them with the Naturseal, just to feel better wearing them without worrying too much. Again, mine have limited experience, so I can't speak personally on results. Of course he could just be pimping his own products - he *is* the shop owner and all - but I'm taking him at his word. We'll see..."

Since then, I have gotten mine slightly wet (mostly from rainfall), and although they did *show* the wetness initially (darkened spots from the raindrops/splashes), they dried up with no coloration issues straight away. Also, I did not experience any wetness internally (WOW!) in those situations. I have NOT gotten them severely wet yet, though; so YMMV.
      That said, I'm not a leather guru or anything, so your Beckmans there may differ from my cigar featherstone chukkas in such a manner that you might need/want to follow a different routine. This is just what I was told by a guy who not only sells RWs (and treats other customers' RWs similarly), but also pretty exclusively wears the Heritage line on a daily basis. This is what he does. I trusted him, but only time will tell I guess.

Comment

I have real hiking boots for the rough stuff, but I do expect that they will see plenty of rain, snow, and salt around town. Are there particular retailers that usually carry Obenauf's? I'm really tempted to just try the Proofide--based on some googling, it seems like people use Obenauf's and Proofide interchangeably for bike saddle protection.

Comment

There's rain in the forecast this week and I wanted to start wearing them, so I bit the bullet and gave the Proofide a shot. They're a little bit darker, but not significantly, and they'll probably lighten up some as they dry.

I'll get some Obenauf's or Naturseal soon and put that on, but didn't want to wait for shipping, etc. I'll post pics/impressions after they dry and I buff them in the morning.

Comment

I can't say enough good things about Obenauf's. I've been extremely impressed with how well it protects leather and provides adequate conditioning. It will darken the leather quite a bit, though.

Comment

Originally posted by greg_s View Post
              How heavy are you going to use these? If you are trudging through puddles and snow then you will want obenaufs. If you just want more minor protection look into Schnee's boot care. Most protectant products will condition as well so I wouldn't worry about that too much. I use to be a mink oil advocate but I avoid it now. Really just wear them. They'll take a couple weeks before they feel great, but then you will love them.

Also, keep in mind that leather protectors will darken them up a couple shades.
              Which Schnees product?
              My cocktail videos >

Comment

Schnee's leather conditioner.
                Ben

Comment

Thanks, Ben. I always forget the damn name! It's truly an amazing product.

Comment

is it ok to use ventenian on the iron ranger and beckman? Since we don't get that much rain in southern CA.

Comment

Post proofide treatment pic below. Not a huge color difference, but they look a little bit darker and richer. Hopefully it will give me at least a little protection until I can get something more heavy duty.

Comment

Originally posted by IanD View Post
                        I have real hiking boots for the rough stuff, but I do expect that they will see plenty of rain, snow, and salt around town. Are there particular retailers that usually carry Obenauf's? I'm really tempted to just try the Proofide--based on some googling, it seems like people use Obenauf's and Proofide interchangeably for bike saddle protection.
                        Most outdoor/sporting goods stores carry Obenauf's. I got mine at an Army Surplus Store but I had options locally. Google local shops in your area and check inventory. If you can wait then utilize amazon.

Comment

Working...
                        X