No announcement yet.

Combatant Gentleman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just to chime in with my experience...I recently ordered some of their endurance/workhorse dress pants that went back in stock recently. They were 15% off if you bought three pairs or more. I had bought a suit from them in January but returned it because the jacket was a little stiff. I also found the their dress pants to have a slightly different fit than the suit pants - the waist is slightly larger than the suit pants and they seem long compared to my other pants with the same inseam. The fabric is okay and the buttons are a little cheap looking, but I'm definitely very happy for the price I paid for them. There's also a thin piece of rubber that runs along the waist that supposedly helps keep shirts tucked in. Not sure whether this works or not, but it's a nice feature nevertheless.

Comment

They have an interesting problem. They just launched a line of shoes last night, and the pre-order options are already selling out. I ordered a pair of suede double monks and the brown cap toes. I tried to order the black cap toes and my size was already sold out at 6am this morning. I just looked, and the monks and brown caps I ordered this morning are already sold out in my size. These shoes are not meant to be on par with a $400 shoe, but I don't currently wear this kind of footwear enough to fill a closet with the pricy stuff and at this price it seems worth the gamble to try them out. I'm in an industrial manufacturing facility most of the day and usually have a pair of steel toe boots on my feet. Unless my job position shifts my dress footwear is more for fun than anything else.

So far I (and my tailor) have been satified beyond my expectations with the quality of their goods. My concern is that with the extreme demand on their product they may buckle and start cutting corners. I sincerely hope that doesn't happen. It is frustrating to not be able to purchase something because they are out of stock, but I would rather they keep their quality as high as possible as opposed to sourcing cheaper materials in an effort to ship more product.

Comment

Originally posted by Shife View Post
        They have an interesting problem. They just launched a line of shoes last night, and the pre-order options are already selling out. I ordered a pair of suede double monks and the brown cap toes. I tried to order the black cap toes and my size was already sold out at 6am this morning. I just looked, and the monks and brown caps I ordered this morning are already sold out in my size. These shoes are not meant to be on par with a $400 shoe, but I don't currently wear this kind of footwear enough to fill a closet with the pricy stuff and at this price it seems worth the gamble to try them out. I'm in an industrial manufacturing facility most of the day and usually have a pair of steel toe boots on my feet. Unless my job position shifts my dress footwear is more for fun than anything else.

So far I (and my tailor) have been satified beyond my expectations with the quality of their goods. My concern is that with the extreme demand on their product they may buckle and start cutting corners. I sincerely hope that doesn't happen. It is frustrating to not be able to purchase something because they are out of stock, but I would rather they keep their quality as high as possible as opposed to sourcing cheaper materials in an effort to ship more product.
        It's a huge problem. I have been interested in trying their product several times but every time I look, they never have my size in stock. After checking back several times, I just gave up. They lost a customer before ever trying truer product because it's impossible for the to keep anything in stock.

Comment

Originally posted by bassoonguy View Post
          It's a huge problem. I have been interested in trying their product several times but every time I look, they never have my size in stock. After checking back several times, I just gave up. They lost a customer before ever trying truer product because it's impossible for the to keep anything in stock.
          Their supply chain management and inventory system has to be deplorable at best. Can't understand why they can't keep things in stock. I did have some success with one of their suits, but it has taken me forever to find other items I desire on their site. Btw, I played bassoon in wind ensemble!

Comment

To pile on to their SCM issues, they released their shoe line today. The black patent leather shoes (and the plain cap toe even) with brown welt are absolutely hideous. It's an unattractive design trying too hard to capture the aesthetic of the Trickers Black Shell PTBs with natural welt.

Comment

Originally posted by udub86 View Post
              Their supply chain management and inventory system has to be deplorable at best. Can't understand why they can't keep things in stock. I did have some success with one of their suits, but it has taken me forever to find other items I desire on their site. Btw, I played bassoon in wind ensemble!
              They are the supply chain. They are vertically integrated and own their own raw material source (for suiting at least). They are a small company with limited resources and a massive marketing campaign. What I don't get is why the massive marketing campains if you only have a handful of product to distribute? They are still young, but it does seem a bit frustrating that they have been unable to scale to demand. Perhaps there just isn't enough margin to grow as quickly as they need. To maintain quality and scale up to meet demand they would need some serious cash on hand if they want to avoid outside investment.

Comment

Originally posted by Devon View Post
                To pile on to their SCM issues, they released their shoe line today. The black patent leather shoes (and the plain cap toe even) with brown welt are absolutely hideous. It's an unattractive design trying too hard to capture the aesthetic of the Trickers Black Shell PTBs with natural welt.
                Maybe keep the price in mind. You are comparing a $65 shoe to a $500 shoe.

Comment

Maybe keep the price in mind. You are comparing a $65 shoe to a $500 shoe.
                  It's not a matter of quality/materials- the black patent leather combined with the brown sole is just ugly. You can make attractive things that are cheap (look at Banana Republic shoes, or some H&M options).

I pre-ordered the brown suede double monks... for $70 they are worth a shot IMO. The sole could be a deal breaker if it is too cheap/stiff, but the suede looks decent online. We shall see. Tossed in one of their "Summit" made in Italy ties to get free shipping.

Comment

What I don't understand is that a while back they made a big deal about their upcoming goodyear welted shoes but all of the shoes they have are clearly labeled as cemented. Now I wouldn't expect a $70 to have good enough uppers for me to want to resolve them anyway so I guess it really wouldn't help for these to be goodyear welted. They do say "full grain Spanish leather" so I'd be interested to see the quality of the leather, who knows, it may be all right. I do agree with what was said already about their styles, some of them are pretty bad, the chelsea boot and driving loafers seem to be styled pretty well though.

Comment

Their canvas weekender bag is up for pre-order, but it's not going to ship until September! Does anybody have experience with these things? The Hook+Albert one keeps popping all over my Facebook and I just can't get it out of my mind. I don't want to drop that much money, so maybe the combat gent one would be a good-value alternative.

Comment

I bought the previous iteration. I find it to he great in concept and price but badly lacking in execution. There's a weird and useless hanger bar that doesn't hold anything in place, and the zipper is all but impossible to use. It really seemed like no one tested it in the real world before shipping it out.

The new one claims to be improved but I don't see a list of changes anywhere. If they adressed those two crippling issues it could be really good.

Comment

Originally posted by MaitreTea View Post
                          Their canvas weekender bag is up for pre-order, but it's not going to ship until September! Does anybody have experience with these things? The Hook+Albert one keeps popping all over my Facebook and I just can't get it out of my mind. I don't want to drop that much money, so maybe the combat gent one would be a good-value alternative.
                          I love mine. I like the way it looks, the canvas is thick, seems durable. The leather accents are not high quality leather, I think genuine leather, not full grain leather. The zipper was really stiff when I got the bag, but after using it a couple times, it zips open and closed easily. The hanger hook thing is pretty useless, I'm trying to think of a way to mod it to make it work.

The only downside for me is that other than the interior shoe pockets, there are no other pockets or compartments. It would be nice to put some headphones or something in a zippered outside compartment for easy access, or even an inside pocket.

The other possible downside is you have to completely unpack everything to access the garment bag items. But now when I pack, I leave several clothing items on hangers and put those in the garment bag part, and put my shoes, socks, underwear, toiletries, and other items in the main part. It makes packing easier as I don't fold many things.

Comment

Hi, i am really interested in buying shirts and shoes from CG but everything seems to be out of stock for some time now.

Any idea when is it going to be solved?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Nicolas Amoretti View Post
                              Hi, i am really interested in buying shirts and shoes from CG but everything seems to be out of stock for some time now.

Any idea when is it going to be solved?

Thanks
                              You basically have to watch the site like a hawk. They usually sell out of an item within days, sometimes hours. My last shirt order, two of the three shirts were sold out before my order processed. This meant my order sat in limbo for over a week and didn't get resolved until I contacted their online chat service to find out what was up. To their credit, they did keep the 20% discount on the one shirt they had left to send me and expedited my shipping for free. The customer side of their online storefront is a disaster. It is impossible for the consumer to figure out what is going on with their order or what their billing totals are after a change. As long as the quality stays high I'll keep buying from them, but if anything isn't 100% perfect with your order or if you have to return/exchange, you can expect to spend some time sorting out the mess via their chat system. They've had three years to sort this crap out and it is getting old. They've been profitable for three years now, hire a freaking programmer to build a decent webstore.

Comment

You basically have to watch the site like a hawk. They usually sell out of an item within days, sometimes hours. My last shirt order, two of the three shirts were sold out before my order processed. This meant my order sat in limbo for over a week and didn't get resolved until I contacted their online chat service to find out what was up. To their credit, they did keep the 20% discount on the one shirt they had left to send me and expedited my shipping for free. The customer side of their online storefront is a disaster. It is impossible for the consumer to figure out what is going on with their order or what their billing totals are after a change. As long as the quality stays high I'll keep buying from them, but if anything isn't 100% perfect with your order or if you have to return/exchange, you can expect to spend some time sorting out the mess via their chat system. They've had three years to sort this crap out and it is getting old. They've been profitable for three years now, hire a freaking programmer to build a decent webstore.
                                Thanks Shife!

Comment

Working...
                                X