Combatant Gentleman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First CG Purchase: Navy Plaid DB Suit

Just got the navy plaid double-breasted suit in the mail today.

https://www.combatgent.com/suits/nav...-slim-fit-suit

Ordered it on Sunday, and it got to me on Friday in Washington, DC. Not bad at all. Packaging was superb and I was really excited to try it on. The fabric doesn't feel as good as my BB Fitzgerald, but it's on par (if not a slight step above) my J. Crew Factor Thompson. Still pretty happy for the price I paid. The bronze plaid is very, very subtle. I'm wearing the suit, and I have to stare at it just to notice it. I ordered it in 42R, and so far, so good. The sleeves probably don't really need any tailoring, and it fits good around the waist. However, I'm a little worried that the shoulders are too big. I would really appreciate it if somebody could chime in on the fit, particularly in the shoulders.

https://goo.gl/photos/6sJShKVtn93Btnj7A

I was mostly interested in getting this suit to break it apart, and wear the suit jacket with some burgundy cords or dark teal jeans, which I took a picture of. It might be too formal of a jacket to break up though, but maybe if I got some buttons that contrasted more with the fabric, it might work. I'm interested to hear what you guys think.

Comment

Anyone try their travel blazers? Slim fit...

Comment

Originally posted by MaitreTea View Post
        I'm interested to hear what you guys think.
        Sorry, but I'm not feeling any of that. A double breasted suit is hard enough to pull off. A double breasted sport coat? You need to be one dapper dandy of a dresser to make it work. This jacket doesn't really suit your body type, and it is way too formal to wear with those pants as a sports coat. Additionally, this looks like a pretty poorly done double breasted jacket. The shoulders look like they fit well to me. The problem is, they are extremely squared off and high. A look that I am not a fan of, and one that really isn't in style right now.

Originally posted by ryan_betts View Post
        Anyone try their travel blazers? Slim fit...
        Here is some info: http://threads.dappered.com/showthre...-Travel-Jacket

Honestly, I think [MENTION=11233]facelessghost[/MENTION] was being kind in his review. I purchased two of these the day before he posted it. I was actually encouraged by his review since I was looking for a slimmer fitting jacket, and I thought the button stance and arm hole height issues were the result of him being so tall (I'm the same weight and 6" shorter). When they arrived, I could not have been more disappointed. The feeling of being in a straight jacket is no exaggeration. I literally could not raise my arm high enough to shake someone's hand. The cut is completely off and hangs awkwardly. Seriously, my sister cut better patterns when she was in 7th grade home-ec. He was a fan of the fit and finish, but I was not at all. I don't think it comes anywhere close to J.Crew quality. It's more like a Merona jacket that you would buy at Target; possibly worse.

Comment

I order navy peacoat but got a black one instead. I didn't received a return shipping label like before. On a positive side I got my peacoat in a week

Comment

Originally posted by connersw View Post
            Sorry, but I'm not feeling any of that. A double breasted suit is hard enough to pull off. A double breasted sport coat? You need to be one dapper dandy of a dresser to make it work. This jacket doesn't really suit your body type, and it is way too formal to wear with those pants as a sports coat. Additionally, this looks like a pretty poorly done double breasted jacket. The shoulders look like they fit well to me. The problem is, they are extremely squared off and high. A look that I am not a fan of, and one that really isn't in style right now.

Here is some info: http://threads.dappered.com/showthre...-Travel-Jacket

Honestly, I think [MENTION=11233]facelessghost[/MENTION] was being kind in his review. I purchased two of these the day before he posted it. I was actually encouraged by his review since I was looking for a slimmer fitting jacket, and I thought the button stance and arm hole height issues were the result of him being so tall (I'm the same weight and 6" shorter). When they arrived, I could not have been more disappointed. The feeling of being in a straight jacket is no exaggeration. I literally could not raise my arm high enough to shake someone's hand. The cut is completely off and hangs awkwardly. Seriously, my sister cut better patterns when she was in 7th grade home-ec. He was a fan of the fit and finish, but I was not at all. I don't think it comes anywhere close to J.Crew quality. It's more like a Merona jacket that you would buy at Target; possibly worse.
            Every single CG jacket is very square in the shoulders--even when they say there's a "soft/natural" shoulder in the description. I'm not sure if it's an easier way to build a jacket, but I imagine it's much harder to construct a soft shoulder jacket that drapes well (it seems like premium suits/blazers are more likely to have one). Lots of shoulder padding, lots of structure.

That's why I can't wear CG suits, as hard as I try. Square, structured shoulders just don't look good on me. The canvassing, fabrics, and fit are generally fine otherwise, but the shoulders really do look ridiculous once you start to move around in them.

Comment

Did anyone else get their weekender garment bag yet? Just got mine yesterday, and have a few questions:
              1. Are we really supposed to use that weird button stud thing for a hanger? There is no physical way that could work.
              2. What's with all the strange straps on the inside? The belted one I get, but what about the clips?
              3. Am I missing something, or did they forget to put in zippered pockets, even though their description says so? Oddly enough, I emailed Customer Service about it last night, and this morning, the description was different. I'm sure there were a few of us all asking the same question.

Also, as a side note: I was promised expedited two day shipping due to the delay. It did not come in two days. It took a week from the shipping date. So that wasn't cool.

Comment

Originally posted by chiconice View Post
                I order navy peacoat but got a black one instead. I didn't received a return shipping label like before. On a positive side I got my peacoat in a week
                Did yours say Navy on the tag? If so you may have received an actual Navy jacket. When I received my peacoat is was damn near black. Wrote to Vishaal and he said that this was the final color from the supplier.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Lemus View Post
                  Did yours say Navy on the tag? If so you may have received an actual Navy jacket. When I received my peacoat is was damn near black. Wrote to Vishaal and he said that this was the final color from the supplier.
                  I didn't see any tags on the jacket that specify jacket color. The box just came with the jacket just had a newspaper no recipe or return label

Comment

So, I learned the hard way that Combatant Gentlemen have changed the sizing of their pants.

I had a couple of their slim fit suits where the pants fit perfectly at 32. So, I ordered a few more and dropped them off at the tailor -- got them back, and realized that they were all baggy in the waist and crotch.

Extremely disappointed now because now these pants fit like crap, and while it is my fault for not having tried them first, I just assumed they wouldn't mess with the sizes.

Ugh.

Comment

As a rule, I'd say always try things on before taking them to the tailor. Places don't normally announce when they adjust their sizing in a minor way.

Comment

Originally posted by chiconice View Post
                        They do returns through their website now. You have to log into your account and view your orders and setup the return there. Then you get emailed the return label.

I also bought a navy peacoat from there and returned it for the same reason. If I tried really hard in daylight I could make out the navy, plus the coat color was different from the scrunchy sleeve thing at the end of the sleeve, which was black. So it was navy, but it was definitely a very very very dark navy. So I returned it. Plus I didn't like that it did not have the interior pockets.

Comment

Originally posted by M. Montaigne View Post
                          So, I learned the hard way that Combatant Gentlemen have changed the sizing of their pants.

I had a couple of their slim fit suits where the pants fit perfectly at 32. So, I ordered a few more and dropped them off at the tailor -- got them back, and realized that they were all baggy in the waist and crotch.

Extremely disappointed now because now these pants fit like crap, and while it is my fault for not having tried them first, I just assumed they wouldn't mess with the sizes.

Ugh.
                          They actually have 2 different sizes of pants for the same waist size. If you notice, it will say either 32S or 32L, short or long. Surprisingly the longs are more slim than the shorts. I could barely move in them without fear of busting a seam. I ordered two slim suits from them at separate times, both with pants with the same waist size. The first pair fit perfectly. The second pair were very tight in the thighs. I noticed the difference between S and L on the label so I asked customer service. They told me short vs long. I was able to exchange it for the same size as my first pair. I wish they would specify this on the website. I'm sure it would prevent confusion and situations like this where people think the sizing has changed. [MENTION=10808]vishaalmelwani[/MENTION] correct me on any of this if I am wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by firemunkee View Post
                            They do returns through their website now. You have to log into your account and view your orders and setup the return there. Then you get emailed the return label.

I also bought a navy peacoat from there and returned it for the same reason. If I tried really hard in daylight I could make out the navy, plus the coat color was different from the scrunchy sleeve thing at the end of the sleeve, which was black. So it was navy, but it was definitely a very very very dark navy. So I returned it. Plus I didn't like that it did not have the interior pockets.
                            Mine for sure is black not navy.I try in sunlight and ask like 10 people there answer is always black. I like the black but I think a dark navy is more versatile . Still debating of returning it because if I do, I may missed our Houston "winter"

Comment

Well, I received the peacoat in December and was really disappointed with the quality. It felt like velvet more than wool, which was really weird...smooth rubbing it one way, very rough rubbing it the other way. I also agree with everyone else that the navy color is basically black. I had returned it but USPS lost it and now I can't get credit back from Combatant Gentleman. I emailed a numerous times and had absolutely no response despite providing them with the tracking# (which I made sure to take picture of before shipping out since there didn't seem to be any place in their website of tracking). I wished they just said something back instead of ignoring a concerned customer.

I've learned my lesson I guess? I don't know...I feel very disappointed.

Update:
                              While initial service was not on par, I just got contacted again and they will be refunding me full credit. This definitely made my day and it really makes me confident to buy from them again.
                              Last edited by tosh; January 18, 2016, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Disappointed

I just got my Summit navy Birdseye suit yesterday- supposedly the best they have to offer- and was very underwhelmed. I also have Brooks 1818 and JCrew Ludlow suits and I can say they are a large step up in quality from this. Yes, they are double and triple the price, but I don't see the Summit as any sort of great value. It's not a Ludlow or 1818 for $280. It looks and feels like a $280 suit to me and nothing more.

The fabric on the CG suit was thin to the touch compared to the others and the jacket was much lighter overall- leading me to believe the materials it's made with are just not quite up to par. There were also several noticeable stiching mistakes, loose threads, and puckering on the side of the jacket at the seam.

I will say the fit was excellent, but I don't see this suit lasting very long and it really isn't even impressive looking new. Sending it back. Oh well, worth a shot!

Comment

Working...
                                X