Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Combatant Gentleman

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Let me clarify:

    I think a lot of the stuff CG sells is a great deal. I like my $160 suit (yes, still) and even had I known it was a poly-blend at the time, I think I would have still bought it because the cut was truly slim (hard to find at that price) and it moved well. I don't think I, or anybody else, was ripped off in a financial sense.

    I wasn't ripped off, but I was lied to, and so were all of you. And I, like some of you I imagine, passed that lie on along to my friends.

    Claiming a product is made of something that it isn't is false advertising. And this isn't about some minor detail on the site...the whole "100% wool for $160" is their whole brand promise. It's their claim to fame. So if they're actually poly-blends, I'd say that's a pretty serious breach of consumer trust, not to mention illegal.

    Ever wonder why the Dappered editorial team never (and I mean never, I just checked) includes any CG products in any of their best deal roundup? They reviewed the $160 suit one time, said it was pretty good for the price, but said they were troubled by the misleading product info on the website (implying it was 100% wool when it was, by their own admission, a 60%/40% wool-poly blend. So we never hear about CG again, which is a pity because this site is focused on affordable menswear and most of CG's stuff is really affordable.My guess is that one breach of trust turned Joe and the rest of them off from ever considering them again.

    This isn't the first time CG is getting called out for shady labeling and advertising practices, not by a long shot.

    Comment


      Mikey or Robert, I've told you to feel free to e-mail me for any proof you need. We have grown a lot since that first post and this thread proves so.

      I am more than happy to provide you with anything you need. I am available to anyone 24/7 [email protected]

      Comment


        Originally posted by vishaalmelwani View Post
        Mikey or Robert, I've told you to feel free to e-mail me for any proof you need. We have grown a lot since that first post and this thread proves so.

        I am more than happy to provide you with anything you need. I am available to anyone 24/7 [email protected]
        Again, appreciated, and sincere kudos for being so personally involved on these forums. I'm asking these questions in an open forum because I believe the answers to these questions may be of interest to the community at large.

        For starters, could you address my previous question regarding the peacoats? I can't find any trace of a blended material peacoat in Google caches or in your fall 2014 product catalog.

        Comment


          I would love to see a solid medium/dark grey modern suit. I just feel like the charcoal is too dark and the grey is too light.

          Comment


            [MENTION=14809]MikeyLikey[/MENTION]: Enough. I get that you're upset, so please handle that directly with [MENTION=10808]vishaalmelwani[/MENTION]. The Threads is not a place for bashing on manufacturers, especially ones as communicative and helpful as CG.

            Comment


              If constructive criticism would be welcome, perhaps the website should have a clickable "quickspecs" for items with bullet points. I do notice the descriptive writing for the material says things like "the finest wool and synthetic fibers" which would be easy to overlook, especially if one was not accustomed to reading such things in catalogs. Specs might be good for the average new buyer since they will not have already purchased these materials and thus not know what they feel like nor what their general strengths and weaknesses are.

              I would point out that department stores don't even try, they just use code. For example, X suit "sheds wrinkles quickly."

              Comment


                Originally posted by LosRockets View Post
                Shit yo, it's past midnight in most of the country. Calm down Robert. You got a peacoat, did it keep you warm? If so, it did it's job. I understand you're upset that you feel you were deceived but I don't understand your taking this thing across multiple platforms. You paid $160 for a suit. You paid $160 for a suit. And you convinced your friends to do the same. $160. The fuck did you think it was made of? The hair of a virgin? A $160 suit is not going to have the same quality of wool as an $800 suit, so poly blend or not, you are getting what you paid for. Have you felt a JCF Thompson suit? They're 100% wool and don't feel fuzzy. Have you felt their charcoal wool-poly blend? Feels fuzzier. I have no skin in this game. I don't own any CG clothing. I've handled it. It's fine for what it is but I'm not impressed and I'd rather pay 2-3x as much for a suit that I like more. So I'm just stepping in to say, really?

                Again, you paid $100 for a peacoat and $160 for a suit. And they probably fit you better off the rack than anything you'd get from a department store because that is what CG has going for it. So why are you doing this?
                Whoa, let's take a step back for a minute. If this guy's accusations are correct (I've read the back-and-forth over at reddit, and it has me somewhat concerned) then that's a big deal. A company appears to be lying outright. That doesn't mean that their suits aren't still a decent value, or the customers weren't naive to believe they were actually getting 100% wool, but if a company lies, that is a HUGE deal regardless of anything else.

                I would like to get to the bottom of this, and I've create a separate thread over here for that purpose: http://threads.dappered.com/showthre...at-composition

                @The Mod Team, I imagine you'll be chiming in on either my thread or this comment. I do not think there's anything wrong with asking for members of this community to chime in on what appears to be an actual issue. I also do not agree with 'bashing' a retailer, but I do think this is the proper place for an bit of community-driven investigating, given the accusation, and water that it appears to hold. I see nothing wrong with asking for publicly posted proof from CG that things are as they say -- in fact, I'm a bit surprised they have jumped at that opportunity already as it would only serve to strengthen their brand.
                Last edited by diversification; November 24, 2015, 11:57 AM.
                My measurements, for context--> Body Type: Slim/Skinny |​ Weight: 175 lbs | Height: 6'1" | Neck: 16” | Chest: 40” | Waist: 33.5” | Shoulder: 18.75” | Sleeve: 35.5” | Bicep: 12.75” | Wrist: 6.75”

                Comment


                  Originally posted by diversification View Post
                  Whoa, let's take a step back for a minute. If this guy's accusations are correct (I've read the back-and-forth over at reddit, and it has me somewhat concerned) then that's a big deal. A company appears to be lying outright. That doesn't mean that their suits aren't still a decent value, or the customers weren't naive to believe they were actually getting 100% wool, but if a company lies, that is a HUGE deal regardless of anything else.

                  I would like to get to the bottom of this, and I've create a separate thread over here for that purpose: http://threads.dappered.com/showthre...at-composition

                  @The Mod Team, I imagine you'll be chiming in on either my thread or this comment. I do not think there's anything wrong with asking for members of this community to chime in on what appears to be an actual issue. I also do not agree with 'bashing' a retailer, but I do think this is the proper place for an bit of community-driven investigating, given the accusation, and water that it appears to hold. I see nothing wrong with asking for publicly posted proof from CG that things are as they say -- in fact, I'm a bit surprised they have jumped at that opportunity already as it would only serve to strengthen their brand.
                  Again, what are you guys trying to accomplish? That is a literal question.
                  My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSs1xkOEoJdPfZ4KRW575qA

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by thecharlesg View Post
                    Again, what are you guys trying to accomplish? That is a literal question.
                    Are you serious? We're very clearly attempting to figure out whether or not Combatant Gentlemen has lied about the composition of their suits and coats. If you're wondering "why" not "what" then the answer to that is because I don't really care to own suits that have synthetics in them (please ask me why - there are plenty of guides outlining why) and I also do not want to do business with a company that lies to me in this manner (I just ordered from them before I saw all of this, actually.)
                    My measurements, for context--> Body Type: Slim/Skinny |​ Weight: 175 lbs | Height: 6'1" | Neck: 16” | Chest: 40” | Waist: 33.5” | Shoulder: 18.75” | Sleeve: 35.5” | Bicep: 12.75” | Wrist: 6.75”

                    Comment


                      [MENTION=3269]Shomas[/MENTION] i think they have said how they feel. Is there any way to shut this tirade down?

                      EDIT: There are currently two threads running on the same issue. Both need ended in my opinion.
                      My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSs1xkOEoJdPfZ4KRW575qA

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by thecharlesg View Post
                        @Shomas i think they have said how they feel. Is there any way to shut this tirade down?

                        EDIT: There are currently two threads running on the same issue. Both need ended in my opinion.
                        You're suggesting censoring what seems to be a justified conversation. Thus far you've shown absolutely no reason why this should be shut down besides [essentially] suggesting that they're still a good value even if they do happen to be lying. We've literally given Combatant Gentlemen the opportunity to step up and strengthen their brand by proving unequivocally that they're selling the product that they claim to be. Still, if @Shomas or other mods want to shut this down here, that's certainly their prerogative, albeit heavy-handed censorship, outright.

                        I do agree that we should confine this discussion to a single thread, so perhaps we should use the one I created specifically for the purposes of this particular discussion topic.
                        My measurements, for context--> Body Type: Slim/Skinny |​ Weight: 175 lbs | Height: 6'1" | Neck: 16” | Chest: 40” | Waist: 33.5” | Shoulder: 18.75” | Sleeve: 35.5” | Bicep: 12.75” | Wrist: 6.75”

                        Comment


                          [MENTION=14255]thecharlesg[/MENTION] -- why specifically do you think both of these threads should be shut down? If you go back in the history of this thread (early pages, way back when) you'll see that other community members have raised some of these concerns before, yet nobody told them to stop with their criticisms. What's different now?

                          You asked what we want -- to discover the truth about the products of a company we've given our money to, and in my case, have recommended to our friends and family. Nothing more.

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by MikeyLikey View Post
                            [MENTION=14255]thecharlesg[/MENTION] -- why specifically do you think both of these threads should be shut down? If you go back in the history of this thread (early pages, way back when) you'll see that other community members have raised some of these concerns before, yet nobody told them to stop with their criticisms. What's different now?

                            You asked what we want -- to discover the truth about the products of a company we've given our money to, and in my case, have recommended to our friends and family. Nothing more.
                            You guys haven't added anything new to the conversation. Same old stuff. Post after post.
                            My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSs1xkOEoJdPfZ4KRW575qA

                            Comment


                              So far, everyone seems to be reasonably well behaved - no ad hominems or verbal brickbats, etc., so I'm not inclined to do anything to shut it down. However, beating on a dead horse is a little boring, so I would advise taking the answer to your question (or lack of, depending on your take on how this is going) and moving on/acting accordingly. Also, since this is a fairly general thread, any super specific investigating or detailed lengthy discussions about the particular peacoat are probably best confined to the other thread.

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by thecharlesg View Post
                                You guys haven't added anything new to the conversation. Same old stuff. Post after post.
                                I opened that thread because I hadn't yet found the conversation going on in this one. After I did find it, I still don't regret starting that other thread because the tone in this one is increasingly hostile from both sides, and the other thread is a "hey, let's discuss this and get to the bottom of it" instead of an outright condemnation. Additionally, if it sounds like I'm repeating myself, that's because you're refusing to acknowledge that anything we're saying has any merit whatesoever, and you keep suggesting that we have no right to discuss this at all, so I am having to defend and repeat what *should* be a very simple idea to understand and agree with. I'll do it one final time though: if CG is lying to its consumers that is 100% wrong whether or not their product is still decent for the price, and given the information available, I think we need to have a bit of an inquiry to determine whether or not they are actually lying.
                                My measurements, for context--> Body Type: Slim/Skinny |​ Weight: 175 lbs | Height: 6'1" | Neck: 16” | Chest: 40” | Waist: 33.5” | Shoulder: 18.75” | Sleeve: 35.5” | Bicep: 12.75” | Wrist: 6.75”

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X