Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Combatant Gentleman

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Just got one of the gray plaid slim fit 3-piece suits back from the tailor. I love it. Got compliments all day at work. Still waiting to find jackets for the navy plaid slim fit and the gray modern.

    Comment


      Originally posted by ronrob View Post
      At the ankle the half measure is 8 inches. At one inch below the crotch the thigh half measure is 12.5. Basically a slim but not skinny. The ankle number could stand a half inch of thinning, in my opinion.

      Those numbers come from a pair of workhorse pants that arrived this evening.
      To update, the modern fit 44L/32 combo I ordered came in. It was a bust. The jacket was a size too big in the shoulders (I expected the possibility), though it fit well across the back. Was enormous on me in the chest/waist (again, expected). Bigger issue though, it's loooooongg. It's deep into the finger curl test for me, I could easily go for 2-3 inches shorter.

      Unexpected was the fit of the slacks. I sized down to a 32, as by spec they would be vanity sized to 33.5. These pants didn't get the message, they were *at least* two inches small. So NOT vanity sized anymore? I'm at a loss to explain. The 34 slim fit still fit me about an inch big, and by spec they are 34.5, soooo...yeah.

      All in all, I might be able to try a 42R, something I've never been before. I do like the lapel width being more medium, so it might be worth a shot to try a 42R/34 combo and taper the legs on the pants in the lower half.

      Anyway, measures on the 32" modern fit are 9" half ankle, 13" half thigh one inch below crotch. Other than the waist they fit me quite well, just unexpectedly super slim there.

      Comment


        [MENTION=12746]ronrob[/MENTION]
        That was my experience with the slacks.

        Comment


          Originally posted by ronrob View Post
          To update, the modern fit 44L/32 combo I ordered came in. It was a bust. The jacket was a size too big in the shoulders (I expected the possibility), though it fit well across the back. Was enormous on me in the chest/waist (again, expected). Bigger issue though, it's loooooongg. It's deep into the finger curl test for me, I could easily go for 2-3 inches shorter.

          Unexpected was the fit of the slacks. I sized down to a 32, as by spec they would be vanity sized to 33.5. These pants didn't get the message, they were *at least* two inches small. So NOT vanity sized anymore? I'm at a loss to explain. The 34 slim fit still fit me about an inch big, and by spec they are 34.5, soooo...yeah.

          All in all, I might be able to try a 42R, something I've never been before. I do like the lapel width being more medium, so it might be worth a shot to try a 42R/34 combo and taper the legs on the pants in the lower half.

          Anyway, measures on the 32" modern fit are 9" half ankle, 13" half thigh one inch below crotch. Other than the waist they fit me quite well, just unexpectedly super slim there.
          Hey [MENTION=12746]ronrob[/MENTION] thought I'd jump in here.

          Our Slim Fit and Modern Fit are two completely different fits for two different types of clients. We don't have too many customers that go between both very often. I built the modern for athletic builds that still prefer a slender tailored look. The shoulders are brought out quite a bit to help those with bigger chests/backs/shoulders relax into the socket of the sleeve. The jackets do come a tad bit longer than our slims, but its all correlated based off the chest/back/shoulders again. The width correlates to the length on the pattern. The goal with this pattern was to provide comfort without looking boxy, yet tailored.

          The pants on the modern are 100% true to fit because what we saw really early was that the drop between chest and waist size varied much more than in our slim fit customer base. Hence the reason we kept the pants as is.

          A lot of our clients who enjoy the modern fit also like the Jcrew Crosby fit. I'm in no way comparing the two, just wanted to give you some context.

          Hope that helps!

          Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

          Thanks,

          Comment


            Originally posted by vishaalmelwani View Post
            Hey [MENTION=12746]ronrob[/MENTION] thought I'd jump in here.

            Our Slim Fit and Modern Fit are two completely different fits for two different types of clients. We don't have too many customers that go between both very often. I built the modern for athletic builds that still prefer a slender tailored look. The shoulders are brought out quite a bit to help those with bigger chests/backs/shoulders relax into the socket of the sleeve. The jackets do come a tad bit longer than our slims, but its all correlated based off the chest/back/shoulders again. The width correlates to the length on the pattern. The goal with this pattern was to provide comfort without looking boxy, yet tailored.

            The pants on the modern are 100% true to fit because what we saw really early was that the drop between chest and waist size varied much more than in our slim fit customer base. Hence the reason we kept the pants as is.

            A lot of our clients who enjoy the modern fit also like the Jcrew Crosby fit. I'm in no way comparing the two, just wanted to give you some context.

            Hope that helps!

            Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

            Thanks,
            Hey Vishaal -

            Athletic fit is unfortunately one of those nebulous terms in the clothing industry. I definitely fit an "athletic" profile - big shoulders, small waist, lots of muscle mass, low body fat. In the larger sizes at least, the modern fit turns pretty big...and I get that, it has to be done to satisfy the biggest client base you can. I'm not complaining about that at all. I took the input from your sales staff and looked at the sizing charts from the reddit AMA, and together we made a guess at what might work. Jacket was probably a size too big and needed to be an R instead of an L, but I'm not shocked by that. It fit well across the back, it was nice to have that for once.

            The pants sizing being true sized to a bit small at the waist is what got me, as the sizing charts suggest otherwise. Maybe those charts are no longer up to date?

            Comment


              I just got my third Modern fit suit from Combat Gent and I also just tried a Crosby from J Crew. I would say they fit almost the same in my size (46R/40). The only size differences I found between the two are the larger lapels, wider sleeves, and the shorter sleeve lengths on the CG suits. The CG sleeve lengths are perfect on me and there is room for my "Popeye forearms" , whereas the Crosby would have to be shortened and the forearm area is too skinny on the Crosby (I have this same problem on the JCrew Thompsons also.). Pants sizing was a little different, I wear a 38 in JCrew, and my first CG suit pants are a 38, but I had to go to a 40 from CG on my recent purchases, leg profile seems to be very close between CG and JCrew. So it seems there might be a slightly different waist sizing going on, although now that I know, it doesn't bother me. As an aside, modern fit in the traveler jacket and a navy hopsack in the future?

              Comment


                Originally posted by vishaalmelwani View Post
                Yep - sampled and ready to hit the production line.

                We will be doing it in 2 colors. Midnight Blue and a black!

                October launch
                [MENTION=10808]vishaalmelwani[/MENTION]
                Do you have any pictures? I would like to have myself and my groomsmen in these for my wedding upcoming in June. We can always order early though!

                Comment


                  Originally posted by groomt View Post
                  I just got my third Modern fit suit from Combat Gent and I also just tried a Crosby from J Crew. I would say they fit almost the same in my size (46R/40). The only size differences I found between the two are the larger lapels, wider sleeves, and the shorter sleeve lengths on the CG suits. The CG sleeve lengths are perfect on me and there is room for my "Popeye forearms" , whereas the Crosby would have to be shortened and the forearm area is too skinny on the Crosby (I have this same problem on the JCrew Thompsons also.). Pants sizing was a little different, I wear a 38 in JCrew, and my first CG suit pants are a 38, but I had to go to a 40 from CG on my recent purchases, leg profile seems to be very close between CG and JCrew. So it seems there might be a slightly different waist sizing going on, although now that I know, it doesn't bother me. As an aside, modern fit in the traveler jacket and a navy hopsack in the future?
                  Modern Fit Travel Jackets/Blazers are well on their way!

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by xucardsfan08 View Post
                    [MENTION=10808]vishaalmelwani[/MENTION]
                    Do you have any pictures? I would like to have myself and my groomsmen in these for my wedding upcoming in June. We can always order early though!
                    Sure! Please forgive the imperfections on the jacket.. I cut the samples by hand and I can get careless because I tend to go for speed when sampling on the fly. I'm finalizing button stance on the 1 button as we speak... Let me know if you have any thoughts!

                    http://imgur.com/SCQErBZ

                    Thanks,

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by vishaalmelwani View Post
                      Modern Fit Travel Jackets/Blazers are well on their way!
                      Yes!

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by vishaalmelwani View Post
                        Sure! Please forgive the imperfections on the jacket.. I cut the samples by hand and I can get careless because I tend to go for speed when sampling on the fly. I'm finalizing button stance on the 1 button as we speak... Let me know if you have any thoughts!

                        http://imgur.com/SCQErBZ

                        Thanks,
                        How much padding is going to be in the shoulder? I bought and subsequently returned one of the Midnight Blue 2-button shawl tuxedos previously because the amount of padding was a bit too much. Any chance for a softer shoulder on these?

                        Comment


                          How low is the rise in the CG modern fit pants? I have Jcrew and JCF pants (Bedford) and the rise is lower than I am comfortable wearing lately.



                          Originally posted by groomt View Post
                          I just got my third Modern fit suit from Combat Gent and I also just tried a Crosby from J Crew. I would say they fit almost the same in my size (46R/40). The only size differences I found between the two are the larger lapels, wider sleeves, and the shorter sleeve lengths on the CG suits. The CG sleeve lengths are perfect on me and there is room for my "Popeye forearms" , whereas the Crosby would have to be shortened and the forearm area is too skinny on the Crosby (I have this same problem on the JCrew Thompsons also.). Pants sizing was a little different, I wear a 38 in JCrew, and my first CG suit pants are a 38, but I had to go to a 40 from CG on my recent purchases, leg profile seems to be very close between CG and JCrew. So it seems there might be a slightly different waist sizing going on, although now that I know, it doesn't bother me. As an aside, modern fit in the traveler jacket and a navy hopsack in the future?

                          Comment


                            About an inch longer than the Thompson's I have.

                            Comment


                              Any ETA on the restock of the Navy Plaid 3 piece?

                              Comment


                                I know there's been some talk about the cuts/sizing of the suits changing (?) I found this size chart on Reddit but it was posted almost a year ago. Can anyone (Vishaal? you there bro?) confirm if these are still the correct measurements for everything? specifically the slim fit jacket and pants.

                                https://www.reddit.com/r/frugalmalef...e_sell/ckfxrel

                                Also, [Insert mandatory comment about stock issues here ]

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X