No announcement yet.

Combatant Gentleman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love my navy travel jacket. Of all the things I've seen from CG, it's probably my favorite.

Comment

Originally posted by Elephant View Post
      I love my navy travel jacket. Of all the things I've seen from CG, it's probably my favorite.
      They should make a full travel suit like jcrew

Comment

Originally posted by flatbear View Post
        They should make a full travel suit like jcrew
        They used to

Comment

Just unboxed a slim fit in charcoal. The fabric is quite nice. I don’t have the eye to tell if it’s Super 140s, but it’s much nicer that you would get at Banana Republic or Zara. The jacket fits perfectly in the shoulders and chest. As others have noted, it’s not tapered and thus a bit boxy, despite being slim fit and having a narrow lapel. The jacket is a bit long. If I order again I’d consider getting a short instead of a regular.

They obviously cut corners on the buttons (ugly) and the lining. The sweat guards in the arms are symbolic at best. I found a few stray threads in the lining.

Is it worth $160? Yes. You’d pay at least $450, and probably closer to $650, in a store. No one would confuse it for a $1,200 suit, but it is value for money.

I’m anxious to get it hemmed and see how it wears.

Comment

Dear CG/Vishaal,

Please get more Tuxedos back in stock. Specifically, the slim fit shawl collar in midnight blue. Or else, I'll need to pay $$$ for SuitSupply, and I'll be sad (but looking great).

Regards,

Me

Comment

Originally posted by lax101 View Post
              Dear CG/Vishaal,

Please get more Tuxedos back in stock. Specifically, the slim fit shawl collar in midnight blue. Or else, I'll need to pay $$$ for SuitSupply, and I'll be sad (but looking great).

Regards,

Me
              Me too. Waiting on that exact tux.

Comment

Originally posted by theplayerking View Post
                Just unboxed a slim fit in charcoal. The fabric is quite nice. I don’t have the eye to tell if it’s Super 140s, but it’s much nicer that you would get at Banana Republic or Zara. The jacket fits perfectly in the shoulders and chest. As others have noted, it’s not tapered and thus a bit boxy, despite being slim fit and having a narrow lapel. The jacket is a bit long. If I order again I’d consider getting a short instead of a regular.

They obviously cut corners on the buttons (ugly) and the lining. The sweat guards in the arms are symbolic at best. I found a few stray threads in the lining.

Is it worth $160? Yes. You’d pay at least $450, and probably closer to $650, in a store. No one would confuse it for a $1,200 suit, but it is value for money.

I’m anxious to get it hemmed and see how it wears.
                As a follow-up, I got the suit back from the tailor and wore it. The fabric is very soft but quite thick. It’s even hotter given the lining. It feels like late-fall/winter suit. I wouldn’t call the three-season if you live south of Nova Scotia.

I didn’t want to spend more on tailoring than I paid for the suit so I only had the sleeves in trousers hemmed. To get a better fit the sides could be taken in a bit, the sleeves adjusted and the buttons replaced—but once you pay a New York tailor to do all that you might as well buy a low-end Suitsupply.

The suit really shines is in the trousers. They’re a fuller cut than Suitsupply (despite being marketed as slim fit) and very comfortable. It’s a good suit if you walk into the office, take off your jacket and keep it on the back of your chair the whole day. I wouldn’t wear it to a conference or to give a presentation.

In short it’s neither sharp nor fun to wear. I bought it more as an experiment as I was curious about the company. If you’re on a very tight clothing budget yet need to wear a suit to the office everyday, it’s a good option. The fabric is far better than you get at Macy’s. The trousers alone are worth the $160 retail. In the end, I can afford to spend more on a suit and don’t think I’ll be getting another.
                Last edited by theplayerking; July 28, 2015, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Hey everyone. Sorry if this was answered, but couldn't look back through 111 pages of posts. Any word on if the weekender bag will be coming back in stock at some point? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by SMS575 View Post
                    Hey everyone. Sorry if this was answered, but couldn't look back through 111 pages of posts. Any word on if the weekender bag will be coming back in stock at some point? Thanks.
                    Supposed to be coming back sometime this fall. Best jump on it when it does, I can't imagine it'll last long.

Comment

Originally posted by SMS575 View Post
                      Last I heard, CG said they were restocking them this summer. I've been waiting patiently. I need one of these

Comment

I'd love to see a navy hopsack blazer.

Comment

Originally posted by sjr View Post
                          I'd love to see a navy hopsack blazer.
                          I second this. Also the chino suits in modern fit, or at least the travel blazers. (Hint, hint)

Comment

Originally posted by groomt View Post
                            I second this. Also the chino suits in modern fit, or at least the travel blazers. (Hint, hint)
                            Hint taken

Comment

Also, anything that could be done to get more regularity in current offerings would be a huge plus. I have two partial suits from CG right now sitting in my closet where either the jacket size I needed or the jacket + vest weren't in stock but the pants were. Works fine when I don't need to wear a full suit, but I feel as though folks are lining up to give you their money but can't. Have you considered allowing pre-orders when out of stock? Might seriously help your planning when making runs of existing cuts.

Comment

Originally posted by CrimsonFed View Post
                                Also, anything that could be done to get more regularity in current offerings would be a huge plus. I have two partial suits from CG right now sitting in my closet where either the jacket size I needed or the jacket + vest weren't in stock but the pants were. Works fine when I don't need to wear a full suit, but I feel as though folks are lining up to give you their money but can't. Have you considered allowing pre-orders when out of stock? Might seriously help your planning when making runs of existing cuts.
                                Yep - we are working on a HUGE re-stock of the current line up as we speak. We have been doing small re-stocks every few weeks, but we are about to unleash a ton here in the next few weeks, so we should be good to go!

Thanks,

Comment

Working...
                                X