No announcement yet.

Combatant Gentleman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've had a very bad customer service experience with these guys that now has me worried about what I'm going to do for my wedding. I had spoken to one of their reps in February about outfitting my groomsmen in gray three-piece suits. I expressed concern about that fact that the gray vests were largely out of stock at the time. I was assured that wedding parties get first dibs on new inventory and that given the amount of time between my call (2/24) and my wedding (6/13) it wouldn't be a problem. I turned around measurements and contact info for my groomsmen inside a week (3/3). And then...

...nothing. No confirmation, no feedback. I sent a follow-up email to see if they'd gotten the info or needed anything from me. No response. Today I called to see what was up and it turned out my information had been entered but they hadn't started working on my order yet because my groomsmen hadn't called to pay yet. This is because, even though CG had their info, they had just not reached out to them about billing. For two weeks.

OK, fine.

But the bigger news is that they can no longer guarantee the vests, presumably due to the hold-up caused by two weeks of radio silence on their end, despite the fact that I'd been assured they would be available and followed their instructions on how to proceed to the letter. They just didn't set any aside for my party or reach out to me or any of the groomsmen to say that they needed payment to hold them. Really frustrating and I might have to go a different way entirely. I understand that their demand is off the charts right now (good for them) but the total lack of communication and resulting change of tune is disconcerting. I'll be following up again tomorrow and hoping they can give me some assurances on the three-piece suits but otherwise I'll have to go elsewhere.

I'm not usually the type to leave negative reviews but I know they check in here from time to time and I know they're becoming a popular option for weddings. Carrying the ball on suits for the groomsmen is a pretty big task and the communication simply needs to be tighter than this if they can be trusted for such an important function, especially when customer service and supply chain are supposed to be their forte.

Comment

I would start looking into a plan b if I were you.

Comment

[MENTION=13381]ktm7[/MENTION]: I can't be the only one that thinks this gripe is slightly overbearing. . . .

You wouldn't expect Ralph Lauren (or any other non-boutique retailer) to personally guarantee the stock of certain items for your wedding.

Comment

[MENTION=10036]Liminal[/MENTION],

It's entirely possible that my response results (at least in part) from the general stress of wedding planning. It's not like I think this is damning of CG as a seller -- obviously their product and pricing are good enough that demand is this big an issue in the first place. So, like I said, good for them. But if they're marketing themselves as a wedding provider and make a verbal representation that they'll be able to meet a need and then go completely dark on me for two weeks...I mean, what is that? I'd have to think that Men's Wearhouse (to name one much-maligned but highly-used supplier of groomsmen attire) would have communicated a good deal better than that.

Originally posted by Liminal View Post
          [MENTION=13381]ktm7[/MENTION]: I can't be the only one that thinks this gripe is slightly overbearing. . . .

You wouldn't expect Ralph Lauren (or any other non-boutique retailer) to personally guarantee the stock of certain items for your wedding.
          Last edited by ktm7; March 18, 2015, 05:37 PM.

Comment

[MENTION=13155]ryn[/MENTION],

I have a Plan B that I'm not as excited about (it's a rental so the guys don't get to keep a suit out of the deal) but seems like a low-risk proposition.

Originally posted by ryn View Post
            I would start looking into a plan b if I were you.
            Last edited by ktm7; March 18, 2015, 05:37 PM.

Comment

If they can gurantee the suits but fail to get the vests, there's always the option of odd vests for eveyone in typical wedding colors.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wedd...with+odd+vests

Lots of people do this and your groomsmen still get a 2pc suit and odd vest out of the deal.

Comment

Good news guys, it looks like the CG guys went above and beyond in terms of coming up with a solution to my aforementioned issue. [MENTION=10808]vishaalmelwani[/MENTION] was very quick and helpful in his response and I think the solution proves CG to be a brand I will try again (especially for that weekender bag).

Comment

Been perusing the thread and just registered to ask a few things, it seems Vishaal is pretty active here and is a source of great info.

Will there be more patterns/fabrics offered for the modern fit suits? I have 4 suits from CG and love them all, but like a lot of guys the slim fit is just a bit too slim for me.

How about more sportcoats, specifically in modern fit? I would love some more options! I'm sure others would as well.

Comment

Have you tried sizing up when going the slim fit route? Upon close inspection of their measurements, using the measurement guide referenced a few pages back, I have found their slim fit suits jackets to be a quarter inch smaller give or take in most dimensions when you move up a size. Example; a 40 modern fit is just a quarter inch bigger in every measurement, give or take, as a 42 slim fit. Now, this isnt taking into account the difference in shape (changes in details such as a higher armhole), but it's definitely worth trying out.

Comment

I have. That is actually how I ended up with the 40L modern vs the 42L slim.

The problem is the 44L slim is looser than the 40L modern. But the 42L slim is too tight.

Believe me when I say I have gone through it with the sizing options. As a matter of fact I have a 42L, 44L slim and 40L modern navy suit jacket, because I was so unsure of the sizing.

Comment

Originally posted by jconnway View Post
                        I have. That is actually how I ended up with the 40L modern vs the 42L slim.

The problem is the 44L slim is looser than the 40L modern. But the 42L slim is too tight.

Believe me when I say I have gone through it with the sizing options. As a matter of fact I have a 42L, 44L slim and 40L modern navy suit jacket, because I was so unsure of the sizing.
                        Too tight/loose in the shoulders or the body? If it's the body and the shoulders are fine, take the jacket to a tailor. Most off-the-rack suiting needs a little surgery anyway.

Comment

^^Shoulders. I would have no problem having the waist taken in a little, I already have to lengthen the sleeves on all my jackets so tailoring isn't a problem.

Comment

Is there anyway we can get sample suit fabric swatches before ordering the actual suit? I wouldn't mind paying either.

Comment

I'm in the middle of my second experience with Combat Gent, so I thought I'd share my experience here. In short, the suits are still very nice, especially for the price. But if you have to return it, there appear to be some serious problems with the process.

My first experience was in November. As I posted here, I was impressed with the quality of the suit (slim, basic navy), but the rise on the pants was simply too low for me. Unfortunately, after returning the suit, CG never issued a refund. After several emails to customer service, I got in touch with someone who quickly corrected the error. Even so, the experience left a bad taste in my mouth.

Fast forward a few months and I learn that the modern fit pants (which are still quite slim, much like J. Crew's Bowery Classics) match certain slim fit jackets, so I order a pair of charcoal pants and then a matching jacket. Once again, I was impressed with the quality of the suit, but ultimately I returned it, because the jacket wasn't quite right. The high button stance and the slanted pockets look a bit off on a beanpole like me.

Because of my last experience with returns, I kept my tracking number, and I was surprised when several weeks after the suit had been delivered to CG I still had not received my return. I emailed customer service, who promptly said they would issue a refund, and I thought that was that. But when I checked my credit card statement they had only refunded the pants. I've sent another email to customer service, and I have no doubt that they will quickly issue a refund. But it's been almost two months since I placed my order, and well over a month since I sent it back.

[MENTION=10808]vishaalmelwani[/MENTION], if you still follow this thread, something is broken with your return process. I understand that your return rate is quite low, and I congratulate you on that. However, I've returned items twice, and both times I've only gotten my refund after delays of more than a month and after sending multiple emails to customer service prodding them to issue the refund. That's simply unacceptable.

As for the suits themselves, if you can find a way to lower the button stance on the long sizes and offer some of the basic suits (that match modern-fit pants) without the slanted pockets, I'll probably buy five. Same probably goes if you make the modern fit in a 38L.

Comment

Nice release today. Finally, a quality suit from this company.

Comment

Working...
                                X