No announcement yet.

Combatant Gentleman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if anyone is looking to buy at a discount I have a $200 gift card I'd sell for $180 or a fair offer

Comment

also if anyone has any input on the topcoat or the peacoat I'd love to hear it

Comment

Originally posted by jayashae View Post
        also if anyone has any input on the topcoat or the peacoat I'd love to hear it
        I'm actually really interested in the same question. They sure look great in the two or three photos the website posted. However, I haven't seen or heard about anyone who actually got their hands on one. Is it cut to fit nice and trim? At $120 and non-insulated, can the topcoat really be warm "enough" for regular winter duty?

@Combatant Gentlemen ;if you could weigh in, perhaps many of us would appreciate it.

And FWIW I am trying to be realistic - thinking more undershirt, dress shirt, suit jacket, gloves and scarf plus the topcoat in temperatures no lower than the 20s. As many before me have eloquently stated (paraphrasing here): when temps are in the teens, the winds are-a-whippin', and the ground is covered in muck - all bets are off and concerns about style go out the window.
        Last edited by Embargo1063; November 25, 2014, 10:00 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Embargo1063;191621]I'm actually really interested in the same question. They sure look great in the two or three photos the website posted. However, I haven't seen or heard about anyone who actually got their hands on one. Is it cut to fit nice and trim? At $120 and non-insulated, can the topcoat really be warm "enough" for regular winter duty?

Originally posted by Combatant Gentlemen View Post
          if you could weigh in, perhaps many of us would appreciate it.

And FWIW with I am trying to be realistic - thinking more undershirt, dress shirt, suit jacket, gloves and scarf plus the topcoat in temperatures no lower than the 20s. As many before me have eloquently stated (paraphrasing here): when temps are in the teens, the winds are-a-whippin', and the ground is covered in muck - all bets are off and concerns about style go out the window.
          I think they just came out with these outerwear. I have a $200 gc that I'm either looking to spend on a topcoat or try to sell it for cash haha. maybe I should take one for the team and see how it is. I chatted Eric on customer support and he suggested I wear a small - I'm 5'10 and 160lbs. Their bigger sizes must be for giants :O He said I should be able to comfortably fit a suit jacket under the topcoat.. nervous on pulling the trigger

Comment

[QUOTE=jayashae;191624]
            Originally posted by Embargo1063 View Post
            I'm actually really interested in the same question. They sure look great in the two or three photos the website posted. However, I haven't seen or heard about anyone who actually got their hands on one. Is it cut to fit nice and trim? At $120 and non-insulated, can the topcoat really be warm "enough" for regular winter duty?

I think they just came out with these outerwear. I have a $200 gc that I'm either looking to spend on a topcoat or try to sell it for cash haha. maybe I should take one for the team and see how it is. I chatted Eric on customer support and he suggested I wear a small - I'm 5'10 and 160lbs. Their bigger sizes must be for giants :O He said I should be able to comfortably fit a suit jacket under the topcoat.. nervous on pulling the trigger
            Interesting, cause the shoulder numbers on the overcoat make me nervous that they'll be too small. I'm 6'2", ~200, thin but with big shoulders from weight work. In suits I'm around a 20" shoulder measure. Their overcoat measure in the shoulders is still under 19 in a large, and if there's one thing I've learned from CG in the short time I've been buying there it's that their sizing charts are pretty accurate.

Comment

[QUOTE=ronrob;191640]
              Originally posted by jayashae View Post

Interesting, cause the shoulder numbers on the overcoat make me nervous that they'll be too small. I'm 6'2", ~200, thin but with big shoulders from weight work. In suits I'm around a 20" shoulder measure. Their overcoat measure in the shoulders is still under 19 in a large, and if there's one thing I've learned from CG in the short time I've been buying there it's that their sizing charts are pretty accurate.
              I have similar concerns. I'm 6'0", 200 lbs with broad shoulders. If I end up looking to pull the trigger, I suspect I may need to go XL and bring the coat over to my tailor so he can nip at the sides. It's not surprising that tailoring a wool topcoat isn't cheap, though, and I fear that any benefit of scoring a $120 topcoat may be offset by a fat bill from my tailor. At that point you wonder whether looking into J Crew's ludlow becomes worth it. Hmmm. Some accurate info would really help here!

Comment

for reference I wear 38r jackets

Comment

Vishal - Is there any difference between the pants that go with the slim fit suit and the pants that go with the modern fit suit? Also, do you use the same fabric for both of the basic navy suits? In other words, could I buy the slim fit jack and the modern fit pants?

Thanks!

Comment

I'm wearing the pea coat right now. I'll give you a run down when I have more time to type.

Comment

Does anyone have the grey flannel suit yet? I'm heavily considering it. Is the jacket separable, and will the pants work as go to flannel trousers?

Comment

Originally posted by batkins9 View Post
                        I'm wearing the pea coat right now. I'll give you a run down when I have more time to type.
                        I'd really appreciate that.

Comment

Originally posted by Str8Ace View Post
                          Any idea on a timeline for restocking denim?
                          [MENTION=11688]Str8Ace[/MENTION] & [MENTION=12931]idevarona[/MENTION] -- we're going to restock our denim in all sizes and colors sometime in January '15. Our first production run was an experiment to gauge interest in an affordable raw selvedge denim line. Judging by how quickly the most popular sizes and colors sold out, it's become clear to us that denim should become a permanent fixture in our collection, so future restocking times will have a much shorter lead time.

Comment

Originally posted by Embargo1063 View Post
                            I'd really appreciate that.
                            Ok, I'm 5'10", 180 or so and the medium pea coat fits me very well. I've worn it a few times with a sweater and dress shirt layered underneath and it gives a slim look. The wool shell is nice and soft; the color is a little darker than it looks on the site (a good thing, in my opinion). It's partially lined and there are no interior pockets, just two front pockets. I can live with the lining, but the lack of pockets is a bit annoying. The only other part of the coat I dislike is the sleeves. The lining has an elastic cuff sewn in. It makes the wrist area very uncomfortable. It would have been much better to line the sleeve without that feature. I'm trying to decide if I want to take it to a tailor to have those remove and the lining sewn to the shell. Otherwise, I may grab a pair of scissors and take it out myself...

Overall, it's not a bad purchase for $100. It looks good and will keep you warm in most lower temps (in the morning it's around the low 20s).

Comment

Originally posted by Wahoo1997 View Post
                              Vishal - Is there any difference between the pants that go with the slim fit suit and the pants that go with the modern fit suit? Also, do you use the same fabric for both of the basic navy suits? In other words, could I buy the slim fit jack and the modern fit pants?

Thanks!
                              Not Vishaal, but I thought I'd chime in. The slim fit suit pants have different measurements from the modern fit suit pants, though they are both made from an identical fabric. While we don't typically recommend it, you can certainly mix and match our slim fit jackets and modern fit pants, and vice-versa.

Comment

Originally posted by Combatant Gentlemen View Post
                                [MENTION=11688]Str8Ace[/MENTION] & [MENTION=12931]idevarona[/MENTION] -- we're going to restock our denim in all sizes and colors sometime in January '15. Our first production run was an experiment to gauge interest in an affordable raw selvedge denim line. Judging by how quickly the most popular sizes and colors sold out, it's become clear to us that denim should become a permanent fixture in our collection, so future restocking times will have a much shorter lead time.
                                Pretty sweet. I'm just waiting on the BF deals before I attack, have quite a few things I'm getting from there.

Comment

Working...
                                X