Combatant Gentleman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mike dragon View Post
    There are some thin, clear plastic threads that close my front pockets and the breast pocket of my Birdseye suit. Also, the inside of my belt loops have the same or similar thin, clear plastic threads. I was putting my belt on the other day and caught this thread. It ripped a portion of it off of one belt loop, revealing the inside of the loop. Are these to be cut open/removed? Why are these included, particularly the belt loops, if they are to be removed? Common sense tells me to remove them but my lack of confidence on suit knowledge tells me to post these questions on an internet forum.
    Practically all suit pockets are sewn shut to help keep the shape of the jacket. I've not seen it on belt loops before, but the same idea holds. If you want to use the pockets, then CAREFULLY cut only the thread holding the pocket shut and remove (it should take you 1-2 minutes, or you're probably putting a hole somewhere).

Comment

Long overdue, but I wanted to give a review of the navy plaid three piece suit. Like someone already mentioend, the plaid is EXTREMELY subtle. I can only see it in daylight, and even then I have to be close and try to see it. The plaid is very difficult to see indoors without daylight, even in my bright bathroom and kitchen lighting. This suit can easily be used as a solid navy suit (as I will be doing).

For reference I am 5'10 ~168lbs regular, non-athletic build (not anymore ), size 31x32 pants. Suit size 38R and 15/32 in Jos A Bank slim fit traveler shirt (perfect fit).

The jacket was definitely the best fitting out of all the suits I've tried in various stores. The fit is very similar to Macy's BarIII slim fit suit, but even better. All other suits I've tried the sleeves were always too long. The CG suit sleeves were perfect for me! No tailoring needed there, just needs the sides brought in an inch or two and a pinch at the waist. You may not even need to take in the sides, but still need the waist pinched. The jacket length covers about 3/4 of my butt, good enough for me. The lapels are pretty slim, a bit slimmer than I would like but definitely not a deal breaker. Something I really liked is the numerous pockets on the inside of the jacket. Each breast had your standard big jacket pocket, then the left breast had two small pockets, one below the large pocket, and one near the bottom of the jacket. Plus on the outside two standard pockets, ticket pocket, pocket square pocket, that's eight pockets! I like.

The vest is nice. I like the satin back. It was a medium to dark grey and provides nice contrast against the blue (for whenever you take off the jacket). The vest was also size 38R and I thought it was a bit wide. It is adjustable so it's not a big deal. Might want to try a size down.

Initially I ordered size 32 pants thinking I would take in the waist. They were a tad large in the waist, but definitely weren't going to fall off. I would have kept them except, they were too large everytwhere else and definitely did not give the slim profile I was looking for. I ordered the size 30 waist to compare, and that actually fit perfectly and had a very nice slim profile without being skin tight! They are only a little bit tighter than my tightest 31 pants. I can sit and move around wtihout worry, but no buffet for me when I wear these pants. I like the rubber strip around in the inside of the waist that helps hold your tucked in shirt.

I've yet to wear the full ensemble, that will be this Saturday, so I may provide more feedback after that. The only nitpick thing I could find was that the sleeve buttons were a bit bunched and weren't perfectly flat. Not noticeable unless you look.

Wool. I don't know anything about this but the feel was similar to Macy's BarIII suit. Sorry I can't provide much more detail. I haven't had the luxury of trying a SS suit so I can't compare.

Overall: Love the suit! Fantastic value. No brainer for me. Wish I had to wear suits more often. Given the recent review of CG dress shirts, I may pick up a few of those.

[MENTION=10808]vishaalmelwani[/MENTION] Vishaal, thank you again for all your help with this order! You have won yourself a customer . One thing I'd like to point out is that the hanger leaves some mean wrinkles on the pants. Nothing an iron won't fix. Not sure if it was just during the shipping process or if they weren't perfectly straight when placed on the hanger. I tried to clip the pants onto the hanger and it was really difficult to get them on the hanger without the pants wrinkling/bunching somewhere (I couldn't do it). Not a big deal, but I won't be using the clip part of the hanger for the pants, just drapping the pants over the hanger.

Comment

Originally posted by DManX04 View Post
        Any idea when your black suit jackets will be restocked? Right now the pants are there, but the slim fit jacket is out of both sizes I would try, and the modern fit jacket is out of pretty much everything. I need a black suit for a wedding I'm in, and some of the groomsmen are pushing for Jos A. Bank. I'm eager to get an order in with you guys before I have to make a decision on that.
        Hey DManX04,

We just unloaded a container of fresh black suits. They should be on the site by the end of the week. Let me know if that works!

Thanks,

Comment

Hey Firemunkee,

Thanks so much for the review and the notes. Im glad everything worked out for you!

Please let em know if I can be of any further assistance.

Thanks,

Comment

Can anyone attest to how the base model wool suits wear in warmer weather? Looking at CG pretty hard for a summer wedding for myself and the groomsmen next year, but just slightly concerned that the wool + lining might make for pools of sweat on an 85 degree day.

[MENTION=10808]vishaalmelwani[/MENTION] - I know it's far out, but are you anticipating any tweaks to the base model suits before next summer that might make me wait on the purchase a bit longer?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by bryant View Post
              Can anyone attest to how the base model wool suits wear in warmer weather? Looking at CG pretty hard for a summer wedding for myself and the groomsmen next year, but just slightly concerned that the wool + lining might make for pools of sweat on an 85 degree day.

[MENTION=10808]vishaalmelwani[/MENTION] - I know it's far out, but are you anticipating any tweaks to the base model suits before next summer that might make me wait on the purchase a bit longer?

Thanks!
              Hey Bryant,

We are launching 12 new suit styles for Spring. 6 of which are light weight suiting options for our guys on the west-coast and for those on the east coast who have muggier weather.

Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by vishaalmelwani View Post
                Hey Bryant,

We are launching 12 new suit styles for Spring. 6 of which are light weight suiting options for our guys on the west-coast and for those on the east coast who have muggier weather.

Thanks,
                Sweet - thanks for sharing Vishaal! Any of those planned to include the vest? (Understandable if you can't share much at this time).

Comment

Hey DManX04,

We just unloaded a container of fresh black suits. They should be on the site by the end of the week. Let me know if that works!

Thanks,
                  Thanks for the response. Will those be 100% wool? Also, what is the current status of your canvassing? I got an email yesterday from customer services saying that all your suits are half canvassed, but I noticed that the descriptions for some suits specifically mention it, while others do not. For $160 it's not a deal breaker either way, but I'd like to know for sure what I'm getting.

Comment

Yep - 100% wool and half-canvassed

Comment

Yep - 100% wool and half-canvassed
                      So I keep doing research on you guys because of the issues everyone had with the website copy and product labeling last year and the fact that this whole notion of a 100% wool, half-canvassed suit for $160 seems absurd. That said, I like everything I'm reading now, and I'm interested in ordering a few items to try. Just when I'm about to pull the trigger, I review the AMA you all did last month and find that the size charts for your jackets and pants that was provided there doesn't match up with what I was told in an email I received from customer service a few days ago. I'm looking at 42L and 44L jackets in both slim and modern, and 36 and 38 pants in both slim and modern. Is there anywhere I can go to get the specific measurements for those sizes?

Comment

Originally posted by DManX04 View Post
                        So I keep doing research on you guys because of the issues everyone had with the website copy and product labeling last year and the fact that this whole notion of a 100% wool, half-canvassed suit for $160 seems absurd. That said, I like everything I'm reading now, and I'm interested in ordering a few items to try. Just when I'm about to pull the trigger, I review the AMA you all did last month and find that the size charts for your jackets and pants that was provided there doesn't match up with what I was told in an email I received from customer service a few days ago. I'm looking at 42L and 44L jackets in both slim and modern, and 36 and 38 pants in both slim and modern. Is there anywhere I can go to get the specific measurements for those sizes?
                        Did you try opening a chat with their support? I did this a while back and they were able to provide any measurement I requested.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex View Post
                          Did you try opening a chat with their support? I did this a while back and they were able to provide any measurement I requested.
                          I emailed customer support, and they sent back measurements (and were very helpful and responsive to other questions/requests). They just don't match up with the charts that were posted in the AMA last month. I think it's just a typo and some of the information was copied from the wrong size, but I want to be sure before I order.

Comment

[MENTION=6364]DManX04[/MENTION] I ordered the 44L/38 slim. I'm about 6'4" and 235 lbs. The 36 inseam was far too tight in places I did not want it to be. The 38 was just right.

Comment

Originally posted by firemunkee View Post
                              Each breast had your standard big jacket pocket, then the left breast had two small pockets, one below the large pocket, and one near the bottom of the jacket. Plus on the outside two standard pockets, ticket pocket, pocket square pocket, that's eight pockets!
                              I was writing from memory and I was wrong. Inside the left breast there is only one large pocket and one small pocket. Oops

Comment

Recieved some pants today. Got the chocolate brown, light gray, and charcoal chinos. I'm sending back the light gray and chocolate brown ones, but I want to remark that I actually really like the color of the brown chinos. It's a pretty, rich color of brown I think. They really pop despite being so dark.

Anyways, with my order came this really beautiful booklet covering the new products, some of which havent been mentioned here.

Chino Blazers- olive, blue, or khaki. Slim fit only. $70

Travel Bag- 100% cotton canvas, charcoal only. $90

Red and navy cubed gingham button down collar 85% cotton/15% wool, $40. I am mentioning this because of the wool content. Thats new.

Overcoat- 100% wool slim fit only. Dark gray. $120

Peacoat- 100% wool. Slim fit dark gray only. $100

Herringbone tux shirt- slim fit only, 100% preshrunk italian cotton.

Satin black bowtie- 100% silk. $16

Nailhead suit- gray and tan. Super 140s wool. Slim fit only. $200

An oddity to note, the price for the plaid suits that just came out are listed as $240 instead of $220 in the booklet.

Are the slim fit offerings really that much more popular? I'm slightly disappointed about the peacoat and blazers being slim fit only because I'm concerned they will be tight on me. Although with the peacoat it doesnt look truly slim fitting, just slim fitting compared to a standard fitting navy issued peacoat. Fingers crossed I'm right because I'm holding out buying a peacoat until the CG version comes out in 2 weeks. Poor timing, though. Should have been out this past week.
                                Last edited by mike dragon; November 8, 2014, 01:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X