No announcement yet.

Combatant Gentleman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got my 3 in last night. I was going to throw in a nice big write up, but lax pretty much covered all the bases. A few quick observations/comparisons from me;

Packaging: Not that this matters all this much, but it comes in a very sturdy well designed box. Even my front desk woman commented that it was nice.

Material: Soft to the touch, very comparable to my Charles Tyrwhitt shirt, though I'd give CT the slight edge. Definitely a step above Express. A bit below Brooks Brothers.

Wrinkling: Mine actually weren't even too wrinkled coming out of the packaging (quick steam got them out). My Express shirts are wrinkled by the time I put them on. My CT shirts, wrinkled if I wear them all day. My BB shirts barely wrinkle. I'd say this is somewhere in between CT and BB.

Fit: I have extra slim fits from Express, CT and BB. I actually believe these shirt fit better then all of them. I'm 5-11, 170-175 pounds, 15.5 neck. Best fitting suit is a 36R London fit from Suit Supply. These fit me great in the shoulders and slim nicely down.

Construction: No issues with the buttons, they feel well made. The shirt is a bit longer then some of my other dress shirts, which means I definitely can't get away with going untucked casual with them. I'm a fan of the collars and I'm glad they switched to removable collar stays (as I have plenty of NeoStays I'd prefer to use).

Value: I got the Gilt deal (as my first, so 37$ for 100$) and you can't beat that. At full price these are comparable to CT and Express shirts (when on sale - which they always are) and slightly below the price point I buy BB shirts (always try to find 40-50 ones on clearance). I think these shirts compare very favorably to CT shirts and are well worth the $30-40 investment.

Overall: I think I found a new staple, if they can release a few more styles in the slim fit, I'll be ordering again. For reference, I went with the classic blue and lavender and also the black gingham check. I'll try to circle back in a few months to see how these have held up.

Advice: Release a casual shirt section! With similar dimensions to the slim fit of course

If anyone has any questions, just let me know and I'll try my best to answer them.

Comment

Hello there, I created a username just to ask a couple of questions, although I've been lurking on and off for a while.

1. When do you expect to get more 44R of the Modern Fit in stock? I'm assuming that we are currently in the transition period for the poly-blend to 100% wool and whatever new stock that will appear will indeed be the 100% wool.

2. Will there be another Gilt City deal in the future? I'm bummed that I missed out on it.

BTW I first found about Combatant Gent because my manager brought the box into the office to give it to UPS (had to exchange a size) and I can attest to what Damix said about it being very nice. In fact, a small crowd started congregating around the box and asking questions about the brand, which is what led me to decide to get one. I just need the 44R in stock!

Comment

Hey Damix,

Thanks so much for the review and glad you liked the shirts!

As per your notes - We have 33 new shirt styles coming out next month. Amongst those we have 12 more casual styles as well as more collar options.

Please let me know if you need anything further in the meantime!

Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by Sons of Thunder View Post
          Hello there, I created a username just to ask a couple of questions, although I've been lurking on and off for a while.

1. When do you expect to get more 44R of the Modern Fit in stock? I'm assuming that we are currently in the transition period for the poly-blend to 100% wool and whatever new stock that will appear will indeed be the 100% wool.

2. Will there be another Gilt City deal in the future? I'm bummed that I missed out on it.

BTW I first found about Combatant Gent because my manager brought the box into the office to give it to UPS (had to exchange a size) and I can attest to what Damix said about it being very nice. In fact, a small crowd started congregating around the box and asking questions about the brand, which is what led me to decide to get one. I just need the 44R in stock!

Hey Sons,

Thanks for reaching out!

1. The 44R's should be in stock in 2 weeks!
          2. Yes - we will be doing it again shortly. We are just getting the data back from our first run and it was completely sold out, so there is definitely room to continue working with them.

Great to hear that your co-worked got his correct sizing!!

Please let me know if you have any further questions in the meantime.

Thanks,

Comment

Just bit the bullet and ordered a 38r x 32 slim navy suit. I have a gala next Friday so hopefully it arrives by then.

Going to pair it with some new cole haan british oxford wingtips and one of these (any recommendations/concerns?)

Comment

Hey Jody,

What color shirt?

Comment

Originally posted by vishaalmelwani View Post
                Hey Jody,

What color shirt?
                First - my order shipped (wooo!)

Second - Probably white.

Comment

[MENTION=2550]pratyk[/MENTION] is that true? I gotta believe you can source Super 140s for cheaper

Comment

Originally posted by jody View Post
                    First - my order shipped (wooo!)

Second - Probably white.
                    Hey Jody,

Great to hear!

With the navy I'd go for the petite gingham. It'll give off some good contrast and a sense of excitement. That's just my opinion, but all would work well with the Navy/white shirt combo!

Thanks,

Comment

Have any pics?

Originally posted by Damix View Post
                      Got my 3 in last night. I was going to throw in a nice big write up, but lax pretty much covered all the bases. A few quick observations/comparisons from me;

Packaging: Not that this matters all this much, but it comes in a very sturdy well designed box. Even my front desk woman commented that it was nice.

Material: Soft to the touch, very comparable to my Charles Tyrwhitt shirt, though I'd give CT the slight edge. Definitely a step above Express. A bit below Brooks Brothers.

Wrinkling: Mine actually weren't even too wrinkled coming out of the packaging (quick steam got them out). My Express shirts are wrinkled by the time I put them on. My CT shirts, wrinkled if I wear them all day. My BB shirts barely wrinkle. I'd say this is somewhere in between CT and BB.

Fit: I have extra slim fits from Express, CT and BB. I actually believe these shirt fit better then all of them. I'm 5-11, 170-175 pounds, 15.5 neck. Best fitting suit is a 36R London fit from Suit Supply. These fit me great in the shoulders and slim nicely down.

Construction: No issues with the buttons, they feel well made. The shirt is a bit longer then some of my other dress shirts, which means I definitely can't get away with going untucked casual with them. I'm a fan of the collars and I'm glad they switched to removable collar stays (as I have plenty of NeoStays I'd prefer to use).

Value: I got the Gilt deal (as my first, so 37$ for 100$) and you can't beat that. At full price these are comparable to CT and Express shirts (when on sale - which they always are) and slightly below the price point I buy BB shirts (always try to find 40-50 ones on clearance). I think these shirts compare very favorably to CT shirts and are well worth the $30-40 investment.

Overall: I think I found a new staple, if they can release a few more styles in the slim fit, I'll be ordering again. For reference, I went with the classic blue and lavender and also the black gingham check. I'll try to circle back in a few months to see how these have held up.

Advice: Release a casual shirt section! With similar dimensions to the slim fit of course

If anyone has any questions, just let me know and I'll try my best to answer them.

Comment

Originally posted by rxl View Post
                        [MENTION=2550]pratyk[/MENTION] is that true? I gotta believe you can source Super 140s for cheaper
                        You gotta use quote man, this seems like it's the wrong thread.

Comment

Hi There,

I am very interested in the lineup and might pick up a bunch of items in the future for slim fit tops (from what can be observed online, excellent style, fit, fabric) and good selection.

However, for the slim fit suits

1) I want to comment that they look great overall but the slash/hacked pockets are dealbreaker for me. Not a fan of the look and I know in certain circles wouldn't be welcome.
                          2) I wish you offered the same striped option in slim fit in navy that is available in gray and black. The stripes look nice and tasteful (more shadowy) and a navy stripe is a staple in finance circles.

If you offered a navy stripe with regular pockets, I would pick this up in a heartbeat and I suspect others would as well as the navy stripe is also a staple, especially in certain professions. Also, I can't be the only one that feels the same way about the pockets so I hope you would consider making adjustments to the lineup going forward.

Maybe OT, but are the lapels too thin for a conservative setting or only "suitable" for the fashion-forward crowd? Having not seen them up close, to me they look just wide enough but I would never go any thinner.

Comment

Got my Athletic Fit navy in the other day. All around I'm very happy with it considering the price I got after the GILT deal. I wear a 42-44 in the shoulders and I'm not quite slim enough for a slim fit, so I went with the athletic fit. Pants were true to size and easy to tailor, and the jacket fits me perfect in the shoulders on the 44. The middle is a little boxy and might need to get tailored, but for my work needs it's great. I'll probably be picking up a few more for around the office.

Comment

you should share some fit pics

Comment

Originally posted by spencerleejenkins View Post
                                Got my Athletic Fit navy in the other day. All around I'm very happy with it considering the price I got after the GILT deal. I wear a 42-44 in the shoulders and I'm not quite slim enough for a slim fit, so I went with the athletic fit. Pants were true to size and easy to tailor, and the jacket fits me perfect in the shoulders on the 44. The middle is a little boxy and might need to get tailored, but for my work needs it's great. I'll probably be picking up a few more for around the office.
                                Where did you find the athletic fit? I only see slim fit and modern fit. I'm still waiting for my slim fit navy to arrive, but I have a feeling that it'll be too tight for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X