No announcement yet.

Combatant Gentleman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been checking daily for the Slim Fit Navy Suit in 36s/30 and it's finally in stock. Placed an order, but I didn't get a chance to get the Gilt coupon.

Comment

Originally posted by vishaalmelwani View Post
      We should be shipping within 1 or 2 biz days. We are re-stocking as we speak.

Thanks,
      It looks like the modern fit is now 100% wool. Is that the case?

Comment

Originally posted by Damix View Post
        With the gilt coupon (plus first time discount) I decided to take a chance on 3 slim fit shirts. Will circle back here when I get them.
        I also bought a few and will give my thoughts. May also give the Oxfords a spin.

Comment

I just got confirmation that the navy is now 100% wool and it's navy not striped, I believe. The other two colors will be changing to 100% wool soon.

Comment

Originally posted by shockfinder View Post
            I just got confirmation that the navy is now 100% wool and it's navy not striped, I believe. The other two colors will be changing to 100% wool soon.
            Yep - sorry I didn't see that you had asked here.

Thanks,

Comment

Vishaal,

I was chatting with someone on your staff last week who mentioned that you should be receiving 34R and 34L in stock. I've been checking online and hadn't seen those come in yet, so I was hoping you could confirm when/if those will drop and if it would be before the GiltCity deal expires (05/27)

Thanks,
              Alex

Comment

Hey Alex,

The 34R will be in stock well before the deal expires. I am running through what is coming in now, and we should have it by end of this week. The 34L is still in production. I am hoping to have it in stock by the 15th April. If you don't mind could you ping my e-mail directly so I can let you know as soon as it comes in?

[email protected]

Thanks so much and sorry for the inconvenience about the sizes!

Originally posted by Alex View Post
                Vishaal,

I was chatting with someone on your staff last week who mentioned that you should be receiving 34R and 34L in stock. I've been checking online and hadn't seen those come in yet, so I was hoping you could confirm when/if those will drop and if it would be before the GiltCity deal expires (05/27)

Thanks,
                Alex

Comment

CG Shirt Review: First Impressions

I received three CG shirts in the mail today (Classic White Herringbone, Classic Blue Herringbone, Windowpane Pink & White--all slim fit). Here are my first impressions.

Note--all observations, unless otherwise stated, are made in comparison to shirts in the same price range.

Fabric
                  -Herringbone: very soft to touch. Cloth is lightweight but thicker than your typical broadcloth cotton or poplin. Comparable to Banana Republic, but better all-around--far less stiff and a tad heavier. The weave (pictured in album) is noticeable from a decent distance and adds some depth to the shirt. Feels supple and is refreshing, compared to the thin broadcloth shirts occupying the same pricepoint and the scratchy non-iron shirts that are staple office-wear. Very impressed for the price. More on the fabric in the "Fit" section.

-Windowpane: a more traditional broadcloth, which is decently soft to touch as well, but a little less remarkable. A bit thinner and more lightweight, which is just the nature of a broadcloth shirt. Still, it's relatively soft for a broadcloth shirt, and the windowpane pattern is decently detailed through the shirt. The CG broadcloth is a similar fabric quality to BR, while the Herringbone surpassed it. More on the fabric in the "Fit" section.

-NOTE: I cannot speak to their "wrinkle resistant" tendencies, as listed on the CG web site. I haven't ironed these yet or worn them out. They come fairly wrinkled out of the package, which probably isn't a great omen, but I will update this review after experience.

Design
                  -Armholes: Very high. Great for a slim fit, maybe problematic for someone with beefier shoulders. Consider sizing up or going with a modern fit if you're topheavy. Hoping this means your shirt will stay tucked longer throughout the day.

-Collar: Semi-spread collar that resembles a traditional point collar. This is no wimpy little collar that usually comes with slim fit shirts. Personally, I prefer a more modern spread collar (without the forward point). I think a point collar can look a little goofy without a tie. Case in point, the forward points on these collars float out quite wide when worn without a tie. Collar also comes at nearly the same stiffness as the fabric, which is pretty soft. A little starch will fix this, but I would prefer if it came a bit stiffer out of the box.

-Length: Tail comes with plenty of extra fabric. Had no problem tucking in on medium-rise and low-rise jeans.

-Sleeves: Double-button cuffs are always appreciated. Cuffs are also a little on the short side. Sleeves run maybe just a tad small, which actually helps with the tailored look (see "Fit" section below).

-Construction: no loose buttons as previously reported. A few loose threads here and there on each of the shirts, but nothing major.

Fit
                  -Excellent overall. I switch between a 15.5/34 and a 16/34 depending on the shirtmaker--the 15.5 fit me better here. Shoulders run a tad snug, especially with the high armholes. Waist is nicely tapered, so there was minimal bunching on the shirt when tucked in. The Herringbone runs tighter than the broadcloth due to the thicker fabric.

-There's a natural stretchiness to both fabrics (Herringbone & broadcloth), so the shirt complements your chest, arms and shoulders in a flattering way as you move around. Ordering a slim fit shirt sometimes accentuates all your wrong parts (makes you look scrawny). The cut and fabric of these shirts are quite flattering. A nicely tailored look overall. The natural qualities of the fabric really do work well with the slim fit. You don't get that kind of symbiosis with your typical shirt, especially in this price range.

Suggestions (for Vishaal)
                  -Provide better pictures of the shirts online. The fabrics here are quite nice, and some close-up photos would bring that out. The models wearing the shirts with the top button buttoned (without wearing a tie) look goofy.

-Consider moving to a more modern spread collar. I personally don't like the forward point, but this is just personal preference. I don't love how forward points sit when you wear them untied.

-Get starchier on the collars. All of these shirts seem to be made for a work environment, so a stiffer collar (out of the box) would make sense. Again, buyers can fix this themselves.

-The extra-high armholes work for me, but they may not work for everyone. Lowering them just a tad may give the shoulders a bit more rest.

-Keep expanding the shirt line. I would like to see some multi-color shirts and some bolder designs. Especially in the herringbone fabric.

Conclusions & Comparison
                  -These shirts stack up great to Banana Republic and some of the department store house brands, and CG wins. And there's no need to play the BR and department store pricing games with CG. For what you pay, the fabric is impressive and the fit is great. Together, the shirts look quite flattering. Most of my criticisms are just personal preferences that don't bear upon the quality of the shirt. For CG's suits, you had to accept them for what they were (entry-level suits in the absolute bottom rung of the pricing index). Someone used to $500+ suits wasn't going to love what CG offers. But these shirts are a different story. I own quite a few Ledbury shirts, and I'd be pleased wearing CG shirts regularly (note: this is NOT to say that CG shirts are comparable to Ledbury; at the same time, I can't afford to wear a Ledbury shirt everyday).

-After this initial purchase, I DEFINITELY want to buy a few more CG shirts. I would love to try out the Oxfords as well, and I probably will soon.

-As a caveat, I have not tested out how wrinkle-resistant these shirts are. A shirt that crumples into honeycombs after a few hours is useless to me. I hope they perform as promised online. I will gladly pay a little more for **naturally** wrinkle-resistant shirt.

Pictures: http://imgur.com/a/Q9ZQr (note--these are a little less flattering than they could have been, since I tried them on directly out of the box, without any ironing).
                  Last edited by lax101; March 11, 2014, 03:34 AM.

Comment

I like the collar with the tie on. How do they look tieless with a sportcoat?

Comment

Hey Lax,

First off thanks for the time you took to get me this feedback. F'ing amazing!

I'll go ahead and run through your suggestions and give you my thoughts etc...

-Provide better pictures of the shirts online. The fabrics here are quite nice, and some close-up photos would bring that out. The models wearing the shirts with the top button buttoned (without wearing a tie) look goofy.

On it - We are constantly toying with what would look best online, as well as keep the site swift and nimble. We are in the process or re-doing a lot of shots to show the fabrics at a much higher resolution.
                      Agreed on the top button thing - It was an oversight by our stylists and it's been a discussion in the office since. We'll take care of that asap.

-Consider moving to a more modern spread collar. I personally don't like the forward point, but this is just personal preference. I don't love how forward points sit when you wear them untied.
                      On it's way. We will be offering 3 collars within the next few months. 1. Traditional 2. Semi-Spread (as you have) 3. Wide Spread

-Get starchier on the collars. All of these shirts seem to be made for a work environment, so a stiffer collar (out of the box) would make sense. Again, buyers can fix this themselves.
                      Glad you mentioned this - this was actually a early complaint that the collars were too starchy based off of our first couple of runs. A lot of our guys like to wear the shirts with a blazer and no tie and they wanted more of a relaxed look. Let me sit on this one for a few days to see if there is something I can work on to find a happy middle.

-The extra-high armholes work for me, but they may not work for everyone. Lowering them just a tad may give the shoulders a bit more rest.
                      This is new for the 2nd run of our slim fits. The reason I raised the armholes was mainly for posture and also to give the chest enough room so there wasn't a pull on the center button. I also wanted the shoulder blades to have some extra room as well. The one thing I notice with a lot of slim fit shirts in the market, is that they seem to think that "slim fit" means "regular fit" just graded down a few sizes.
                      I'll keep this on top of mind as we re-work the pattern.

-Keep expanding the shirt line. I would like to see some multi-color shirts and some bolder designs. Especially in the herringbone fabric.
                      Yes! It's on its way. Our first goal was nailing the fit. Next up, More selection!

Comment

Originally posted by vishaalmelwani View Post
                        Hey Lax,

First off thanks for the time you took to get me this feedback. F'ing amazing!

I'll go ahead and run through your suggestions and give you my thoughts etc...

On it - We are constantly toying with what would look best online, as well as keep the site swift and nimble. We are in the process or re-doing a lot of shots to show the fabrics at a much higher resolution.
                        Agreed on the top button thing - It was an oversight by our stylists and it's been a discussion in the office since. We'll take care of that asap.

On it's way. We will be offering 3 collars within the next few months. 1. Traditional 2. Semi-Spread (as you have) 3. Wide Spread

Glad you mentioned this - this was actually a early complaint that the collars were too starchy based off of our first couple of runs. A lot of our guys like to wear the shirts with a blazer and no tie and they wanted more of a relaxed look. Let me sit on this one for a few days to see if there is something I can work on to find a happy middle.

This is new for the 2nd run of our slim fits. The reason I raised the armholes was mainly for posture and also to give the chest enough room so there wasn't a pull on the center button. I also wanted the shoulder blades to have some extra room as well. The one thing I notice with a lot of slim fit shirts in the market, is that they seem to think that "slim fit" means "regular fit" just graded down a few sizes.
                        I'll keep this on top of mind as we re-work the pattern.

Yes! It's on its way. Our first goal was nailing the fit. Next up, More selection!
                        Thanks for the fast responses Vishaal!

I know you mentioned before that your next roll-out will include sportcoats and some new suit patterns. Will any tweaks to the shirt line be included with that roll-out? If so, when? Just planning for my next purchase from you folks. Debating if I should give the oxfords a shot or wait for something new.

Comment

Hey Lax,

By any chance do you play lacrosse, or are you from Los Angeles.. Had to ask - it's been bugging me because I played lax all through high-school/college and I miss the shit out of it.

As per the new shirts - yep we are constantly tweaking. We are doing a second release of the Oxfords with an even softer wash. Those won't be coming out until late spring, but these current Oxford's are getting a lot of positive response for being super durable and soft to the touch. They do run a tad bit slimmer than our normal slim fits due to the pleat in the back, but for the most part, our slim-fit fans really like them.

We have about 22 new fabrics coming out for regular shirting in the next month and a half and are looking to launch new styles every 5 weeks from there on out. Please feel free to shoot me any fabrics you are interested in seeing more of or something you want us to create from scratch. I'd love to get the feedback as we begin milling the fabrics soon!

Noted on the herringbones - those are super diverse and a nice spin on the basic poplin/broadcloth setup.

Thanks again!

Comment

Played lacrosse throughout youth and then briefly in college. The handle has just stuck since.

Very cool. I personally like twills (nice texture), and occasionally a very fine/dense broadcloth that brings out the details of a pattern quite well. Maybe a light, clean looking brushed flannel too. But no need to spread yourself thin on variety too fast. The different collars and a few new patterns are plenty to keep me excited. I'll give the oxfords a shot in the meantime, and maybe some others.

Comment

Also, do you know when the micro windowpane (in navy and black) will be re-stocking in 15.5?

Comment

Originally posted by lax101 View Post
                                Also, do you know when the micro windowpane (in navy and black) will be re-stocking in 15.5?
                                Hey Lax,

Thanks for the input! Greatly appreciated as we are sorting through new fabrics as we speak.

As per the micro windowpane we are expecting it back in stock in 3 weeks.

I'll let you know as soon as its back in.

Thanks,

Comment

Working...
                                X