X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by marathon View Post
    Sure, here's an example:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/300-Renoir-3...item1e79d13d8f

Check out the left sleeve. Same label as in Joe's review. Check out the picture of the inside lining of the jacket. Lining material, fabrics, trimming, pockets, all the same as the CG jacket.
    Wow. I went from itching to spend money with these guys, to hoping they got some issues fixed so I could buy something, to looking at them shifty-eyed. Now, done. That's a pretty damning link, plus the quality issues mentioned above, plus Joe's review, plus the misleading issues discussed ad nauseum above. Not going to happen. What a drag. This really seemed like an awesome option for me. Good fabric+ good cut+ amazing price+ Vishaal's engagement= perfect. But the fabric isn't what we thought, the cut gets mixed reviews (at best), the price is beat on eBay for the same suit, and Vishaal seems to be selling some smoke. What's left to like?

Comment

The suits are $70-$90 on eBay. CG's are $160-$200.
      Not trying to defend them, since it's clearly the same manufacturer, but the eBay suits are all polyester and viscose. The CG suits are some sort of wool blend which is probably accounts for some of the mark up.

(and LOL at the "Super 120s" polyester tag)

Comment

Didn't the owner state that the new run of shirts will have removable collar stays? I'm definitely of the same opinion that I don't buy dress shirts without this feature (even Kenneth Cole Reaction shirts I picked up for $20 have this option).

Comment

Originally posted by Fred G. Unn View Post
          Not trying to defend them, since it's clearly the same manufacturer, but the eBay suits are all polyester and viscose. The CG suits are some sort of wool blend which is probably accounts for some of the mark up.

(and LOL at the "Super 120s" polyester tag)
          Fixed:
          Wool in Black, $79 new by Renoir:
          http://www.ebay.com/itm/450-Renoir-4...item1e81c738eb

Wool in Gray, $119 new by Renoir (same linings, etc):
          http://www.ebay.com/itm/450-Renoir-3...item1e7ddd6326

Comment

Damn these Chinese manufacturers taking CG's suits and relabeling them as their own.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
              Damn these Chinese manufacturers taking CG's suits and relabeling them as their own.
              OK, that is funny. Seriously though, I might try out one of those eBay suits.

Comment

Really hope the owner comes in to defend these discoveries. Pretty sad if they are just re-branded. No offense but it makes you want to question if even the "story" of the brand is credible (long lineage of tailors in the family etc etc.).

The presence of the company on the message board seems to have vanished and it has been well past the "holiday hiatus"

I kept giving this brand the benefit of the doubt because I liked that CG seemed to be making an effort to better the product. Ideally I was hoping that through the forums constructive criticism we all would end up with a cheap option for wardrobe staples and maybe even wardrobe variety pieces with the rumored sports coat line.

I guess I will wait for a response to the findings before I pass any further judgement but as of now it looks pretty grim.

Comment

Someone told me once that the difference between a Duracell and a store brand battery is often just the label applied at the end of the assembly line. Perhaps that's the case here. A standard process from a shared manufacturer and CG is adjusting fabric, fit, buttons, etc.

Comment

Someone told me once that the difference between a Duracell and a store brand battery is often just the label applied at the end of the assembly line. Perhaps that's the case here. A standard process from a shared manufacturer and CG is adjusting fabric, fit, buttons, etc.
                    So were paying for them to swap out cheap buttons for cheap buttons (what will be forever known as the CG Bullhorn Button-Gate)?

Comment

Is this really surprising? CG doesn't make their own suits, and whatever factory they're using doesn't make ends meet by just selling to CG.

Comment

Yea, here's to hoping things improve for these guys. I really hate passing judgement on people so I'll try to be careful about taking a condescending undertone.

I was at TJ Maxx the other day (dress sock, udershirt, and cheap tie SUPERSTORE) and saw they had a suit on the rack marked down to $50. any time there is a two-piece suit I take a gander even if it's not my size. What did I find? A black Renoir suit that looked STRIKINGLY similar to the navy one I own from CG... Even the rough lining inside the pockets felt identical... Sigh...

Comment

Originally posted by Danman2k06 View Post
                          Yea, here's to hoping things improve for these guys. I really hate passing judgement on people so I'll try to be careful about taking a condescending undertone.

I was at TJ Maxx the other day (dress sock, udershirt, and cheap tie SUPERSTORE) and saw they had a suit on the rack marked down to $50. any time there is a two-piece suit I take a gander even if it's not my size. What did I find? A black Renoir suit that looked STRIKINGLY similar to the navy one I own from CG... Even the rough lining inside the pockets felt identical... Sigh...
                          Well, if you like your CG suit, then you should go back and buy that Renoir for $50!

Comment

They even have the tuxes....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300-Renoir-4...item1e793b9fed

Comment

Someday this thread should be taught to budding entrepreneurs. The Promise and Pitfalls of E-commerce, New Media, and Social Network Engagement: the Combat Gent/Dappered Case Study.

Comment

This is what I call "scary cheap."

Comment

Working...
                                X