Combatant Gentleman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Morgan,

I'm actually making a video over the Holidays on our fused vs. half canvassed. As mentioned before here I think both have pros and cons - it really depends on who's making it. I've seen good and bad from all over the place.

Should be up soon!

Thanks,
    Last edited by vishaalmelwani; December 24, 2013, 04:14 AM. Reason: further thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by vishaalmelwani View Post
      This is helping me a lot in terms of UI/UX.
      This is absolutely key. To generalize what Fred advised:

Your product, at least from what I can tell, is solid value. To be frank, a 160 dollar wool suit that fits well exceeds most expectations I have (unless you're getting a ridiculously discounted SuitSupply or Ludlow or something), and of course things like half canvassing only add to that.

Where your company is picking up a lot of flak is the user interface (not even so much the user experience, although obviously there are going to be problems there that stem from the problems with the user interface). Pulling what I can find about what others think of you off places like reddit, I get a lot of "marketing makes me cringe" and "website looks awful". Also from what I can see online, it looks like you guys might be a touch understaffed for the attention you guys have been getting (and no doubt will get should you scale successfully).

There are quite a few problems with your site, and just looking around I noticed this:

"Q. How long will my order take to arrive?
      A. Patience grasshopper. We provide a quick turnaround to all purchases. For shipments within the United States, your order should arrive on your doorstep within 3-7 business days."

However, from what I can see, most people wait about 2 and a half weeks (reddit, here, etc.)

A lot of the dialogue on the site could also be labelled less than "professional." Which I suppose is alright if you're trying to achieve a relatable feel, but understand that if I'm going to drop 160 dollars on a suit because I can't afford a better one, 160 dollars is going to be a lot to me, and I want it going somewhere that I know I'm going to get my product with solid service, not necessarily to a nice guy. To put it in perspective, most people wouldn't just give somebody 160 dollars because they liked them (this is probably why being "relatable" might be alright for a place selling 8 dollar pocket squares, but not so much big ticket items like suits). For instance:

"A. We do like to get paid, so we accept major credit cards Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover."
      "Damn if it isn’t comfortable too, if we do say so ourselves."
      "If you’re looking for a suit that hangs over you like a poncho, that’s fine, but you won’t find it here."
      "Don’t thank us, it’s just what we do."
      And also, just the overall use of the word "damn".

I understand the unique marketing angle you're going for, but I advise you to give the professional-relatable tradeoff a little bit more thought. Don't just change it because I suggested it though; a big picture subjective item like this probably needs to be researched further, but I do think it should be researched and reconsidered.

In general, I think a UI/UX designer is going to be what makes or breaks you. Do some UX research (although frequenting forums like this is a pretty solid start), journey mapping and whatnot, and then adjust your interface accordingly. Bear in mind that when it comes to online only retailers, UI/UX can make a world of difference (see: Indochino. Such a good idea at such a good price point, and failed because the UI placed too much dependence on users being able to measure perfectly. There are no stupid users, only stupid products. Imagine what a different world it would be for Indochino if their UI consisted of "in addition to measurements, send in three pictures of yourself, full body, front, back, side, in well fitting clothing" and they were able to perfectly rederive measurements from there electronically.)

Comment

To elaborate on what Mikey posted, that sort of irreverent marketing can be done well, but it's really a fine line between funny and grating. Take for example Schiit Audio: http://schiit.com/
        I own a DAC and headphone amp from them that I use with my laptop. Their name is ridiculous and so is most of their marketing copy. Their products sound amazing though and they were founded by two industry veterans from Theta and Sumo so they already had high end audio cred when they began. While their descriptions are very colorful their specs are just straightforward. I would be shocked to hear they were misleading in their specs. I think that's why the irreverence works for them, they can be as goofy as they want with descriptions but they are all business when it comes to the specs of the product. I think that's where CG crossed the line. They tried to pull off the irreverent marketing thing but then they weren't totally honest about the product so it comes off badly.

I would add for an online only company, especially one with this sort of marketing, the customer service component needs to be superb as well. I placed 2 orders from Schiit Audio, and on one order FedEx lost the box. When I called Schiit they instantly resent the package via USPS and said to return the FedEx package if it ever showed up. (It never did.) That sort of service builds a lot of goodwill and is one reason I definitely recommend their products even though their name and marketing is silly.

Comment

Hey Mikey,

Thanks for the well thought out notes. There is some amazing value here and thank you for your time.

The UI/UX is something that we have been working on mastering since day #1. We have iterated the site as much as we've iterated the product. It's a constant sector in which we know is going to be ever-evolving. I am taking note of your disdain for the copy on the pages and I appreciate your honesty. Internally, this has been something that we have been tossing back and forth for quite sometime, so I am adding this to the board. Not to mention we just picked up a new copywriter to help us with such things

Speaking personally as a business owner here - I'm learning that there is a constant balance between brand awareness/value proposition/ and just overall messaging. We aren't paying some high-end consultancy to help us generate a bunch of bull shit, instead we decided to let our consumers tell us what they would like to see more of or what to axe. Hence the reason for me being on dappered. Our goal is to grow the SKU base and have a varied amount of product - suits, shirts, ties, etc... in all sorts of construction methods. The reason we decided to launch with the $160 suit is because we wanted to provide our introductory consumer with we call Absurd Value Obviously since supply-chain and technology is the heart and soul of this company we are able to scale upwardly from there. Offering a slue of well-made products for varied price points such as: fused suiting, half-canvassed, full-canvassed, 100% cotton shirting, 100% Selvedge denim etc... - is our outright long-term goal. We would like to provide this value eventually to all markets, not just introductory. Please keep in mind we've only had this product for 6 months. That's why I think it's so important to take it to the consumer to get a good feel for what they are looking for and what problems we can help solve.

At the end of the day we are product makers and tech-inspired guys. We launched this company to help those who didn't want to go to Men's Wearhouse, etc... We have been in tight situations where clothing matters, but our wallets have been empty. We want to provide a solution and we will continue to do so.

Thanks for all the learning Dappered fellas - I will report back when we have iterated the site yet again. Happy Holidays to all of you guys!!

Comment

Originally posted by Fred G. Unn View Post
            To elaborate on what Mikey posted, that sort of irreverent marketing can be done well, but it's really a fine line between funny and grating. Take for example Schiit Audio: http://schiit.com/
            I own a DAC and headphone amp from them that I use with my laptop. Their name is ridiculous and so is most of their marketing copy. Their products sound amazing though and they were founded by two industry veterans from Theta and Sumo so they already had high end audio cred when they began. While their descriptions are very colorful their specs are just straightforward. I would be shocked to hear they were misleading in their specs. I think that's why the irreverence works for them, they can be as goofy as they want with descriptions but they are all business when it comes to the specs of the product. I think that's where CG crossed the line. They tried to pull off the irreverent marketing thing but then they weren't totally honest about the product so it comes off badly.

I would add for an online only company, especially one with this sort of marketing, the customer service component needs to be superb as well. I placed 2 orders from Schiit Audio, and on one order FedEx lost the box. When I called Schiit they instantly resent the package via USPS and said to return the FedEx package if it ever showed up. (It never did.) That sort of service builds a lot of goodwill and is one reason I definitely recommend their products even though their name and marketing is silly.
            Hey Fred,

Thanks for the notes. You guys have been really helpful. We are on it. Stay tuned...

Comment

Vishaal, I gotta ask - is this forum where you've had the most...... constructive criticism?

Comment

Originally posted by scrambledpotato View Post
                Vishaal, I gotta ask - is this forum where you've had the most...... constructive criticism?
                Hey ScrambledPotato,

I'd say so. I mean you got to have thick skin when you're going out there and asking people for comments/criticisms etc especially on a young product... Reddit seems to have a lot of the more cynical self-proclaimed "know-it-alls" as I am sure many of you are well-versed with.

Thanks,

Comment

I've been following the thread because frankly it's been pretty interesting and while I haven't had much to contribute (since I have no need of a suit in the foreseeable future) I will say that Vishaal does have thick skin. He's taken the criticism very well.

Fred mentioned MrPorter earlier and I agree that I love the way they give you information and specs for each item on there. I love how they tell you their take on the sizing - TTS or size down, etc. I also like sites that tell you what size the model is wearing and the models height and weight measurements so you have a reference to compare against.

Comment

Hey Vicious,

Thanks for the thoughts. Agreed - definitely liking the way MrPorter breaks down the product. We are actively building through the Holidays to get similar stats up on the site.

Thanks!

Comment

Not to beat a dead horse but it has almost been another full week since it was brought to your attention that on the main page of your site it states:

"THE STORY BEHIND OUR BUTTONS
                      Bullhorn buttons on non-functional buttonholes means you get to keep the bespoke look and feel while leaving alterations simple and staying affordable. And of course we took the time to set you up with an extra pair of buttons. Don’t thank us, it’s just what we do."

And you still havent changed it to what you are really giving your consumers. I understand it was the holidays but With all do repspect, unless you have changed to adding real bullhorn buttons this is knowingly false advertising and in my opinion stealing. WTH is going on here?

Comment

Originally posted by Shade View Post
                        Not to beat a dead horse but it has almost been another full week since it was brought to your attention that on the main page of your site it states:

Bullhorn buttons on non-functional buttonholes means you get to keep the bespoke look and feel while leaving alterations simple and staying affordable. And of course we took the time to set you up with an extra pair of buttons. Don’t thank us, it’s just what we do."

And you still havent changed it to what you are really giving your consumers. I understand it was the holidays but With all do repspect, unless you have changed to adding real bullhorn buttons this is knowingly false advertising and in my opinion stealing. WTH is going on here?
                        Hey Shade,

Trust me, I'm on it... Changes will be pushed shortly. If you want to PM me with your direct e-mail I can let you know as soon as it's been changed.

Thanks,

Comment

I'm by no means an apologist for the brand and tbh I'll probably never purchase something from CG, but dude, it's the holidays. We piled on him about this last week, I'm pretty sure it's near the top of his to-do list.

Comment

Have you purchased a suit yet? Or are you just complaining for the sake of complaining?

No affiliation with the company, but I think the suit I received is a great value and would encourage anybody to purchase it.

With that out of the way, he's given you a pretty reasonable explanation as to why the information on the website is incorrect. Give him some time after the holiday rush to change it. It took them 2.5 weeks to get my suit out to me. I'm pretty sure they're swamped with other matters at this point in the year.

Think Shade might have a button fetish...

Comment

Originally posted by imliuwhoru View Post
                              complaining for the sake of complaining?
                              Welcome to the internet....
                              "Waste no time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." – Marcus Aurelius

Comment

Originally posted by sigtweed corduroy View Post
                                welcome to the internet....
                                "but the buttons!!! The buttttttttttttonnnnnnnnnnnnnns!"

"IT'S STEALING; BUTTON STEALING!!!"

Comment

Working...
                                X